Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
kneeslider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Question Roadside Memorials

When did this practice start & why?

Piling "stuff" roadside, curbside or outside a home or building doesn't make sense to me, plz explain this.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #2
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,825
Seems like littering to me.
on a side note, I notice a lot of them are on straight section... how do you run off the road and die on a straightaway?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
Izzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I guess so the spot where someone's loved one died doesn't become just another forgotten piece of roadside real estate- at least for a while. I kind of get it.
Izzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
I don't like the practice. It just adds more crap to the side of the road. Not to mention, they're putting all of this crap on property they likely don't own. Stop littering and remember your dead by yourself. Set up a GPS waypoint so you don't forget instead, or something.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
graphiteti
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Nice troll...or just an asshole?
graphiteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
Seems like littering to me.
on a side note, I notice a lot of them are on straight section... how do you run off the road and die on a straightaway?
Falling asleep
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,416
I think it's part of a mourning process. It's been going on (at least in Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia) for the last 30 years. I can't say it's a good idea, but understand it's part of being human.

I think their time would be better spent going to the cemetery and caring for the grave site. But, maybe there is no grave site (e.g. cremation) and they feel the need to do something at the crash site.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #8
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
I think it's a good practice. Much more personal than a graveyard. And it doesn't do any harm, so why not.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
ROAD DAMAGE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
Roadside markers

I find it interesting that some states have been allowing groups (and maybe state agencies?) to erect markers where folks have died in accidents on the sides of the roadways. I believe it's Montana that has the ones with the little hearts? Supposed to be reminders to pay attention I guess?

Once while we were rolling down the road in a cage my wife asked me, "I wonder how many people have actually crashed and died from wrestling around trying to put on their seatbelt while they are driving?" :loll

So I have the same thoughts about roadside shrines. Do you think anyone has ever gotten distracted by the shrine and had a head-on with a Peterbilt?

Irony: def. see irony
Old 10-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Sugra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Descansos

I used to see these in Baja back in the '70s. Seems like they really started to make their way into S. California in the '90s. There are tons of them here in New Mexico, some simple, some pretty elaborate, some over the top. It is surprising how well maintained some are, even way out in the middle of nowhere. I don't have a problem with them.

On a similar note, I'm starting to see more Ghost Bikes/White Cycles out here. I think these are a good thing.
Sugra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
leftfield6
Dog is CoPilot

Oddometer: 110
I know people have the best of intentions when they erect these, but I think they are a bad idea. As someone who recently lost a family member to a motorcycle-vehicle crash, I absolutely understand the mourning and/or dealing with it thought process that surrounds the exact "spot" where the life was lost.

The intersection where my brother-in-law was killed when a pick-up truck pulled out in front of him is about a mile from my second house in Virginia. I'm up there about every other weekend, and I drive over that spot at least 3-4 times when I'm up there. and I always dread getting to it. So I get the need some people feel to mark the spot.

At the same time, why would you want to put anything there that will distract other drivers? If a driver's attention is distracted for a moment of "Hey, what does the writing on that cross say?" then the mourners have inadvertently set up a scenario where another family may need to erect a cross next to the original one in the future.

The intersection where my BIL crashed is already dangerous enough without me setting up an additional distraction.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
My Dad has pictures of similar roadside shrines taken in Europe when he was stationed there during and after WW2. They've become so common around here that they really aren't distracting any more.

What I do find to maybe be in questionable taste are large decals in the rear windows of new cars, often expensive ones, that read "In Loving Memory of _____ _____". It's like they're saying "look what we bought with the money we got from Uncle Freddie's fatal car wreck lawsuit !"
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Squidbrah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
I find it interesting that some states have been allowing groups (and maybe state agencies?) to erect markers where folks have died in accidents on the sides of the roadways. I believe it's Montana that has the ones with the little hearts? Supposed to be reminders to pay attention I guess?

Once while we were rolling down the road in a cage my wife asked me, "I wonder how many people have actually crashed and died from wrestling around trying to put on their seatbelt while they are driving?" :loll

So I have the same thoughts about roadside shrines. Do you think anyone has ever gotten distracted by the shrine and had a head-on with a Peterbilt?

Irony: def. see irony
The state puts up little white crosses. There's places where you'll see 3 or 4 in on spot.
Squidbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
leftfield6
Dog is CoPilot

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidbrah View Post
The state puts up little white crosses. There's places where you'll see 3 or 4 in on spot.

Until your post, I had never heard of Montana's White Cross program. The crosses are actually put up by the American Legion, not the state itself. Although the state gave permission, and provides some of the fatality information. I still dislike the practice, but at least it's not the state doing it directly. I'd like us to keep a little distance between church and state please!

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 52,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfield6 View Post
Until your post, I had never heard of Montana's White Cross program. The crosses are actually put up by the American Legion, not the state itself. Although the state gave permission, and provides some of the fatality information. I still dislike the practice, but at least it's not the state doing it directly. I'd like us to keep a little distance between church and state please!
The cross is just a symbol in recognition of a death, not their religion.

What ever happened to live and let live anyhow? The state is not advocating any particular religion!

Personally I find them interesting and a sad reminder to pay attention!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote