User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Tiger 955i skidplate and crash bar suggestions pls

Just picked up an '04 955i and am really liking this bike so far. I plan on doing some dirt/gravel roads so I am wondering what the best protective gear is for this bike. Touratech makes a bunch of stuff but it's $$$$. Hepco Becker makes some crash bars that seem a little cheaper. Any recommendations are appreciated!

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
johned
green noob

Oddometer: 41
I am surprised nobody is getting in on this. I am a noob and still searching for my bike. I have read that many are seriously disapopinted at the ground clearance and say they bash the bottom skid plate often. I will believe them. The skid/bash plate seems to come in two major variations.....nicely curved and hugging the pies and SHORT. The other is more squared of and ugly but is a truly protecting item.. I think that style comes in a short version and a longer that would protect the trans. You NEED crash bars that cover the front corners of the engine and for sure you need the bars that protect the "plastic" tank that bulges into the crash zone of nearly any mishap or drop.

Get the finger protestors that keep the branches from hurting and get the model that has a strong metal bar inside that will save the amputation of fingers by the brake or clutch levers.

You need way more help than I can give and I only hope to inspire questions. I want to see what the heavies have to say.

John
johned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
You get what you pay for. I have the Touratech pretty much everything on my 06 girlie. The stuff is stout. I you get a center stand, only the SW Motech works with a skid plate. The Zega panniers are tough as hell also.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
I plan on doing some dirt/gravel roads so I am wondering what the best protective gear is for this bike. Touratech makes a bunch of stuff but it's $$$$. Hepco Becker makes some crash bars that seem a little cheaper. Any recommendations are appreciated!
I had a buddy weld up this to mate with a set of Touratrinket crash bars.

Very stout and it still worked great even after bottoming it out on some trails in Big Bend.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. I ended up biting the bullet and ordered the Touratech stuff ($$$$!). Oil and rad guards, skid plate, and crash bars. I read somewhere that the center stand on 05s and older will work with the skid plate, so I just went ahead with it. Amazing what you can end up paying for peace of mind

Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
dino246
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
You should be happy, I have the touratech crashbars and sump guard, both tested and found to be very stout.
dino246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I ended up biting the bullet and ordered the Touratech stuff ($$$$!). Oil and rad guards, skid plate, and crash bars. I read somewhere that the center stand on 05s and older will work with the skid plate, so I just went ahead with it. Amazing what you can end up paying for peace of mind
The SW Motech centerstand works with the TT skidplate. The factory centerstand from what I am told, does not work with the TT skidplate.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
MountainGoatMyke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:

How's it this set up doing for you ? I have an 05 which needs protection and not many choice out there in the market !
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir. 1901
MountainGoatMyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
Gundy OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeMyke View Post
How's it this set up doing for you ? I have an 05 which needs protection and not many choice out there in the market !

The bike is long gone, but the TT stuff was all very sturdy...