User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #316
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 503
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/34.html

It's been a long slog down from the cold north. We've pounded out two thousand kms of pavement since crossing the border - the forests of northern BC all blurring into a hypnotic mess of trees and deer, strings of closed gas stations and ceaseless sandwiches by the roadside. As we hit the southern interior of the province, we're welcomed by the warmth of the drylands. At a campsite in Cache Creek, we break out the maps in search of some off-road fun.

Basking in the heat of the sun, Fraser River in the background

There's a great-looking dual sport road that runs from Ashcroft, on the other side of the Fraser River from the main TransCanada Highway heading south. This is the first day we've ridden without layering up like Michelin Men. The temperature soars to 31C and we're thankfully for our mesh riding gear.

Looking for adventure!

Headless horseman on the hills of the Fraser

The Fraser Canyon slowly becomes the Fraser Valley around here

Beautiful day, beautiful roads and awesome scenery!

Bikes and gravel roads reflected off Neda's visor

It hasn't rained for days and there's a fairly deep water crossing. Wonder what it looks like after a rainfall?

Curious mountain sheep wondering why we are taking heavy street machinery onto a dirtbike road...

Out of nowhere, an old dilapidated church! How random!

Uphill climb through some rubble. I can do it.... I can do it...

... I can't do it....

I get done in by a conspiracy of really large rocks, ambushing me near the top. Bad line selection and the big GS suddenly becomes sleepy and decides to take a nap right then and there. Neda comes in over the intercom, "What's taking you so long...?", "I'm... uh, just enjoying the scenery..." There was no way I was going to lift this bad boy by myself, so I sheepishly radio her for help.

Standing up on pegs on the way down - same rocky mess as uphill

Across the Fraser we see TransCanada 1 and a colourful CP Rail train underneath it, snaking in and out of tunnels. It looks like a toy!

The gravel road hugs the hills as it the Fraser River twists and turns below us

Wake up! It's time to go!

Over the intercom, I hear a series of F-bombs and around the bend, I see Neda standing over her sleeping GS. The road switches back on itself as it steeply ascends one of the mountains and the inside line that Neda's taken is full of sand. Her slumbering motorcycle becomes a cautionary tale and I take the outside line, past the clutches of the Sandman, ride past her up the mountain, park and the walk down to help her right her bike... Still pissed off when I got back... :)

Okay, we're happy again!

Right at the end of the trail, a closed gate stops us from reaching the highway. I spy a padlock on the chain and now it's my turn to be pissed. It was late in the afternoon and there was no way we were going to turn around and do this trail again, cross the Fraser and then ride the TransCanada just to get back to this very spot! I was seriously thinking about how to break the lock, but when I walk up to the gate, I see that the padlock was just holding the loop of the chain around the top of the fencepost. An easy matter to slip the loop off and open the gate. *phew*

Just kidding about smashing the lock.

Maybe...

This is the PG-rated version

We notice a sign as we are leaving. Um... at least we didn't do any hunting...?

Starving, and a bit tired from all the playing in the dirt, we go in search of food. There's a nice Chinese restaurant just down the road, and we splurge a bit, ordering the chicken chow mein and beef fried rice. Almost as soon as the dishes hit the table, it was all gone, the final victim of a fun-filled day on the Cache Creek back roads.

Neda's fortune cookie - how true!

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:12 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #317
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Two small tips for the dirt.....first, don't look at the big rocks. You WILL hit what you are looking at, look where you want to go.

And second, all of the loose debris and sand will be on the downhill or low side of the road.....gravity.....the "clean" line is likely to be on the uphill or high side of the road.

You've probably figured that out by now
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #318
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,518
awesome RR!

it's gotta be hard to take her seriously when she's behind that sun visor...

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #319
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 688
Mummy bags that don't zip together For The Fail. :([/QUOTE]

Been enjoying the story.

Re: mummies that zip.

Lasted one night on a cold 20 degree eve. April River trip down the upper Owyhee Canyon.

1. You can't seal the collar well so all the heat gets lost.

2. Anytine your partner rolls you go with.

3. Won't talk about what happens after greasy tacos and beer but even being married I don't deserve that stench.

One night is all it took. +1 on getting naked into fuzzies with deadicated sleeping sox. We also like fleece balclavas.

Door is open if you get Boise way.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #320
dirt between my toes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thumb Nice seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
awesome RR!

it's gotta be hard to take her seriously when she's behind that sun visor...

