User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
monstermetal OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Versys hack

Hello all. I have lurked at everyone's stuff for quite some time and figured I should post a couple pics of my project..

Its a 09 Versys I shot Olive drab and Jay at DMC put a Dual sport hack on... This is my first hack experience and I have less than 1000 miles sporting it around but so far I have been having blast.... The bike was bought as new old stock and is barely past its second oil change.... First new bike I have ever owned and I felt compelled to loose the snot green for something not so flashy... Strange how all the old bikes Ive had I just wanted them to look new and then I finally get a new bike and one of the first things I do is a backyard paint-job over the perfect bodywork

I am going to build a Leading link for it in the near future, bought a radiator guard from a fellow in the UK that's on its way... bark busters, soft bags and a windshild I think are pretty much only other non stock bits at this point... Oh and a 13 T front sprocket that makes the zipping around on twisty bits a kick but sucks for freeway speeds (speedo is now worthless but I would guess I am maybe 65MPH in top gear at about 4000 RPM, If you want to cruse at 75 it wont be much for mileage or sanity)

monstermetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Arkansasrider
LOST

Oddometer: 161
How much! I have a 650 gs and this looks perfect!
Arkansasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
monstermetal OP
n00b

The hack kit is $2500.... There are extras you can buy and bike specific mounts that vary in cost depending on model. Pretty reasonable.... With a brand new bike, new sidecar and pro install I am into the whole rig about $9K
Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,133
Nice Versys dual sport setup!

I think I might want to upgrade the tires to something a little more aggressive, then start tearing up the forest service roads with that thing. Great rig for backcountry camping I'd think.
4XKPN - sold
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Arkansasrider
LOST

Oddometer: 161
Thanks for the info.
Arkansasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
monstermetal OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Nice Versys dual sport setup!

I think I might want to upgrade the tires to something a little more aggressive, then start tearing up the forest service roads with that thing. Great rig for backcountry camping I'd think.
Agreed, I ordered a set of dual sportish skins that should be better.... My plan and preference would have been the Pirelli MT60's but I was told that since they are a good grippy tire I'd nuke them quick with the hack... So instead I bought some cheap Avon DS clones for half the price.... I'll see how they hold up and maybe next time spring for the Pirelli's
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
BuiltnotBought
Perpetual Project

Oddometer: 41
I like it!
Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,313
keep us in action pics featuring that thing-- its soo fine
Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Awesome rig.
I have thought quite a bit about a Versys DS rig.
Yours looks better than I imagined.

BTW if you really have a 13 T front sprocket (stock is 15) you are only going 46 mph @ 4000 RPM.
Stock the Versys goes about 53 @ 4000.

Have you considered Side Effects/Steerite triple tree mods vs the leading links?
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,733
MM, that is a great looking outfit, congrats!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,820
Ya done good pilgrim.

WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
monstermetal OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Awesome rig.
I have thought quite a bit about a Versys DS rig.
Yours looks better than I imagined.

BTW if you really have a 13 T front sprocket (stock is 15) you are only going 46 mph @ 4000 RPM.
Stock the Versys goes about 53 @ 4000.

Have you considered Side Effects/Steerite triple tree mods vs the leading links?
Um.... No? What does the steerite mod entail? The appeal of the LL front end is I can build it.. If I had to shell out two grand I would probably leave the front end alone....

And yes I really have a 13T front sprocket, Are you sure 46 MPH? Indicated is 76 and I am sure 76 is high but I have a hard time accepting the speedo is 30 MPH off ?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
They cut the triple trees and re-configure them to reduce the trail similar to what leading links do and with most of the same benefits.
What I liked about them is they keep the stock appearance of the bike and cost significantly less than links for those without the fab skills to build them.
Leading links are supposed to be better as I believe they take the side-loads better, but on some bikes they look really funky to me and the Steerite mods worked great on my Connie rig.

FWIW I recall it was about $600 to have them done a few years ago, its probably a bit more now.
http://www.sidecars.ca/#!steerite

Yea, I am pretty sure on the speed.
I have a gearing spread sheet I use on all my bikes and its always been really close to what the GPS says.
I threw your 13T in my Versys one and that's what kicked out.
Keep in mind even stock the speedo is off.
I typically run at 5000 RPM which shows 70 on the speedo and 66 on the GPS.
I dont actually like the Versys that much at 4000 RPM, its pretty vibby, but smooths out a lot by 5000.

Are you sure your not thinking 5000 RPM vs 4000, 5000 RPM should net you 58 MPH with the 13T.
Slap a GPS on to know for sure.

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 09:52 AM
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Larry is capable of building most any thing he wants including he could have built the entire sidecar rig. As his shop is just down the road from ours I have seen much of the truely neat stuff he has built. Here is a link to his site http://www.monstermetal.org/ where you can see some of the works of art he has built.
I spoke with Larry about doing the steerite type modifications as he is capable of doing these him self as well as leading links.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermetal View Post
The hack kit is $2500.... There are extras you can buy and bike specific mounts that vary in cost depending on model. Pretty reasonable.... With a brand new bike, new sidecar and pro install I am into the whole rig about $9K
Damn man, how much did you get the bike for by itself? They're almost $7900 (MSRP of course) just for the bike......
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote