Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #1
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
2014 Memorial Weekend - Yet Another NorCal Tour

Day 1

I know, I know...it's WAY late. With sweet Adelyn on her way to making her presence in the world, I've not had a lot of extra free time. I figure it's been entirely too long since we took the trip, so I should go ahead & start the ride report. So rewind a bit, back to Friday, May 23rd 2014. It's been a while, but from what I remember, it was a decent morning. I had asked off from work for 4 days (only one of which was PTO...I'm getting good about maximizing my PTO during holiday weekends). After my two trips last summer (The Road to Rally in the Gorge 2013 & the 2013 Northern California Tour) I was hooked. I knew with a daughter on the way, my riding time would be challenged, so this summer my goal was to try & get some of it out of my system before I was graced with the greatest thing in my life. I would take two trips to NorCal on the bike that I had intended to take on both trips last year.

Spincycle (a buddy of mine on another, more local forum) & I had been loosely planning this trip for quite some time & for a while, I thought I might be making the trip by myself, not knowing if he'd get any time off for the holiday of his fallen brethren. Turns out, he (and his company) came through for me...able to take one of the last trips with me before I become a father. He wouldn't be able to ride down there with me because he had to work on Friday, but I'd head down that morning & meet up with him later in the evening.

After 2 days of prepping the bike & packing her up, Trinity & I were ready for departure. Don't laugh. I know, it looks like a lot, but I don't have appropriately sized camping gear for moto-camping, so I use what I have. Thus, it looks like I've brought everything including the kitchen sink. Trust me, the kitchen sink isn't in there...I had to leave it for the barefoot, pregnant wife.

I've decided to take the reverse route that RickRick (another buddy of mine on that other, more local forum) & I took to get home from September's trip, so I head down I-5 to Grants Pants where I'll pick up US 199 & head for Cave Junction. Surprisingly, I was able to find the turn off for Waldo Road (the name given to Greyback Road/NF-48 on the US 199 end). This is it. This is where the trip REALLY begins. We're about to hit the twisties that I was so miserable on just 8 months ago. As I make my way up Greyback Road, I can't believe what a difference a warm, dry day makes. This road is so much fun. I think it may be my gateway to NorCal until the end of time. Not only are the twisties more fun than previously thought, but the views are as well.

Finally, after a few minutes of riding, I see what I've been waiting to see, even though I didn't know it was there. We've made it. Trinity & I have made it to Northern California. Our trip was starting to come together.

Continuing up the road, I decide it's time for a water break. We stop at one of the plentiful pull outs to rest & get some refreshments.

After a few minutes, I decide to continue on. If you've never been on Greyback Road, it's a treat. It's a great way to get into the NorCal area. At this point, I'm conflicted. I don't want this road to end, but at the same time, I need to make it to camp in time to go meet up with Spincycle. Finally, after quite some time, I pull into Happy Camp, CA. I've made it. I'm starting to recognize landmarks & it's starting to feel a bit like home away from home.

To continue my trek, I ride down CA 96 for about 40 miles to turn off at Somes Bar, heading down Salmon River Road. This road is pretty much a glorified goat trail. Finally when it opens up at Forks of Salmon, CA you think it's over, but it's just begun. Just past Forks of Salmon you turn toward Cecilville & Callahan. Further down the road, the pavement is crumbling down the canyon into the river below & you're wondering if you've made the right decision. It can be worrisome, but the views are worth it. Just take it easy. There won't be many folks coming around to help you should you misstep & find yourself in the Salmon River. Further down the road, as you get closer to Cecilville, I come across a familiar sight. You see...last September Rick & I spotted an abandoned minivan at the entrance to a gravel road offshoot from the paved road. It left many questions in our minds. The most intriguing to me was, "how long had it been there?" While not answered in any specific way, I had suddenly determined that it was longer than any other vehicle abandonment that I've ever experienced before. For this van, once red with broken out windows, had been burned out since the last time we were through, but it was still there.

Days later after I had returned home, I spoke with a friend of mine now living in NorCal & she confirmed that it was the entrance to a commune known in the area. Good enough for me, I'll keep moving on. Further down the road, it opens up out of the goat trail to some of the most beautiful pavement I've ever seen. Needing a rest before hitting these twisties with authority, we decide to take a break for water.

Eventually, Cecilville-Callahan Road ends up intersecting with CA 3, so I take a right, heading south toward Coffee Creek. As I near the summit to Scott Mountain, I see a sign I've been looking for. You see...having taken Grace down there last Fall, I've been wanting to get at least one picture of my main squeeze in an area sharing her name. Thus, I present to you...Trinity in her happy place.

Now fast forward a half hour or so. Trinity is low on fuel, I'm starting to stress about being able to make it anywhere. On CA 3, I pass Coffee Creek (my destination for the night) hoping there will be fuel in Trinity Center. After a failed stop at the KOA for fuel, I finally find fuel in Trinity Center proper. With a full tank of fuel, we head back toward the campground. Trinity & I have made it to Coffee Creek (No, Coffee Creek Willy is nowhere in sight) and we set up camp. Once the tent is pitched, we head back toward Yreka to pickup Spincycle. He's come down I-5 & it's looking like timing might be pretty damned good. Turns out, I hardly have time to head into Wally World for some beef jerky before he calls. He's in town. I go to meet him, we fuel up, get some dinner at the local Round Table Pizza & head back toward Coffee Creek. Most of this stretch is in the dark of night, but even over Scott Mountain, we make it safely. I hold a flashlight while he pitches his tent & we sit down at the table for my favorite part of my nights while moto-camping. Pulling the map out with a sixer of the local beer & a flashlight.

The day is finally done & we're planning tomorrow. This is going to be a great trip. I just know it.

Today's Route:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4843868

Next: Let's Follow the GPS or I Don't Want to be Stuck in the Middle of Nowhere, Out of Fuel & Eaten by Bears.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Day 2

My apologies. It appears that I didn't take many pictures today. This will mostly be a wall-o-text. Make a sammich & I'll be here waiting to tell the tale of unknown roads & longer than expect rides. Ready? OK, let's continue.

Another day, another dollar, another 500-ish mile day. Only this time I had someone else with me that wasn't nearly as enthusiastic about that many miles. The only thing is, we were riding to the road HE wanted to ride on. It's cool though. To be fair, I knew it would be a long day, but I didn't in my wildest dreams think it would be THAT long. It all started when I dragged my ass out of my tent pretty late. It's been a while, so I don't remember exactly when, but it was probably around 0900. Then it took me a while to get ready because I was moving a bit slowly. Remember that sixer of local beer? Yeah, well, we shared that & I had another double deuce on top of that. Yeah, I like the beer in the evenings after a long ride. Ask anyone that's ridden much with me & they'll tell you the same. Anyway, as I said, I was moving pretty slowly. In addition to that, Spincycle was having some difficulties hooking his ScalaRider G9 up to his phone so I pulled up the manual (it's on my phone just in case) and we get it all figured out. I think we finally left camp around 1000 or 1100. Regardless, it was later than we probably should have left knowing that it would be a long day. Last night, Spincycle & I talked about the fact that we only had 2 days to ride in the area & we both tossed out 2 roads that we HAD to ride while we were there. If we didn't get to ride anything else, these two would be hit at all costs. He wanted to ride CA 1 out to the Pacific Ocean. As I said before, I knew by looking at the map that it'd be a long ride, but I misjudged just how long by a teensy, tiny bit. More on that later.

