Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #91
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by infresig View Post

Interesting combination of rear wheel hop and target fixation. My question, however, is can anyone identify the dainese jacket that this guy is wearing?
Do those bikes have ABS? That is what the system looks like in slow-mo from what I have seen in other videos.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #92
infresig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Do those bikes have ABS? That is what the system looks like in slow-mo from what I have seen in other videos.
They don't have ABS but that's definitely not what ABS looks like in action. If it operated like that, it would be a terrible safety mechanism.
infresig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #93
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,810
Looks like all the interesting action on Mulholland Drive comes from one corner where photographers and idiots gather to watch other idiots show off. Seems to me that if the pull-off was dug out/blocked off or otherwise made inaccessible, most of the crashes wouldn't happen.

I'm going to REALLY hate to say this, but I think US129 is more interesting. The upside, however, is that the more morons flock to Mulholland and Deal's Gap, the less of them there are everywhere else. I realize this has only a microscopic effect but every little helps.

I feel really sorry for the families of the few who ruin or end their lives trying to look good for the cameras and hope the photographers and other vultures can live with that.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #94
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
I have ridden section hundred's of times in the last 25 years. Here is my take on it.

Some of the things have been mentioned. Rock Store is only 2 miles down hill. So many stop there. Have coffee. Look at bikes. Then ride on with now cool tires.

The Snake is mostly 2nd gear with one spot that I go for 3rd. Until this corner. Which is 3rd gear for me. The corner is very easy. It has good vision. Nicely banked. Until the end, where it is flat and leads to a 1/4 mile straight. It is fairly polished asphalt.

So these guys( and gals) come screaming up it in 2nd. Finally get a 3rd gear corner. They really want to get on it and get there chance as the corner goes into the straight. So they send all 130hp to the earth. But the cold tires and the polished pavement and the lean angle just don't add up.

I ride up there. If my only day off is a weekend. Then I'll go early and get out of there before the chaos. There are 1000's of other turns up there that are better than this one. I ride those.

The Crest. I will not go there on a weekend. But on a weekday. That is heaven on earth. My first choice is a weekday ride on the Crest.

Oh. Lookie there. I have this Thursday off. You know where to find me.

EDIT: just went and looked at some of the crashing vids. Of the 4 I watched. 3 of the bikes had dealer placards. Not even plated. And there are tons of videos with great riders not crashing.
IBA#11791

G.Kennedy screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 06:15 AM
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #95
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Angeles Crest is so dangerous I wont even go up there anymore.
Damn. My first post-license-exam ride was with a friend who lent me his SV650 so we could ride the ACH. He rode pillion. Aside from all of the rocks in the road, I thought it was awesome. I was going about 45mph for most of it - just wonderful. It was october and chilly, so maybe that was why so little traffic. We sure did confuse the 'stitch crowd at Newcomb's Ranch with both of us on that "little yellow thing", though.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #96
Zeke013
Village Idiot

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Looks like all the interesting action on Mulholland Drive comes from one corner where photographers and idiots gather to watch other idiots show off. Seems to me that if the pull-off was dug out/blocked off or otherwise made inaccessible, most of the crashes wouldn't happen.

I'm going to REALLY hate to say this, but I think US129 is more interesting. The upside, however, is that the more morons flock to Mulholland and Deal's Gap, the less of them there are everywhere else. I realize this has only a microscopic effect but every little helps.

I feel really sorry for the families of the few who ruin or end their lives trying to look good for the cameras and hope the photographers and other vultures can live with that.
But which came first - the crashes or the videographers?
Zeke013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #97
TinyTrains
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke013 View Post
But which came first - the crashes or the videographers?
Crashes came first. Squids have been crashing on the Snake since LONG before camcorders. It was just as wacky in the late 70's. I have been riding around there for years, and chasing off the cameras will not change much.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #98
Orygunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Just past the lookout, a few years back. 60 something idiot in his old ferrari challenges 20 something idiot in his 5.0 mustang to a duel. Carnage ensues...

I had ridden through mere moments before this happened, remembered seeing the guys (idiots) parked at the lookout.
Here's the news article I could find:
http://www.malibutimes.com/articles/...newsbriefs.txt

...Orygunner...
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Actually I'm not sure the Vulcan qualifies as a bike... two wheeled tank, maybe....With the 2000's clearance I'm not sure the Vulcan could make it around the tightest curves on a track without having to stop and back up...
Orygunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #100
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Damn. My first post-license-exam ride was with a friend who lent me his SV650 so we could ride the ACH. He rode pillion. Aside from all of the rocks in the road, I thought it was awesome. I was going about 45mph for most of it - just wonderful. It was october and chilly, so maybe that was why so little traffic. We sure did confuse the 'stitch crowd at Newcomb's Ranch with both of us on that "little yellow thing", though.
its not that bad in the winter time..... in fact I can remember being up there all by myself a few times in the winter with snow etc. But man stay away from that place in the summer on the weekends.
One of our own was killed up there on a Friday
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #101
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I ride down in SoCal on ACH and the canyons in the winter on the weekends and it's not bad at all. On weekdays I can have places like Palomar almost all to myself a lot of the time.

I haven't ridden it in a few years but I rode 129 once at about 6pm on a Sunday evening and there were only a few other bikes there.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #102
RockStorePhotos
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Vulture responds

I have shot close to 180,000 photos on The Snake so far in 2012. Around 150 of those photos are sequences from 10 crashes. So if ten people out of the approx 120,000 who have ridden The Snake in the past 8 months crash, what does that mean?

It means there have been 179,990 riders drivers and cyclists who have transited The Snake successfully.

It means flatlanders who not of what they speak should stick to crayfish and mile long straightaways.

It means that a few of you ride with little ADV badges sewn into your panties.

It means that if you are in Los Angles and want to ride your bike to The Snake, you are not in imminent danger of crashing.

RockStorePhotos screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 05:32 PM
RockStorePhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #103
SloCalSpode
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStorePhotos View Post
I have shot close to 180,000 photos on The Snake so far.
And Paul. I want to be the first here to thank you for taking all those pictures of me as I ride past.
I never once felt like crashing for you just to "Get THAT shot".
Two of my favorites.
The SDR200

and the Super Sherpa. Keep up the good work
SloCalSpode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #104
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStorePhotos View Post
I have shot close to 180,000 photos on The Snake so far. Around 150 of those photos are sequences from 10 crashes. So if ten people out of the approx 120,000 who have ridden The Snake in the past 8 months crash, what does that mean?

It means there have been 179,990 riders drivers and cyclists who have transited The Snake successfully.

It means flatlanders who not of what they speak should stick to crayfish and mile long straightaways.

It means that a few of you ride with little ADV badges sewn into your panties.

It means that if you are in Los Angles and want to ride your bike to The Snake, you are not in imminent danger of crashing.
California speak?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #105
RockStorePhotos
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks!

Nice to see all the comments aren't darts and all the gestures not middle fingers. Thanks Jeff!

RockStorePhotos screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 05:37 PM Reason: I f'ed up.
RockStorePhotos is offline   Reply With Quote