Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Well, here she is - total hooligan bike, black everything, professionally painted and powder coated, 6500 miles on her.

First farkles will be HIDs and Euro OEM LED turn signals. I'm getting kind of nervous reading about all these tranny horror stories on these bikes. I might go back to the dealer and get that extended warranty after all.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Thers a lot of K1200R/S 05-06 with no issues at all, but ther are those who have had to replace gearbox. The 07 and 08 are suposed to have goten rid of all those isuess.
But if it would be me, i would have goten the extended warrenty.

Hers the best K12/1300 forum
http://www.bmwk1200s.com/forum/index.php
Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 603
Wow. Nice looking machine!!!

I have always thought that they look great when they are painted like yours has been. There's a guy that has one on Craigslist down there in the Phoenix area with about 100k miles on it. Looks like its not on there anymore, but it's a testament to the bikes longevity.

I'm sure you're going to enjoy it, especially coming off of a GS! I'm jealous! I'm going to go look at one today.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, I know that 100k mile K12R. It belonged to Tylor, GM of Victory BMW in Chandler. He was trying to sell it forever. AFAIK, he never had any mechanical issues with that bike and rode the piss out of it, as evidenced by its mileage.

I went back and got the extended warranty today. $1300 for two years, unlimited miles, full drivetrain, electronics, the whole schmeer. Not cheap, but now I will not ever worry and that's worth the $$. I see myself keeping this bike for two years and then going with a water-cooled GS, just don't want the first year of a new design. In the meantime, I will not be saving any miles for the next owner of my k-bike.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Yes, I know that 100k mile K12R. It belonged to Tylor, GM of Victory BMW in Chandler. He was trying to sell it forever. AFAIK, he never had any mechanical issues with that bike and rode the piss out of it, as evidenced by its mileage.

I went back and got the extended warranty today. $1300 for two years, unlimited miles, full drivetrain, electronics, the whole schmeer. Not cheap, but now I will not ever worry and that's worth the $$. I see myself keeping this bike for two years and then going with a water-cooled GS, just don't want the first year of a new design. In the meantime, I will not be saving any miles for the next owner of my k-bike.

Rick,

A bunch of my old friends have migrated to the Phoenix area, one after the other. I get down there to visit about 3 times a year. I would happily discuss the purchase of that machine with you when you're ready. I love those in all black like yours.

I am down there quite a bit and would be quite happy to do a fly and ride on one of my favorite bikes! Keep me in mind when you're ready. I'm always in the market, I have motorcycle A.D.D. I am constantly buying and selling...

Congrats again on one hell of a bike!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
bluzharp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:

I went back and got the extended warranty today. $1300 for two years, unlimited miles, full drivetrain, electronics, the whole schmeer. Not cheap, but now I will not ever worry and that's worth the $$.
I have owned my '06 since new and now have 37K on it. I bought the 7 year warranty. The 2 expensive and potentially problematic things on the bike are not covered by the contract. Clutch at around $1400 for parts and shocks at $4000 (ESA). The item worth the warranty is the ABS unit, although reported issues have been relatively few.

My clutch was replaced under factory warranty at 11000 miles and a dragging front caliper and a heated grip are the only other warranty repairs. I have an Akrapovic full titanium Evo exhaust and Power Commander 3 with a custom tune. Other than BMW themselves, I have loved this bike. It's an awesome machine.
bluzharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #22
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer

My fuel economy SUCKS. WTF? How many miles should I be getting on a tank? I'm 240 lbs. in full gear, no luggage and ride it like I stole it every chance I get, have a Booster Plug, Leo Vince SBK can and removed the load actuator. Is 150 miles per tank good?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #23
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,407
Quote:
My fuel economy SUCKS. WTF? How many miles should I be getting on a tank? I'm 240 lbs. in full gear, no luggage and ride it like I stole it every chance I get, have a Booster Plug, Leo Vince SBK can and removed the load actuator. Is 150 miles per tank good?
I average in the low to mid 30's. I have a Remus can. I disconnected the actuator and wired the linkage to lock it up. I'm about 190 lbs in full gear. I tend to ride at about 80+ mph and use the throttle aggressively. I have a vague memory of a 200 mile tank of fuel once when I missed an exit and didn't know when I was going to see the next gas station.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
Rick Lee
Beastly Adventurer

I'm at 130 miles and tank is pretty low now. Light isn't on yet, but will be very shortly. I have a 200-250 miles ride coming up in an hour. If this sucky mileage continues, I'm gonna have to consider enlisting a pro to take a look at the fueling/mapping.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
bluzharp
Adventurer

Quote:
I'm at 130 miles and tank is pretty low now. Light isn't on yet, but will be very shortly. I have a 200-250 miles ride coming up in an hour. If this sucky mileage continues, I'm gonna have to consider enlisting a pro to take a look at the fueling/mapping.
Yep, that's about right. It's a 5 gallon tank and you might get 32-34 mpg. That's 170 miles, max, per tank. My light comes on around 130 miles. If it's any consolation, I can get 37-38 mpg on the open road if it's not windy and I'm going steady at about 75. (PC3 with custom map) I have the on-board computer and have found the "range" calculation to be pretty close. My riding around town/commuting mileage didn't change much after the dyno mapping session. Those 163 (181 on mine) horses are thirsty. I have never had a bike that I could go 200 miles on a tank of gas.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #26
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,784
Having had an 05 k1200s your mileage depends on how much right wrist is involved. Had the low fuel light come on at 80 miles once, but it was at the track. I also got 200 miles once out of a tank when I discovered cords showing on my rear tire that far away.

Speaking of which, if you ride it like you stole it you'll be lucky to get 4k out of the rear tire, and you don't want a hard tire back there.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #27
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
Those 163 (181 on mine) horses are thirsty. I have never had a bike that I could go 200 miles on a tank of gas.
163 hp at the brochure or maybe the crank. Check out this link, factory pro true hp. I broke mine in on a Factory Pro dyno. It had 139 hp at the rear wheel after 75 miles.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #28
bluzharp
Adventurer

Yep, 163 brochure (crank) hp. After tuning on the Dynojet, it said 164 rwhp. The operator added 10% to come up with estimated crank hp. I understand there are controversies over these results, but those are the only numbers I have to go by.

bluzharp screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 07:57 AM
Old 08-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #29
bluzharp
Adventurer

So, according to the chart you linked (good info, thanks) a mapped, K1200R with a slipon and the other air filter cut in, gave up 153 rwhp on the calibrated dyno. I guess my results are right in the (inflated dynojet) ball park. Akrapovich Evo full system, 2 stock air filters, mapped PC3.

Regardless of splitting hairs, the K12R is a pretty strong beast of a machine and it is a blast to ride. Even after 37K miles, I still love twisting the grip on it!

EDIT: Oh, I'm full of shit. I just found my dyno sheet and it was 157 rwhp, not 164. Anyways, plenty of guts for a bike.

bluzharp screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 09:22 AM Reason: corrected bad info
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #30
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
One measurement is done at static rpm position across the operating range and the other is done in a single acceleration run. They're going to yield different numbers.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote