ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
GroceryRun OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 64
Canadian women stops car in left lane for ducks

Be careful out there.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
Skyshadow
Tree hugger
 
Skyshadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: By the hemlock tree on top of a hill
Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryRun View Post

been hashed over more than hash......conclusion on all fronts

-Both at fault, Harley rider going too fast and not paying attention, trying to stop 30' from impact. Woman should not have stopped in left.

- Woman should not receive jail time do to not being a criminal, but should serve a lot of community service.
__________________
-safe gear is not ATGATT, it is simply the right gear at the right time-

-If you have a problem with me...be an adult and discuss it, don't be an asshole and try to hurt my feelings. Too many of those on the internet-
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
bemiiten
League of Adventures
 
bemiiten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Hamilton NJ.
Oddometer: 4,766
I'd like to know where and how she stopped. Did she slam on the brakes at rush hour? Were her hazards on? If around a blind bend or rise is one thing But if the car was in plain sight on a clear open road, then certainly the person who hit her would be at fault. She was paying enough attention to spot tiny ducks in the road.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
toy4fun
GET out of the way
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Beautiful downtown Roy, WA
Oddometer: 230
Hate telling stories but, I was coming out of Munchen in my cage just got on th Autobahn. Mom duck led her kids onto the hiway and I hit several of them because stopping would have meant a huge accident. Wife dispized me for not stopping. I'll show her this story!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
NickW1
Adventurer
 
NickW1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 66
A Jury of 12 found her guilty and unamously too, actions have consequences and her stupidity caused the death of two people, so yea she should do hard time.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
Oscar Wilde
NickW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW1 View Post
A Jury of 12 found her guilty and unamously too, actions have consequences and her stupidity caused the death of two people, so yea she should do hard time.
Story is she was stopped and out of the car when another vehicle swerved to miss her completely stopped vehicle. It missed her. The two cyclists behind that vehicle however didn't have enough following distance and hit her parked car.

IMO,cyclists were following too close. Sure she's an idiot,but they had ample time from her being stopped to their impact to react. Check JM for more info. "Ducks > Humans" thread.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
Deuce
Crazy Canuck
 
Deuce's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
Oddometer: 2,656
She stopped around the corner on a blind curve. So not possible to see her until you rounded the curve. How many of you arm chair riders have not taken blind curves at speed?
__________________
Stay Calm, Be Brave, Wait for the Sign.
Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #8
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
She stopped around the corner on a blind curve. So not possible to see her until you rounded the curve. How many of you arm chair riders have not taken blind curves at speed?
Sounds to me like there's a shit load of misinformation in this thread alone.


Does anyone have, you know, actual facts?
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #9
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
She stopped around the corner on a blind curve. So not possible to see her until you rounded the curve. How many of you arm chair riders have not taken blind curves at speed?
Stopped in the left lane: yep, this would have killed me too.
__________________
2004 DR650: 59,300 miles of

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer
 
RVDan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Abbotsford British Columbia Canada
Oddometer: 2,226
I stopped for a dog yesterday. I feel like I should turn myself in.
__________________
Sometimes wheelies happen


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: SE Michigan
Oddometer: 1,296
Not knowing the actual facts, we're all operating on assumptions here. If she was convicted there is likely other information to this situation aside from "she stopped to avoid killing some ducks."

Still, I was taught, even in the shitty American drivers' training system, that you are almost always responsible for what's ahead of you. The only situation I can think of where a driver/rider would not be at fault for running into the back of another rider/driver is if the other rider/driver merged into the first rider/driver's lane without enough space and with no warning and jammed on the brakes.

A car that is already stopped in the road is certainly a hazard, but entering a blind corner at a speed such that you're unable to stop or maneuver in time to not hit an obstacle is also a bad idea. Just because this time it was a dumb driver causing the hazard for a stupid reason doesn't mean next time it couldn't be rockfall, or sand/gravel, or a deer carcass, or any number of other things that would be problematic to run into/over.

Sympathies to the friends and families of the riders killed, and certainly the driver of the stopped car was a contributing factor, but I'm of the opinion that when you're on two wheels, you have to be extra-vigilant about ensuring your own safety regardless of the idiotic actions of other road users.

Edit: Just re-read the article a little more closely and realized she was stopped on a "provincial highway." I'm not 100% sure of the American analogue, but to my knowledge, many states have laws against coming to a stop on controlled-access roads like interstate freeways. If this was a similar situation, that would help explain the verdict.
__________________
--------------------------- Steve----------------------------------------
'93 GL1500 frankenbike basketcase in progress
'96 DR350SE
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #12
mhpr262
Summer is coming
 
mhpr262's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Erding, Germany
Oddometer: 3,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post

-Both at fault, Harley rider going too fast and not paying attention, trying to stop 30' from impact. Woman should not have stopped in left.
Considering it was a Harley rider he probably used only the rear brake too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
Hate telling stories but, I was coming out of Munchen in my cage just got on th Autobahn. Mom duck led her kids onto the hiway and I hit several of them because stopping would have meant a huge accident. Wife dispized me for not stopping. I'll show her this story!
In Germany we have the law that you can only go so fast that you can stop within the distance you can oversee at any time, but it was a good idea not to try that out on the Autobahn!

If you try to swerve to avoid hitting an an animal and cause an accident you are usually not at fault if the animal was taller than knee-high. Anything smaller than that you have to run it over rather than put other people at risk
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer
 
xltrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Central IL
Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
She stopped around the corner on a blind curve. So not possible to see her until you rounded the curve. How many of you arm chair riders have not taken blind curves at 20 mph over the speed limit on a bike that can't stop worth a damn?
I haven't.
Failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident was the cause of the riders death. She should do AT LEAST 10 years, for her illegal stopping on interstate and manslaughter. She was found guilty of second degree murder, so...
__________________
1991 FJ1200
1995 YZF600 track bike and rolling chassis
2000 Husqvarna SM610S
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
Herkmech
Adventurer
 
Herkmech's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Olive Branch Ms
Oddometer: 56
I disagree with her going to prison. She is not a criminal and had no criminal intent in her actions. Being stupid is not criminal (yet). This is about revenge not justice. She should be held liable in a civil court. She has to live with her horribly misguided judgement and spending years in prison will not increase her guilt. Just my opinion.
Herkmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 7,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkmech View Post
I disagree with her going to prison. She is not a criminal and had no criminal intent in her actions. Being stupid is not criminal (yet). This is about revenge not justice. She should be held liable in a civil court. She has to live with her horribly misguided judgement and spending years in prison will not increase her guilt. Just my opinion.
And, once again, her punishment is more about sending a message to society as a whole than it is about punishing her.

It's called "deterrence".
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014