User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #31
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Thumb

I wish my R50/2 had that paint job on it. SERIOUSLY, don't paint it and blend in.

Detroit Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #32
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,014
I'm jealous! I'd love to have a T3, and in as nice a shape as that one.

I think the bike looks fine, except for the mufflers, and they're only a slight distraction. Of course, I'd never think of a paint scheme like that, but it appears to be well done, and for some reason I like it. Can't say why...

First thing I'd do is lower bars, then add another front disc.

Where was it for sale? What did you give for it?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #33
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
If you don't want to spend the money for Guzzi mufflers look into Bub's. Join the club like I suggested and run an advert for some good used mufflers.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #34
LonerDave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post

Where was it for sale? What did you give for it?
The bike was on Craigslist here in Milwaukee. At the risk of looking like a fool or a thief, I paid $1,700.
LonerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #35
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
It's what these two ride.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #36
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerDave View Post
The bike was on Craigslist here in Milwaukee. At the risk of looking like a fool or a thief, I paid $1,700.
That's a deal. I would ride it as is since those pipes are so bitchin in a 1950s Sci Fi Ray Gun way.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #37
pigeyes
bilge rat

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
The Guzzi flames aren't bad, just plain. Needs outlining and contrasting shading as the Norton has.
Mate that ain't a flame job, that's a box jellyfish and they can be deadly!
mick
Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #38
Ddouble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Mufflers.

I have run the EMGO Dunstall replicas on a couple of my Tonti Guzzis. They look good and sound really great IMO. They are quite a bit louder than stockers.
Ddouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #39
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,310
So it finally sold. I eyed that several times wishing I had the cash to go get it. I think given the house in the background of the picture, you really had no right to expect anything less. All the same, it doesn't look like it iwll take much to put that right. Wanna trade straight across for a 72 Sportster?
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #40
LonerDave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddouble View Post
I have run the EMGO Dunstall replicas on a couple of my Tonti Guzzis. They look good and sound really great IMO. They are quite a bit louder than stockers.
Thanks. Bought a set of these. At about $50 a pop, worth it to see how it changes the look and sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach View Post
So it finally sold. I eyed that several times wishing I had the cash to go get it. I think given the house in the background of the picture, you really had no right to expect anything less. All the same, it doesn't look like it iwll take much to put that right. Wanna trade straight across for a 72 Sportster?
Yeah, had been on CL for a while. The seller lives down the street from the Caddy house and placed it there for better exposure. Suspect some passers-by just thought it was the latest addition to his outdoor gallery. Here're pix of house. http://blog.markcz.com/cudahy-wisconsin-cadillac-yard/ BTW, the shark is now attached to his garage.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,937
Keep the tank. Enjoy the bike. In three years time there will be a cafe backlash and flames will be big. Blaze the trail.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #42
LonerDave OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Exhaust

The decision about new exhausts kind of made itself for me. The fishtails were rusting through. Bought a set of Dunstall replicas from Emgo ($55 each from JCWhitney).

I like the look and they are a bit quieter than the holey fishtails. Worth the coin, IMHO.

Have spent the past couple weeks sorting various mechanical things.

Adjusted valve lash to .006" and .008" (intake and and exhaust, respectively) instead of the .009" called for in the manual, based on feedback from the InterWebs (Pete Roper, others). Valves still put up a racket, but livable.

Checked timing with strobe and couldn't see any marks, so opened up the distributor to double-check the Dyna III's positions. Timed it with a test light to the "static" marks (2-3 degrees BTDC). Now the strobe shows what I believe are the "advanced" marks (two centerpunched dots 30 or so degrees BTDC) at idle. Runs better than before, but suspect it needs some additional work. Does the Dyna replace the advance mechanism entirely?

Adjusted and synched carbs (using DIY manometer). Again, running better than it did.

Think I'll keep the flames for now, but would like to do something about the peeling chrome on the valve covers. Any ideas on a cheap and safe way to strip the chrome? I read that soaking them in cola will strip them. Or muriatic acid. Or reverse the plating process. I'd like to get them down to just the clean base aluminum and run them that way. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

Dave
Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #43
Mandello
Guzzista

Oddometer: 155
Adjusted valve lash to .006" and .008" (intake and and exhaust, respectively) instead of the .009" called for in the manual, based on feedback from the InterWebs (Pete Roper, others). Valves still put up a racket, but livable

It's not a racket but the "sound" Guzzi valves make when they're happy. A lot of people reduce the gap to lessen this sound but your bike will run hotter as a result.. smaller gaps means = less air flow.
Mandello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #44
F_Sahms
mostly paved

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandello View Post
Adjusted valve lash to .006" and .008" (intake and and exhaust, respectively) instead of the .009" called for in the manual, based on feedback from the InterWebs (Pete Roper, others). Valves still put up a racket, but livable

It's not a racket but the "sound" Guzzi valves make when they're happy. A lot of people reduce the gap to lessen this sound but your bike will run hotter as a result.. smaller gaps means = less air flow.

Smaller gaps = valve stays open slightly longer, so less time closed, during which the valve can transfer heat to the valve seat.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #45
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerDave View Post

Checked timing with strobe and couldn't see any marks, so opened up the distributor to double-check the Dyna III's positions. Timed it with a test light to the "static" marks (2-3 degrees BTDC). Now the strobe shows what I believe are the "advanced" marks (two centerpunched dots 30 or so degrees BTDC) at idle. Runs better than before, but suspect it needs some additional work. Does the Dyna replace the advance mechanism entirely?
Hi

The Dyna only replaces the points. The advance is still handled by the springs & weights. If the springs are original they may be clapped out, and/or the pivots for the weights may need a dash of lube.

I found it difficult to get the timing just right on my T using the usual methods. So I did the following: Pick a cylinder. Rotate the engine until the full advance mark for that cylinder is centered in the inspection hole on the trans. Then rotate the advance mechanism using a wide slotted screwdriver until it is at full advance. With your third hand () adjust the pickup sensor until it is just switching on. I found that it does not line up with the mark on the dyna rotor, so use a test light to find that point & make a new mark.

It's basically static timing at full advance. I think the method is good; I just returned from an 900 mile weekend, returned 50mpg, bike ran strong with zero pinging. Stock carbs & jetting, 51k miles.

The T is a good bike. Mine is probably my favorite bike ever.