We started out the day headed down CA 3 toward Weaverville where we'd fuel up the bikes & ourselves. Much to Spincycle's chagrin, we ate breakfast burritos at the Redwood Gas station in Weaverville. Of course, this took some time...adding to the long day ahead. After breakfast, we continue down CA 3 toward CA 36. For what it's worth, CA 36 was my at-all-costs road, so that kind of worked out. Today we'd get to ride the western half. This would kill 1 and a half birds with one stone. I've already prepped Spincycle on the 3 sections of CA36 & fortunately today, we're doing half of The Switchbacks & all of The Speedway. Speaking of which, we stopped near the beginning of The Speedway to catch this shot.

After taking a bit of a breather & drinking some water, we continued on. Not long after we took that shot, we had a fellow rider come up behind us & join us the rest of the way to Fortuna. He was fun to ride with & I was hoping he'd follow us further so we could stop, say "hi" & invite him to join us longer. Alas, when we got to US 101, he turned north while we turned south. Now comes what I felt like was the worst part of the day & what set the tone for much of the weekend. From Fortuna to Legget (where it intersects with CA 1), US 101 is all freeway. It's like riding down I-5 with a bit more scenery. Now, I've enjoyed back to back 500-ish mile days on the Daytona before (surprisingly enough), but when you toss some freeway in there, it becomes quite a bit grueling. Fortunately, after about an hour, we pull off at Legget & take another break. It's at this point that we realize that it's already 1600 & we're really starting to push our luck for getting back at a decent time. We had just reached our destination, but not the end of it. The end is about 30 minutes further away. After a quick stop, we decide that we're already here. It'd be dumb to miss this opportunity to ride Spincycle's at-all-cost-road. We continue on. I really think he was glad we did. We had very little traffic to speak of. I remember passing a few cars, but not nearly as many as Rick & I had last September. This time there was no construction, so traffic was at least sparse. About 30 minutes later, the road opens up to the ocean & we pull over for some pics.

Ok, now it's 1700 & we've got that entire ride (6 hours so far) to get back to camp. Time to high tail it out of there. We ride back up CA 1 & stop in Garberville for fuel. While taking a break after fueling up, we start looking for the quickest route back. I check my phone & Google Maps says we should go the way we came. Spincycle checks his trusty Garmin & it says to take Alderpoint Road. It cuts at an angle & ends up dumping out on CA 36 only about 25 miles from CA 3. It's not a road that I know, but it looks twisty as hell. Alrighty, let's do this! NOW it's an adventure. I'll try & cut this as short as I can & try not to piss off my riding buddy much. You see, Alderpoint Road was not a great road surface. It was quite bumpy & there were short gravel sections in plenty of places. It was pretty damned remote, there was no fuel, not many towns & the civilization we encountered...he questioned as being civilized at all. I'm no stranger to these types of roads on long trips, so I think I may have been better prepared to handle it. Besides, there was NO freeway. The only thing is, we were clearly running out of daylight. Neither of us could debate that. For me though, I was on an adventure & these things are what great stories are made of. Spincycle on the other hand (sorry buddy, I owe you a few beers for this one, I know), Spincycle was worried about running out of fuel & either living Deliverance in real life or getting eaten by a bear. Turns out, both may have been more likely than I thought at the time.

What I HAVEN'T told you about Alderpoint Road is that it afforded us the BEST views of the entire trip. Rolling, green hills as far as the eye could see. I was in awe at every crest we topped. This road really is beautiful & I hope to ride it again when we're not searching for that last bit of precious daylight (especially now that I know we can easily make it on fuel). It was a sight to behold, that's for sure. Anyway, I promised to keep it short, so I will. That bear Spincycle was worried about? Yeah, we saw it. It ran across the road in front of us somewhere around dusk. Fortunately for us, we had plenty of fuel & we continued on. Right around the same time (possibly a bit before) the pavement was renewed, freshly paved. If I remember correctly, we were connected via our G9s & we both may have cheered in our helmets a bit. Still taking it easy (as it was dusk) we really started to enjoy the curves in the road a bit more.

