david white
Wanderer

Oddometer: 144
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Coming Soon To A Thread Near You-

August 2012...The George Dubya

Ready to ride, the V649 pointed Northwest.

(to be continued...)
Bike looks bad!@@ JD. Must say though the red gets my vote...just sayin'. Great photos and story as always. Look forward to catching up on the story. How bout a black bike with a splash of orange next time around. Rough roads ahead, good luck, and safe travels
david white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #152
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
MTrider is out there this week, might have some weather.
Working on posting the pics. Weather was dry with smoke that limited the views. We went a bit slower and only got south to Bannack when we needed to turn back. Closest I got to the Gravelys was Sweetwater road from Dillon to Alder.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #153
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by david white View Post
Bike looks bad!@@ JD. Must say though the red gets my vote...just sayin'. Great photos and story as always. Look forward to catching up on the story. How bout a black bike with a splash of orange next time around. Rough roads ahead, good luck, and safe travels
hey David, been awhile. ya ridin' or still working your life away?

might do some remodeling on the bike this winter, change a few things, we'll see.

speaking of the the bike, you might remember this feature.

i was riding at Michaux State Forest yesterday, just scouting the gravel since i hadn't been there before.

stopped for fuel on the way back, and a twenty something guy in a beat to crap Jeep Cherokee leaned out the window...

"does that bike really have 649 horsepower?"

"yeah son, it really does."

"oh, way cool."

so besides the color, i think i have the HP situation covered.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #154
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Working on posting the pics. Weather was dry with smoke that limited the views. We went a bit slower and only got south to Bannack when we needed to turn back. Closest I got to the Gravelys was Sweetwater road from Dillon to Alder.
that does it, i'm going to have to get back out there and show ya around.

riding in Pennsylvania Friday, scouting some country, and there are some nice roads to be found...

but it's not the mountain west.

i don't see any of these signs in Virginia, West Virginia either.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #155
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Ok, here we go again...

THE WILDS OF STARBUCKISTAN-September, 2012

(to be continued...)
Old 09-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #156
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,854
I didn't know that they had opened a Starbucks in Michaux.

JDR shout out from my thread>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
JDRocks did me right two nights in a row up here. He was watching my progress on my spot and saw me heading for a hotel room free zone. I had planned on riding hwy 2 the entire way from Havre MT to the Mackinac bridge that joins the UP and the mitten. He knew that because of the natural gas/oil boom had taken up every room in a 200 mile radius, I wasn't going to find a place to stay. Unfortunately, this was confirmed by RFlagg42 a month later. RFlagg was doing a rally and slept outside with no camping gear.
JDRocks also turned me on to Ashland WI and the River Rock Inn and Bait Shop. This was a nice lil town up on Lake Superior, and the Inn had the nicest room I stayed in for this entire trip.
Thank you again Sir!

I liked the little town so much that I actually took some photos!!!

Later Ashland.

Jax' mediocre photo thread.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #157
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
I didn't know that they had opened a Starbucks in Michaux.
not in you're beloved Michaux...yet. besides, isn't the Starbucks experience meant to be transitional, sort of a state of mind, take it with you hither and yon.

this isn't a report on Michaux, but 550 miles of Virginia and West Virginia on Sunday, whew, i was ready to be home after Starbuckistan.

glad the travel advisory worked out for you, my friend, it's quite a scene across North Dakota and eastern Montana. when i went through there in 2011 on my way down from the YT, i had my wife do an internet search of some towns in eastern North Dakota along hwy 2, a road i'd been on many times. she found a room and paid for it, but when i got there at 10pm in a driving rain with 50mph winds, the motel had given the room to someone else. i stood my ground, and the motel rousted some guy out of a room, cleaned it, and moved me in. $80 for a room that was worth $18 anywhere else, a booming free market economy at work.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #158
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
glad the travel advisory worked out for you, my friend, it's quite a scene across North Dakota and eastern Montana. when i went through there in 2011 on my way down from the YT, i had my wife do an internet search of some towns in eastern North Dakota along hwy 2, a road i'd been on many times. she found a room and paid for it, but when i got there at 10pm in a driving rain with 50mph winds, the motel had given the room to someone else. i stood my ground, and the motel rousted some guy out of a room, cleaned it, and moved me in. $80 for a room that was worth $18 anywhere else, a booming free market economy at work.
Yup. Heed the words of the wise or suffer the consequences.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #159
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Yup. Heed the words of the wise or suffer the consequences.

David
jack took advantage of some route advice, although in my experience, few do.

i've never understood that phenomenon.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #160
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Early Sunday morning and I had a big day planned, a twist of fate later, I found myself fueling the bike across the street from a Starbuckistanian consulate, a supposed refuge of the intellectual and literati in the vast wasteland…or more simply, dweeb heaven, where varying shades of brown holy water are served. Well, ain’t that freakin’ Grande, and I was sucked in by the million Tesla pull of visionary cult marketing, I needed caffeine kinda bad, and if it meant elbowing some long skirted, quilt vested, granny glass wearing, Tractor Supply booted, braided hair hippy lady out of the way to get to the order counter, here’s notice folks, I was the man to do it.

