User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #76
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Sh1bby69 is now $100 richer, and I reckon I have a subframe on the way. :3

Thank you, Sh1bby. You are hereby awarded the Leaf Medal of Awesome.

I admit that I am an awful, awful tightwad, and that my toes curl when I blink. I had an internal argument with myself over squeezing money out of my tight, tight wallet for something I could probably build myself with enough junk metal, time, headscratching, and mistakes, but I think I'm going to end up having to fork out $200 for a new petcock anyway, so I guess my tight nature just hasn't been keeping up with inflation! :P

Let's reexamine the totals.... :3

Tug: $205.95

Hack: $850 shipped plus $100 subframe = $950

Total so far: $1155.95

If I stay under $1500, this will be a nice machine for the <$1500 thread. Or am I thinking of a different forum? >_>
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #77
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,075
Don't forget that link for Dean at Balto Cyle Salvage. He won't sell you a bad part. $200 for a petcock?- no f***in way!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #78
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I tend to exaggerate. :P

New OEM petcocks are listed at $77.19 on Service Honda. Strangely, examples on ebay are listed at higher prices. O_o
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #79
sh1bby69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
Sh1bby69 is now $100 richer, and I reckon I have a subframe on the way. :3

Thank you, Sh1bby. You are hereby awarded the Leaf Medal of Awesome.

I admit that I am an awful, awful tightwad, and that my toes curl when I blink. I had an internal argument with myself over squeezing money out of my tight, tight wallet for something I could probably build myself with enough junk metal, time, headscratching, and mistakes, but I think I'm going to end up having to fork out $200 for a new petcock anyway, so I guess my tight nature just hasn't been keeping up with inflation! :P

Let's reexamine the totals.... :3

Tug: $205.95

Hack: $850 shipped plus $100 subframe = $950

Total so far: $1155.95

If I stay under $1500, this will be a nice machine for the <$1500 thread. Or am I thinking of a different forum? >_>
Hurray!! Glad I can help out a fellow inmate! I'm currently working on getting mine together!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #80
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The subframe got here today! Thanks again!

I've been out of town for a week and a half, and have gotten behind on working on this thing. I think I might forget about pulling the motor and painting the frame, and just try to get it together and running.

Then I can tear it down this spring and do it right.....

Gotta have something for this winter, though. I'm not sure if the exhaust on the Hawk will survive through the winter unless I make time to tear it apart and paint everthing again, and the clutch feels like it's starting to slip more....
Old 08-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #81
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Back to work! Nothing but some pictures today, but I am hoping I can get a bunch of work knocked out over the long weekend.

I was briefly considering just putting it back together, getting it running, and not painting the frame, but I got to looking closer, and some of the motor mounts down under the battery tray are rusted pretty bad. I am not sure if I want to leave it like that all winter, and I don't want to drop the engine twice....

So I still think I'll drop the engine once, paint the frame, polish the engine, and then leave the rest of it ratty until I make sure the motor is ok.

I'll either have to chop the sidecar frame and put heim joints on it, or chop the subframe and put balls on it. Since I already have some balls off a CJ750, I'll probably do the latter, as much as I hate the idea of cutting on that fine piece of DMC kit.

The front subframe goes on the motor mounts, like so (this is just the lower mount; the upper eyebolt clamps 'round the downtube with an improved DMC version of the frame-crusher):

That one fits pretty good.

However, the crappy rusted out aftermarket exhaust is smack dab in the way of the rear subframe. It goes between the shock and centerstand mounts.

Here's the rear subframe where you can see it a little better.

So, I think I am going to have to make some kind of left-side exhaust. Seems to me that most aftermarket 4-1 exhausts for these things hang on the right, but I think if I could get an old ratty one on the cheap, I could cut it past the 4-joint, rotate it whole ass-end 180 degrees, and weld it back together, and maybe relocate a bracket somewhere. Voila, a left-side exhaust.

Anyone have a ratty old 900C 4-1 that isn't /too/ rusted out that they want to sell me on the cheap? :P
Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #82
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Call Dean. he may even have the stock exhaust. That subframe was probably engineered for use with stock pipes anyway.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #83
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll do that, but maybe after I make sure the motor is ok. :3

It looks like good condition OEM 4-into-4 exhausts for these things are ridiculously expensive. I might have to get a ratty OEM 4-4 and patch it up and put some cheap Harley take-offs on it or something, then paint/wrap the pipes.

Although it appears that 4/4 SOHC CB750/four exhaust will fit on it, with some of the tabs relocated, and is almost identical to the 900's stock exhaust. Those had a much longer production run, so maybe they are cheaper....
Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #84
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Grumble. The weather report is calling for rain all weekend, so I guess I shouldn't paint.

I really need a building.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #85
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I swear I haven't forgotten about this project, lol.

It's been a combination of work being awfully busy and trying to figure out how to build a bike barn before I continue, that's been eating my time lately. D:=
Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 AM   #86
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:

It's been a combination of work being awfully busy and trying to figure out how to build a bike barn before I continue, that's been eating my time lately. D:=

I was just wondering. The thread wasn't even on the first page anymore!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #87
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
We keep an eye on you... BigBrother (from the other end of the world) is watching you.

;-)

Nice builds, I just love your cheap 'n' simple approach.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #88
kshansen
kshansen

Oddometer: 172
Quote:

I've heard tell that if you have time to hold down a full time job you are in need of more projects!
kshansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #89
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I got a line on a running '82 900C with a pristine stock exhaust and little if any rust for around $1000.