Finally we get dumped out onto CA 36 at Van Duzen Road. Taking a right, we head back toward camp. The ride back was quite a bit different than the ride out there. This time it was quickly getting darker & we're starting to see more deer. In the end, we're traveling the really twisty part of CA 3 between CA 36 & Weaverville in the pitch black darkness of night. Knowing that there's no point in racing back, we back off quite a bit & tip toe back to civilization. At around 2200 we roll into Weaverville & fortunately, the Redwood Fuel Station is still open.

We grab some snacks for dinner, some beer, take a bit of a break & start back toward camp around 2230. Only about 30 minutes of CA 3 remains, but it's the most deer littered part of CA 3. More backing off & taking it easy. Good thing too. Not only do we have to dodge half a dead deer (obviously mutilated by a fairly large vehicle), but just a few miles from camp we encounter a young deer in the middle of the road. Slowing up, we both expect it to dart across the road in front of us. To our surprise, it didn't...until Spincycle was about 5 feet from it. At this point, I really expected the thing to head off the road away from us. But if there's one thing I've learned about deer, it's that they're unpredictable. Yep, that damned thing went the other direction, right in front of Spincycle. Fortunately, everyone made it out of that situation with their hide in tact, but it definitely woke us up. At this point, we tip toe even slower & finally make it back to camp...tired, hungry & relieved.

We pull the map out, drink some beer, eat some snacks & start talking about options for tomorrow. It's been a bit of a stress filled day, but we made it in one piece & we've got a great story to tell.

Next: Let's enjoy a short day, meet up with some friends that are also visiting the area & take a tip from a local, also a friend of ours. Why do I always listen to locals?

Today's Route:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4843904
Old 07-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Day 3

Here we are folks. We're on the tail end of the trip. Today we're gonna keep it short because the 500-ish mile days were starting to wear on some of the crew.

Today, I actually got up at a fairly decent hour (hooray for me!!). It had to be an act of congress, because once again, I was hungover. What else is new? I think I rolled out of the tent at around 0800. We kind of took our time getting ready to go because the night before, we had decided to keep it fairly short today. After I had gotten up, showered & geared up and while I waited for Spincycle I decided to head back behind our camp to see what the water was that we kept hearing all day & night. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, just hadn't see it yet. Here's the crazy part, this was the same exact camping spot RickRick & I had on the last night of our trip when we were down here last September. I just hadn't ventured out much from it at all. It wasn't far, probably about 10 yards, but the trees opened up to this.

Turns out, that's the...wait for it...drum roll please...Coffee Creek. Who'da thunk it? Ok, back to the story. Spincycle also made it clear that he was done eating gas station food & we'd have to find somewhere that served real breakfast this morning. No problem, I figured. We've got a short day. We've got plenty of time to sit & eat breakfast. After we got all gear up, we ride into Weaverville to get food & fuel up the bikes. Today, we'd be doing the other half of CA 36.

As we roll into Weaverville, we're trying to find somewhere to eat, realizing that it's Sunday of a holiday weekend. Tons of places are closed. Finally we come across the Mamma Llama. Looks kind of like an old saloon from the outside & they have coffee & breakfast, so we stop in. I order the Spicy Egg Mountain, because anyone that knows me knows that I'm a sucker for spicy food. I don't know what to expect, but it sounds spicy. I don't remember what Spincycle ordered, I only remember his displeasure with CA sales tax. As we're waiting for our food, I'm looking around. This place has a lot of merchandise for sale as well & a metal lunch box catches my eye.

I'm a Walking Dead fan, so I just HAD to take a picture. I wish I had use for a lunch box & the room in my luggage to get it back home. After a few more minutes waiting, We're served our breakfast. I don't think the Spicy Egg Mountain was what I was expecting, but damn it was good.

After breakfast, we head down CA 3 to catch CA 36 & head east. Today we'll ride most of The Switchbacks & all of The Rollercoaster. Of course I'm looking forward to it, CA 36 is my at-all-costs road. Besides, this will be Trinity's first chance to get her picture next to "the sign."

