User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Colorado_Rider OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,026
1st World Motorcycle Related Problems at their Finest

Here's my sob story. When I was 19 I got my first bike and like so many here, addicted from the first ride and the obsession didn't let up for probably 6-7 years. Then it started to become a little more routine and although I still enjoyed it I could never match the magic I felt in the early years, those being the best of my life. Every year I get older (37 now) becomes less and less enjoyable while feeling more like work to ride super long distances. I get bored with bikes so quickly it rediculous and 2 hours into a week long tour I have thoughts of turning around.

I'm trying to come to terms with some of this just being part of getting older, watching my 2 year old nephew reminds me things just become less and less fascinating with age. I still enjoy riding and everytime I try to let it go and find a new passion, my life suddenly feels so empty without it and I come running back.

Something else I just don't understand is I'm enjoying a swift ride through the canyons less and less. In my 20's I was obsessed like few others, and it controlled every single aspect of my life. Hopelessly addicted. Now, sadly it's becoming somewhat like going through the motions. I have my moments, but they just seem so much harder to come by.

So I'm wondering if this is just what happens when you get older and/or the facts of life when you've devoted yourself to something so relentlessly and eventually it's just gets worn out.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
older (37 now)

(said the almost-50-year-old)

I seem to be experiencing the reverse, for although I rely exclusively on my bike for daily transportation, and use it to earn extra income as a food courier, and now have an additional moto-related job as a RiderCoach, I still can't get enough. My biggest problem is that work and other not-fun stuff interferes too much with play-riding.

Oh, and I've had the same bike for 7 years and have no plans to get rid of it.

But to answer your question, I don't think it's that unusual. People's tastes and desires change over time. If you were to go back 20 years, you'd probably find yourself obsessed by music, movies, people, etc., that you don't care at all about today. Same with hobbies -- assuming that's what riding is to you.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
ZiaThunder
Go big or go home

Oddometer: 473
I went though the same thing with the horses. It why I now ride motorcycles. I rode horses from the time I was five. Sold my last horse off when I was 39. There are times when I miss it, but I don't see myself ever owning another horse.
ZiaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
LudemJo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
There is no shame in laying off riding for awhile. I have stopped riding for years at a time, but I always end up coming back. Additionally, maybe you are bored with the type of riding you are doing and need to change up in order to get the spark back. Maybe it's time to buy a cruiser and slow down and enjoy the ride instead of blasting through canyons.

I just got back into riding this year, and have put 6,000 miles on my bike since March. I find I want to ride all the time now. At 56 I have ridden for more years than I have not, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

John
LudemJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 520
Let me see...getting older...37 years old...hmmmm. I believe that make me damn near dead.

Take some time off or just do it less often so you enjoy it more. I'm one of those sad guys who took 20 some years off to raise some tax deductions. When I started again it was more intense than when I was a college kid. I put three times as many miles on my bike in one year than I put on my old bike in three. I don't recommend the long break I took, but a break can make it fresh again.

Old.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,157
get a dirt bike.

street/road riding is fun and all, but...

seriously, though, find something else (maybe just switching to dirt or maybe something completely different) that you find yourself becoming passionate about.

i was passionate about riding in my teenage years. then i got into other things. then other things. then other things. i was passionate about each one of them, and my life was greatly enhanced by taking part in each of them. but, when the passion started to wear off, i moved onto something else...sometimes back into something i had a passion for in the past.

(about 5 years or so ago, i started to regain desire to ride motorcycles. bought one and have become very passionate about it again.)

i think i have lived a fuller life...and i have certainly had a broader set of experiences...because of moving from one passion to another instead of spending my whole life passionate about one thing.

you cannot be new yourself like a 2 year old, but you can certainly seek out and experience new things...one of them will likely reignite that flame.

i think being truly alive is not always so much about what you do, but how you do it (and what it stirs inside you).
Old 08-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I haven't ridden all summer... After riding the Sierra Madres and Baja and ending with Moab, well, MN feels meh at best.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
ayeroller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I started riding when I was 9 got my bike licsense at 17 at about 35 I sold my fatboy because life was just busy,kids,house all that stuff. About three year ago I bought a quad to ride with the kids. That got the juices flowing so last year I bought a Uly. I've been lovin that and now I'm in the market for a dual sport that I can hang on the back o the motorhome and catch some trail riding when I can. I'm 51 and glad to be back on 2wheels if ain't rockin your boat take a break, try some trails bikes will always be here when your ready
ayeroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
The older you get the less time you have. Spend it doing things you enjoy.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,209
Get a small bike.
I was bored with the big bikes, but since getting a TU250, an XT200, and a new SR400, I do not have enough time to ride, and will go out every day, even for a 1/2 hour local ride just because its so much fun to zip around on a small light, under powered bike.

40+ years of riding and I can not get enough, only my wife keeps me in check.
Nasty weather? I take the XT out for local dirt riding.
Great weather? I take a street bike out.
Its hard for me to sit on a bike (or in a car) for much over an hour, so its lots of short rides or longer rides with breaks to get off the bike.

If you have a bike you LOVE to ride, you will ride a lot.
I had bigger bikes and was very bored with them.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
steve68steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs?

What you describe is a feature of the INTP personality type.

'12 Glee

steve68steve screwed with this post 08-16-2014 at 05:54 PM
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
I like to dualsport, have a great ride to the end of the pavement... Then the best time climbing trails, crossing fords, single teak stoke ect...gets you to places it's hard to even imagine.....
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiaThunder View Post
I went though the same thing with the horses. It why I now ride motorcycles. I rode horses from the time I was five. Sold my last horse off when I was 39. There are times when I miss it, but I don't see myself ever owning another horse.
You don't have to feed a motorcycle if you don't ride it.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
Antiquar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
You don't have to feed a motorcycle if you don't ride it.
Feed it? You mean you don't just pour STA-BIL in the horse after each season?
Antiquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
Let me see...getting older...37 years old...hmmmm. I believe that make me damn near dead.
Thought the same thing when I saw his post... Getting ready to hit 63 here. I am still as excited by motorcycles now as I was at age 11 when I was first exposed to riding on my uncles Vespa. I find it ironic that I started out riding on a scooter and after many years and many different motorcycles am back to riding one.

I may be out in left field on this but I personally think the OP is depressed. Maybe needs to talk to his doctor and possibly get some meds to help.

Doug from Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote