Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #61
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
I was going to mask the areas where the paint joins with chrome trim tape, but I read that it doesn't bend around sharp curves very well. So I am using black instead. 1/4".

I think it will be somewhat snazzy, if I don't get too many bugs / orange peel (though the Ural paint is fairly orangepeely anyway).

Gotta get that tug running and roadworthy first, though! Though I probably ought to just go ahead and paint the frame when I get the motor out, so I don't have to pull it twice......

Do ya reckon I ought to leave the frame black? I was going to paint it in the same blue.
Hmm. If you paint the bike frame, then you hafta paint the car frame the same color. Black is easier to spot paint if any rust starts to bleed through.

Black frames with blue tank and tub looks OK. Or maybe white or silver would look good?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #62
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Hmmmmm, yeah. I'll just leave the frame black. It'll be ok with the black pinstriping tape. Black paint is cheaper, anyway, and I don't think I have enough blue to do the frame and still have enough left for everything else. >_>
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #63
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I finally got the axle bolt out. It ended up that the caliper mount was rusted fast to the axle. A whole lot of PB Blaster, a nut to keep the end of the axle from mushrooming, a sledgehammer, and a couple hours of worrying it back and forth finally got it out. So it seems I finally found something that makes my arms hurt more than driving a sidecar outfit with too much trail too fast. :P

Stripped off pretty much everything except the engine and triple trees (The exhaust is loose, but I'm not going to take it off until I pull the engine; afraid of bugs crawling in there and using the engine as a condo). Soon I shall have it all off and be able to fix the rust on the frame and paint the engine (it's starting to peel here and there, the engine I mean).

It seems a bit silly to me to do all that work without knowing if the engine is even any good, but it's going to be a while before the carbs are finished soaking and rebuilt, so I have to have something to do in the meantime... >_>

I got all the exhaust collars off without breaking any studs. Yay me! Seven of them weren't too bad, but one of them had me worried. Patience, PB Blaster, not too much torque on the ratchet, and lots of worrying back and forth usually gets 'em off of there eventually without breaking anything, though. :3

So, I am missing some mounting bits for the oil cooler (#6 below). And it looks like the holes on the bracket have been drilled out. -_-' It was originally screwed onto holes drilled in the fairing mount with english bolts, but I hung it from the frame with tie wire when I removed the fairing mount. Here's what I've got.....

The fiche is very busy, and I can't really tell whatall I am supposed to have to mount that thing. The fiche seems to indicate that I need 2x #30 and 2x #32, but the mountings on my frame are female threaded studs rather than male. O_o Any ideas? Is there supposed to be a #21 on top of the studs on the frame? If so, how do you think it attaches?

Old 08-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #64
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Did you drain the oil yet? What did it look like? Any water? If no water and it turns over you're probably golden. What do the plugs look like? How many miles on the OD?
Old 08-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #65
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Did you drain the oil yet? What did it look like? Any water? If no water and it turns over you're probably golden. What do the plugs look like?
I haven't drained the oil or had the plugs out yet. It probably has a shade of condensation in it from sitting out regardless, but I don't like the idea of the case sitting empty and getting more condensation in it until I am ready to drain it and pull the motor. The plugs I figure I'll just leave in for now, too, though I 'spose I ought to at least pull one and look at it. :P

That's kind of just an excuse, regarding the plugs. I'm going to fess up to something bad now....... *ducks*

I don't actually have an 18mm plug socket, and on the other bikes I have always just used one from the farm when I am down there changing my oil (proper disposal facilities down there), or fudged it with the closest english plug socket I have, since plugs don't need much torque anyway. >_> But I am half afraid these are seized and I want to get a proper-fitting socket before I go breaking them loose. If I round off some seized plugs with an ill-fitting socket, I'll be making sad-faces, breaking out the vice grips, discovering they won't fit down in there, and making even sadder faces....

Quote:
How many miles on the OD?
A hair over 20,000, or thereabouts. Pretty low for a touring-type bike, I think. There are people on the DOHC/4 forums that have 80 and 90k on them and they still run fine, so I think I'll be in good shape with a tuneup. They say that the key to getting lots and lots of miles out of these motors is to keep the valves in spec, checking them every 5k, along with the tension of the cam chains.

The rings are definitely not stuck. I was able to turn the engine over fairly easily by putting it in 5th/high on the centerstand and heaving on the rear wheel.

I must say though, I didn't realize that valve adjustments on these DOHC engines were such a pain. Valve shims. -_-'

Still, a basically free bike, I guess........
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #66
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Thumb Oil cooler

[

So, I am missing some mounting bits for the oil cooler (#6 below). And it looks like the holes on the bracket have been drilled out. -_-' It was originally screwed onto holes drilled in the fairing mount with english bolts, but I hung it from the frame with tie wire when I removed the fairing mount. Here's what I've got.....

The fiche is very busy, and I can't really tell whatall I am supposed to have to mount that thing. The fiche seems to indicate that I need 2x #30 and 2x #32, but the mountings on my frame are female threaded studs rather than male. O_o Any ideas? Is there supposed to be a #21 on top of the studs on the frame? If so, how do you think it attaches?

[/QUOTE]
Looks like 22 is a support plate for 7 which would be a rubber bush with a threaded rod through it (male both ends).
And maybe 7 is a grommet with 8 being a metal sleeve all held on by 30 & 32 (nut & washer)
Just guessin though.
Enjoying this as much as any build so far so stay with it.
Cheers, Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #67
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ah yes, so it appears!

I have a #7 on the oil cooler, pressed over the little tab on the bottom. I'm not sure what it's for. I have no #8 that I can see...

Leaf screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 06:40 PM
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #68
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My carb rubbers and such got here today, but I am still waiting on the float.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #69
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Dontcha love gettin parts in the mail? Like Christmas every time..
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #70
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Dontcha love gettin parts in the mail? Like Christmas every time..
... except that when the package arrives, I remember how much I spent on it. XD
Old 08-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #71
supermotosean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
1981 Honda CB900 Custom Subframe
Came off a 81 Honda CB900 Custom. Made by DMC. Let me know if you are interested. Not sure it's a 100% complete $100obo shipped.

Not sure if you need it or not, but just saw this in the hack want ads & thought of you
supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #72
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Ha, I just sent him a PM about this!
Obviously you'll have to change to clevises on the hack frame or weld the balls to this subframe, but easy enough.
$100- That's a steal. How come you have all the luck? How do you ride with the horseshoe up yer ass?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #73
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Doh, I think I sent the PM to the wrong guy. XD

New PM incoming! Lol.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #74
supermotosean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Doh, I think I sent the PM to the wrong guy. XD

New PM incoming! Lol.
NP, I did a miserable job of trying to quote from another thread Hope it helps/works out!
supermotosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #75
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In other news, my air filter and oil filter got here today.

Yep, only one oil filter. :P Once I am sure the bike is ok, I'm going to put a car filter adapter on it.

Too bad I am going to be traveling for work most of next week and won't have much time to fool with it. Maybe I'll take all my carb stuff with me and work on them in the hotels. I am sure housekeeping will love that.... >_>