Now...one thing I haven't mentioned is that I left Eugene trying to calculate just how many miles I had left on my front tire. I SWORE it was easily 2,000 miles left. I was pretty much plagued with it all weekend, feeling like it wasn't as good as it could've been had I just replaced it. Oh well...it's a holiday weekend & there's not much I can do about it, right? Halfway to Red Bluff on CA 36, we stop at the desert oasis of Platina. If you've been on CA 36, you know what I mean. It's a pretty small "town" consisting of a general store, containing a small restaurant with a gas pump or two outside. That's about it, but that's about all you need that far out. Of course, we stop for some refreshments where we meet a few other riders. One of them is from Redding & we get to talking to him. He's got all kinds of stories from riding all kinds of bikes. I knew Spincycle would get along with him, so we all start chit-chatting for who knows how long. Turns out he's a salesman for a Kawasaki dealer in Redding & he's offered his garage, pit stands & tools to help me change my front tire if I wanted to take it to a Cycle Gear (apparently open on Sunday of a holiday weekend). I politely declined, but made a mental note that motorcyclists are mostly ready to help one another in a time of need. After we all wrap up the conversation & start mounting our steeds, we head on down the road. The Rollercoaster was everything I remembered. Man, that section is so much fun if you're smart about it. There's more than one crest that allows you to loft your front wheel (and sometimes the back one too!) off the ground. Finally, after about half an hour to 45 minutes, we arrive on the Red Bluff side of CA 36 where "the sign" is located. Trinity hasn't gotten her picture next to the sign yet, so I'm pretty excited to get here. Spincycle, on the other hand, wasn't at all excited for the weather. It was nearing 100 & it wasn't exactly pleasant if you weren't in the shade. Fortunately, he was gracious enough to let me stop & get my pictures. He, on the other hand, decided to wait for me in the shade. Of course, I made sure to get him in the frame so there was proof he was there. :lol:

At this point, we head up to Anderson for some food & air conditioning. While we're there, we call up our friend Dena to try & meet up with her. She's down from Springfield for the weekend to get away from work & she's hanging out with our other friend Frank (a local of Anderson). Turns out they're all just two blocks away at a motel, so we decide to head over & hang with them (in their air conditioning) for a while. While we're in the A/C, we're dicussing our route back to camp with Frank. Being the local that he is, he warns us that on a holiday weekend, CA 299 will be packed with traffic & offers up another route. After discussing the route in detail so we're sure we know where we're going, we start gearing up & getting ready to go.

Back on the road, we head up CA 299 for a few minutes until we see the turn off for French Gulch. I had seen the name on CA 3 near camp & Frank had assured us that the road the French Gulch was on would take us all the way to CA 3 & dump us out near camp. He even assured us that it was paved (at least to the top...that's as far as he had been). From what I remember, The sign on CA 3 says French Gulch is only 40 miles away. Not bad. It'll be faster than going CA 299 & then up CA 3 & we're told of magnificent views. I figure, what the hell? It's an adventure anyway. Let's go somewhere we hadn't planned on! Onward...to Trinity Mountain Road!

As we're headed up Trinity Mountain Road, it's starting to look like a goat trail. I'm no stranger to them. Looks like every long trip has to have one, so we continue on. As we near the top, Spincycle is starting to get worried that we're not on the right road, so as we come across some folks camping, we stop to make sure we're headed in the right direction. A few minutes roll by & finally he gets back on his bike & continues on. I get on the intercom & ask him what was said. Apparently, the dude said that we are on the right road, but there's gravel ahead a few miles. "Not to worry," the camper says. "It's only a couple miles & we did it in a Honda Civic earlier. Surely the bikes can make it through." Spincycle asks the guy, "How much gravel? Two or ten miles?" "Oh, a couple." Onward, it's an adventure after all! Before too long, the potholes are turning into bomb craters. The bomb craters turn into large pieces of pavement in the middle of a gravel road. After a bit longer, those large pieces of pavement make way to large rocks in our way. Before too much longer, everything is evening out into a proper gravel road. Ok...we can handle this. The worst is behind us, and besides...it's only a couple miles. About 10 miles later, a deer barely clears the front of Spincycle's bike by about 4 feet. I almost shit myself. Should something happen, we're a long way from anywhere. Fortunately nothing did & we continue on...commenting on the dude's lack of estimation ability or his lack of math skills. In the end, we did about 25 miles of gravel on two bikes that weren't meant to leave the tarmac. One of which was really built for the track. Finally we see pavement & decide to take a bit of a break. Here, we get some pictures of the aftermath. Yeah, I was following in case you didn't get that part.