Your just showing off your seat !! Who makes it ?
dirt between my toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #321
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 169
Cashe Creek

I was there in the middle of August..HOT dry place! Made my way from there to Rte 99 south to Whistler BC.. then Horseshoe Bay to Vancouver Island.I am enjoying your RR. Nights must be getting cold there..its in the 40's here in Maryland ..the high today was like 48F.
John Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #322
ridersblock
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm new to ADVrider, and thought I should post a ride report about my IBA SS1000 ride from Oakland, CA to Surrey, B.C.. I figured I should read a few "ride reports" first, so I know what other riders are posting about and I must say WOW, the two of you are on an EPIC ADVENTURE! It's border line LEGEND... (wait for it) ...ARY! Love the photos and the write up.

BTW my first girlfriend is also named "Neda", so as I was reading your report. I kept thinking to myself, wish MY Neda was cool enough to do something like this with me. She would be my first girlfriend, and my last!

Best wishes to you both!
ridersblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #323
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt between my toes View Post
Your just showing off your seat !! Who makes it ?
It's a Corbin seat, very comfortable but very cruiserish. Neda complains a bit that the seat is a bit wide which makes standing up on the pegs a bit difficult because you can't grip the tank as well. At least that's her excuse in this picture...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nash View Post
Nights must be getting cold there..its in the 40's here in Maryland ..the high today was like 48F.
We're still looking at high 30s/low 40s overnight. :( Trying to get further south to somewhere warmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersblock View Post
I'm new to ADVrider, and thought I should post a ride report about my IBA SS1000 ride from Oakland, CA to Surrey, B.C.
IBA #44913 here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersblock View Post
BTW my first girlfriend is also named "Neda", so as I was reading your report. I kept thinking to myself, wish MY Neda was cool enough to do something like this with me. She would be my first girlfriend, and my last!
I guess I lucked out on my very first Neda!
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #324
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 824
You two planning to cross into Mexico? Farther South?
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #325
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
You two planning to cross into Mexico? Farther South?
Seeing as they're riding "Around the WORLD", chances are good to even better!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #326
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/35.html

From our Cache Creek ride, we booted to our RideDOT.com Vancouver HQ, or as our friends Kevin and Manon like to call it, "home". Yes, every 6-7 weeks or so, we scurry back to K&M's couch to catch up on MotoGP, drink lots of Cherry Pepsi and eat cupcakes and sour-cream-and-onions Pringles for breakfast! It was good to park the bikes for a few days and just hang with friends.

Helga eyes the red garage with suspicion...

We did take the bikes out for a spin in the city to get new shoes. Back to Tourances, since the Heidenau K76s vibrated too much and were too noisy. Riding shots below courtesy of Kevin's GoPro!

Chatting at a stop sign - Pic by Kevin V.

Kevin sat me down and caught me up with what's been happening in the world while we were trekking in the Arctic. He showed me Gangnam Style on YouTube and told me this was probably the most important thing that's happened in the last couple of months. What... The...?

Rabbits and Goats at the BMW dealership

Crossing one of the many bridges in the Vancouver area - Pic by Kevin V.

Manon and I must shop at the same store - matching REV'IT! jackets, Schuberth C3s and Sena coms

Judy, our ex-pat friend from Toronto, showed us a good sushi restaurant then we ate decadent donuts at 49th Parallel Cafe!

Friends!

The last root beer cupcake!

It was a very relaxing break, great company, lots of decadent foods, warm Vancouver weather, and we could have easily stayed till April, but we've got to get a move on before the cold weather catches up to us!

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:12 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #327
Django
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Kevin sat me down and caught me up with what's been happening in the world while we were trekking in the Arctic. He showed me Gangnam Style on YouTube and told me this was probably the most important thing that's happened in the last couple of months. What... The...?

Hey, some people take it very seriously!

Really enjoying your ride report! I look forward to each update.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #328
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Kevin sat me down and caught me up with what's been happening in the world while we were trekking in the Arctic. He showed me Gangnam Style on YouTube and told me this was probably the most important thing that's happened in the last couple of months. What... The...?!
Yes that is about it........ Keep riding and posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Blame spelling mistakes on autocorrect

Find us on Spot http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...YGllfEZqqxYWcA
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #329
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Thumb

Second that! This is a really fun RR......keep those posts coming!!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #330
Skeandhu
eh?

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
It's important to keep up to speed on pop culture AS WELL AS news events. To some degree, the pop culture side may be more relevant in the future...

Quote:

The last root beer cupcake!
Yes... my LAST rootbeer cupcake.

It was great being able to host you two; the place seems a little empty now that you're gone...