Since it's getting so close to winter and I don't seem to have enough time for a big painting project right now, I think I might just get the 82, swap the triple trees from the 80 (while keeping the leading axle forks from the 82) to reduce trail for sidecar use, and ride it.

Then I can either use the 80 for parts, part it out, or fix it up and have a solo whenever I have the time....

If I get the '82, I'll just give the tub a quick wire brushing and a shot of cheap implement paint to hold it over until spring....

Edit: Still need a seat for the tub, though. Anyone have a Ural hack seat pan and back they want to get rid of? I don't care what condition the cover or foam is in. Or maybe I can cut something out of plywood....
Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #90
Leaf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Another Lawn Ornament!

So, I went and saw a guy about another CB900 Custom today, an '81 (although it was advertised as an '82). We ended up settling on $1200, which was probably $400 too much, but it's the best one I've seen on the local craigslists, and he was a really nice guy. His wife even invited me to dinner, and the food was amazing. Then we went down to his workshop and looked over his ZX10 project. I ended up inviting him over for a tour of the local twisties in the spring.

I geared up like I was expecting to get run off the road by the Lone Biker of the Apocalypse (questionable bikes scare me at high speeds, but on the other hand I don't want to throw down money unless I am sure that they run decently), and took the bike out for a test drive.

I'd never been on a running DOHC-4 before this, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

The guy lives up a long dirt road with deep gravel, so I was taking it pretty easy and puttering along with the throttle barely open out to the hardtop, because I didn't want to risk losing the thing in the gravel before deciding if I wanted it or not. :P The bike was pop-pop-popping on deceleration like a piece of crap all the way there, and I was starting to mentally kick myself in the hiney for driving all the way down there for something with burned valves.

Then I got it out onto the hardtop and cracked the throttle open about 3/4. It bogged for a second, but as soon as it got off the idle circuits, that thing let out a roar/scream the likes of which shook the foundations of the heavens themselves, the back tire shifted sideways a good 6 inches, and it took off down the road like a rocketship and pulled my eyeballs down my throat. I didn't get it past 3rd in low range. The speedometer cable is broken, so I don't know how fast the thing was going, but I'd guesstimate somewhere in the 90 MPH range. O_o I got scared and backed off, put it in 4th and cruised around at moderate RPMs. Never made it into 5th or high-5th. Gobs of torque everywhere, as long as I stayed up in the mid or main jets.

Same color as the parts bike. I think that between the two of them, I can put together a pretty nice machine.

... which is good, because the left sidecover is missing. I am pretty sure there is one in the parts bike box.

There is some rust on the starter cover. The one on the '80 has some rust too, but not as much. I think I'll clean the '80's up and swap them.

There is an oil leak around the tach drive. At first, I was afraid that it was the dreaded inner seal, but at second glance it looks like the outer seal is just missing and someone tried to stuff some RTV or something in there instead of fixing it proper-like. That'll be much easier to fix!

Stock 4-into-4 exhaust, which pleases me. They are hard to find nowadays.

But some bozo removed the baffles. The PO says it was the previous PO... Possibly this is the reason for the farting around at low RPMs, maybe in conjunction with partially clogged idle circuits (he said he hadn't started it for like 10 months before I got there). The internet says I can get baffles for $50/each. Ouch. But needed. I don't like loud bikes.

There is also an exhaust mount bolt missing! D:

Might have to paint the headers. I am not sure if that will buff out. If I have to paint them, I might wrap them, if I can find out whether wrap really does make them rust out again faster or not.

Someone cut the 2-3 crossover pipe off and welded a patch in, too. -_-' Also, oil leak around the filter cap, apparently. Not so big a deal with the filter cap, but I am not sure if I should leave the crossover off or try to make one. Might be able to cut the one off my junky aftermarket 4-into-2 and weld it in there, if I can get everything lined up right....

Crack in the fuse cover. I have one on the other bike that should fit.

Non-OEM bars. Much, much pullback, and very uncomfortable. I guess the OEM 900 bars will be coming back off the 400 and going on this bike instead. A shame, they make the 400 so much easier to steer! :<

The tank looks very good for being 31 years old. This is good, because the other tank is nothing but a rust farm!

Looks like someone spraypainted the engine cases without proper surface prep (there is overspray on one of the carb insulators). Hopefully it will buff off decently. If not, I guess I will swap covers from the other engine.

This shock cover is nasty, but the boots on both are still good. I'll probably rebuild the ones from the other bike and put the boots from this one on them. He says they hold air, but leak down slowly, so I guess it's a rebuild no matter which ones I use!

The rear brake locked up solid while I was unloading it at the Leaf Shack. Good thing that didn't happen while I was test-riding! D:= I broke open the banjo bolt and that loosened them up, so I reckon the rear MC must just be full of dirt. Hopefully a good cleaning will fix that and it won't need a rebuild. All the MCs and calipers on the other bike are locked up solid.

It also needs fork seals, but I didn't get a picture of that. The tubes are wonderfully smooth, though, unlike the pitted crap that is with the other bike.

So yeah, I think I paid too much for it, but it's the best 900 I've found. Time to stop fooling around with the box of junk and get something roadworthy before the snow hits. The 400 doesn't have a beefy enough charging system to run any heated gear....