I've always enjoyed challenges like this, because it seems like I'm always rewarded for my tenacity on the other side. Well, on the other side of that 25 miles of pretty poor road conditions, we were rewarded with absolutely BEAUTIFUL pavement. After a fairly spirited ride over the last 11 miles & a fuel/beer stop in Trinity Center, we stop at Trailhead Pizza for some dinner. Trailhead Pizza is another oasis in the wilderness with great pizza, awesome beer & even better service. Best part is...it's within crawling distance of our camp. You might have to crawl across a highway, but the goal is not to get too sloshed to ride your bike across to get back to camp. Back at camp, I finally get a shot of it...and Spincycle holding up our prize.

Same deal as nights past. We're pulling the map out, discussing tomorrow, and drinking some beer. Only this time we're back early enough to watch the Sun set & get some great artsy fartsy photos for this fancy ride report. THIS is what moto-camping is all about.

For whatever reason, I've had more beer than most nights & I stumble away toward my tent, wondering what tomorrow has in store.

Next: Parting is such sweet sorrow...ok...not all the time.

Today's Route:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4843944
Old 07-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
wiley.coyote OP
Adventurer

Day 4

Here we are folks...the final day. As such, I'm afraid I don't have very many pictures to show or very much story to tell. You see...the freeway that we did on Day 2 had kinda done me in. I was starting to feel it. On top of that, I was nursing a GNARLY hangover. So today I was really just concentrating on getting home.

To start Day 4, we'll have to back up to the end of Day 3. When Spincycle & I looked over the map with some beer after our trip over Trinity Mountain Road, he was pretty adamant on heading back via I-5. I reckon I ran him a little ragged on Day 2 & he was starting to feel it. He wanted nothing more than to get home the quickest way possible. I, on the other hand, had had enough freeway for one weekend & I wanted to take the twistiest route back...no matter how long it took. Something like the same route I took to get there would be perfect. That night, we discussed the possibility of riding back separate. It'd be fine. I mean, we rode down separate, there was really no need to ride back together. Now...with that out of the way, let's begin Day 4.

It all started when Spincycle tried for who knows how long to wake me up. Finally I hear him calling to me, telling me to wake up, that it was time to pack up camp & head out. I finally wake up enough to see that it's light out. Not believing it, I check why phone to see what time it is. Holy shit! It's 0600! No way am I gonna get up this early feeling this badly. He prods more, so I finally open up my tent & notice that there's no tent in front of mine anymore. I'm a bit confused, so I crawl out of my tent & notice that not only is his tent packed, but his entire bike is packed, he's already in his leathers & he's ready to go. Holy hell. You can take the boy out of the Army, but you can't take the Army out of the boy. At this point, it's no secret that I'm not feeling well & may need a little more recovery time. In fact, I even told him that there's no way I should even be operating a motorcycle in my condition. He assures me that we don't have to ride back together & reiterates that he's headed up the freeway anyway. I take the opportunity to get out of riding the freeway & tell him that I'm going to head back to bed for a while longer & head up the way I came down. We say our goodbyes & he rides off. I climb back in my tent & get some much needed rest.