I rolled in and parked in front, right where it said something about “FIRE”, but it was upside down from where I was standing, and I was near positive that this space was normally reserved for those rondel badged bikes, so hey buddy, tough luck, drink your coffee, quit that disapproving stare or I’ll do something really scary.

Helmet off, gloves off, and I thought about taking the key, naw, if any of these folks were going to steal the bike, heck, they’d want to read a pdf of the owner’s manual on their Iphone first, by that time I’d be back. I walked to the door behind a young gal who looked pretty spectacular from that viewpoint in her not-for-Sunday-church attire, and she looked over her shoulder as she opened the door, “After you”. I must have looked like her feeble grandpappy’s grandpappy. Great smile, a natural beauty, except for dyed raven hair, and two dozen piercings on her face and ears, man, it looked like shrapnel, but her choice, too bad none the less.

Only one person at the counter, two in line, both reading paperbacks, and when it was their turn, both had to think about it way too long. I was thinking too… about setting those books on fire to speed things up a little, but changed my mind, man, I hate seeing grown people cry, especially early in the morning. Besides, I was in foreign territory, might be laws and such. My turn, and I was looking up at that confusing order board, have no freakin’ idea what all that stuff is about, so I said “I want a big cup of coffee, black, quadruple caffeine, and if it doesn’t float a damn bowling ball, I won’t like it”. My coffee girl looked puzzled for a minute, like she was translating the lingo into official Starbuckistanian coffee speak, then said “I think we can do that”, and she did. I got a great big cup of coal black caffeine, I’d be wired all day, grinding my teeth, xray vision, super powers deployed, good, I was ready to ride, Starbuckistan in my mirrors.

(to be continued…)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #161
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

I was riding from the Winchester area today on the rat bike, the cool, fast dream bike, it’s got almost everything a man could ask for… and the exhaust smells like bacon. I was in my HIVIZ, the moto equivalent of the fat guy in the Tommy Bahama tropical print shirt, works on West Virginia drivers pretty well, no good on colorblind deer, I had the speed hole whistles for them. I had been up to the MichauxStateForest on Friday on a scouting trip, and now I was heading home to eastern Virginia via a big detour through West Virginia on a quickly stitched together network of roads, both paved and gravel. Face it, if things were any better, I’d be drinkin’ Martinis out of the CamelBak.

I didn’t have the proper paper maps for the serious effort it would take to get all the way south on gravel, so I guessed a little here and there, put it in MapSource, then downloaded the thing, figuring I might get lost a few times, waypoints in the wrong places, or on the fly changes southbound. The SPOT was on, blinking away, it’s not very safe to solo these routes without it.

The route took me on a quick run down to StephensCity, east on 277, then southeast on DoubleChurch, yup, I rode past those churches, then west on Canterburg, and the first of a long day on the gravel. Many of the roads have been here for centuries, crisscrossing the valleys and creek bottoms, these signs found everywhere.

Once again, there are big differences in how these roads are maintained, you never know what you’ll find, even if there are a number of homes present.

Northwest on SalemChurch where I crossed I81, south on 11, then northwest on Vaucluse, back on gravel. There is a rail grade ahead and these cause all kinds of problems for the guys moving mobile homes, or other long trailers. Get stuck at your own peril, that train is coming at you going 70MPH.

The crossing gate usually means someone has been killed at the crossing, otherwise no automated signal.

South on Hites, then west on Clark, rolling country with crops, pasture, and orchards. Southwest on Buffalo Marsh, there are many roads around the area which incorporate buffalo in the name, and I always wonder how far back the roads were named. Buffalo were encountered by English settlers as early as 1612 at the headwaters of the Potomac.

Paved, but interesting, the roads are asphalt or macadam, sometimes a combination of both.

The old milk house straddled Buffalo Marsh Run, but no longer evidence of flowing water down this small valley, and that would have created some hardship back when this stone building was erected.

Northwest on Capon Springs and Minebank to Middle, then southwest across the bridge at Cedar Creek. The creek cuts through a rock walled chute above the bridge, and must be a sight when the water is running high and fast.

Below the bridge, the creek spreads out, back to normal.

Gap to Coal Mine running north, then a turn northwest on Moores Ford when I ran up on another of those signs, oh brother, this time it ain’t no joke.

Some few miles farther down the road, I found out that Moores Ford didn’t mean Mr. Moores pickup truck, it was the other usage of that word, now smack dab in my way.

I didn’t have a vanity plate that read “DMBASS”, man, I had to get a good look at this one, either part of the adventure, or the inglorious end. There were blinking red lights flashing in my brain, fire alarm bells, digital warnings on a continuous loop, the works. The song of the road was playing on the far side gravel landing, lightning strike guitar riffs, thundering drumbeats in a triphammer groove, and I was trying my best to tune in the psychic vibes, summon the magic, tame the Dragon.

(to be continued…)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #162
JaxObsessed

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #163
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:

i'll have to get a Michaux map from you sometime.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #164
JaxObsessed

Quote:
i'll have to get a Michaux map from you sometime.
Ask/receive.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...t/D_000828.pdf

Now... about that decision you were making?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #165
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Ask/receive.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...t/D_000828.pdf

Now... about that decision you were making?
thanks.

as for the decision, that's coming up. dicey deal, my friend, damn dicey.