About 3 hours later, around 0900, I wake up again & while feeling better, I'm not 100%. "Too bad, man...you gotta leave soon because you have a long day ahead of you," I say to myself. Slowly, I drag my ass out of the tent & begin packing up & breaking camp. Roughly an hour later, Trinity's packed up & we're ready to go. Thanks to the extra moving around, I'm starting to feel much better. Good thing too...I've got some goat trails hugging canyon walls to ride today. I need to at least bring my A- or B+ game. Here we are, all loaded up & ready to go...finally.

The ride over Callahan-Cecilville Road & Salmon River Road was fairly uneventful beyond just wishing that I hadn't drank so much last night. Here at the end of the Salmon River Road goat trail, I stop for my first break in a shady area.

While I'm stopped, a bicyclist that I passed stopped to visit with me. I'm pretty sure his name was Brian & he lived in a trailer behind some store in Somes Bar. He had no shirt, a backpack with a machete sticking out & a small radio playing outloud. Nice guy, we must've chatted for about 15 minutes. It was kind of a weird situation, but I've come to expect nothing less of that area.

Soon after Brian continues on, I head up to Happy Camp where I stop at Parry's Market for some refreshments & some Excedrin Migraine. I figure with some headache medicine, something to eat & something to drink I should start feeling better. After about a 30 minute stop, I head on. Almost immediately I feel better & I'm glad I stopped. From there, I head back over Grayback Road, US 199 & I-5 north to Canyonville where I stop for fuel at the Seven Feathers gas station. While there, I decide to take an extended break & check my phone. I've had it in airplane mode (plus bluetooth for the tunes) to conserve battery so I had no idea if anyone has been trying to get in touch with me. Fortunately for me, they had. Spincycle had called to warn me about some construction on I-5 (that I had gone through on the way down of course) that had traffic backed up quite a ways. In fact, our friend Dena & her daughter Carollynn had gotten stuck in it as well & she said she watched a dude get out of his car, trade driving duties with his wife & he started running. Yeah, like Forrest Gump. It was 4 miles & 33 minutes later before they caught up with him again. Here's the proof.

In Carollynn's words: "Okay so the whole story. We were stuck on I5 in stop and go traffic. We see this guy's and presumably his wife pulled over and looks like they are just gonna go hike or something. We keep going and a few mins later we see the guy running down I5. So we assume oh cool he's going to run until his wife catches up. About 4 miles and 33 mins later we catch up with the guy still running down I5. Pretty cool way to beat the traffic jam I guess."

Fortunately I had already planned on getting off of I-5 at my earliest chance. Exiting in Sutherlin at OR 138, I head toward Elkton, make a right on OR 38 & head toward Curtain. When I reach Territorial Highway, I take another break. While I'm there, I'm starting to regret this decision as car after car passes by me heading in the same direction. Dammit, I'm gonna have a lot of cars to pass & now is when I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel & wanting to be home. Oh well, onward!

The rest of the trip home was spent trying to pass an incredibly long line of cars, but I finally did...right before I hit Eugene. I suppose it's fine, I'm almost home. The last few minutes of the trip were uneventful. Finally, after 1,650 miles (by Trinity's clock) & 4 days, I was home.

It was definitely a different experience doing a long trip on the Daytona, but not one that I'd want to pass up again in the future. The biggest problem I had was the cheap leathers I was wearing were irritating me in some certain spots. Most notably was the spot behind my knees where the leather bunched up & started causing the skin around those tendons to be pretty angry. Note to self: Get better leathers at some point if I want to keep taking Trinity on trips. Beyond that, she was a dream to ride, even at 412.5 miles per day average. I'm constantly amazed at how comfortable this bike is considering it was really built for a race track.

Oh, and about that front tire? I didn't feel comfortable putting even one more mile on it after I got home. I immediately got it replaced. The timing was pretty much perfect. As for the wear pattern, there was tread in the middle still, but it was bald on both sides. California tends to do that to my tires.

Today's Route:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4843988