User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #781
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 557
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/71.html

I love sportbikes. We sold our sportbikes before we left on our trip, but we both miss them dearly. I used to take a lot of weekdays off with a couple of buddies to ride the twisty roads a couple of hours north of Toronto.

When Garry took us for a weekend ride, about 45 minutes south of Mexico City, we were all of a sudden surrounded with supersports! They were ripping up the curves on the way to Cuernavaca and the town in between, Tres Marias, looked like a scene out of Biker Boyz! Hundreds of motorcycles lined both sides of the main road, and tons of bikers are walking around in full leathers, to see and be seen.

Riding the twisties south of Mexico City

Every weekend, Tres Marias becomes a full-on biker town

On-lookers line the main street watching impromptu stunt shows

Neda asked Garry what happens if the cops show. He replies, "Well, they close down the street to other traffic until the stunt show is over". Now *THAT'S* the way it's done!

Endo in the streets

Helmet convention in one of the restaurants

I decide to give sesos (brains) another chance... this time in Gordita-format... Jury is still out...

Aprilia Pegaso and Harley V-ROD! Some non-sportbikes!

A couple of familiar faces in the crowd...

Newer R12GS and Ducati Panigale S. Such a sweet-looking sportbike!

R1200S and CBR1000RR Repsol

Matching bike and leathers

Hands up!

Lots of people were very curious about where we were from and where we were going. This family saw that we were from Canada and wanted to get our picture with them!

Yamaha Tenere. This is a big bike and the guy riding it was even bigger!

A couple of RossiHeads

What time is it? 12 o'clock baby!

This kid needs a new sweatshirt for this season... or he can dust off his old one from 2008...

Mexico City is not what I expected. Sure, there are tons of people and cars on the road, and the hillsides of the sprawling city are slathered with houses and buildings, like a fungus spreading over the land. But life here is pretty much the same as any large city. We went out for pizza and sushi with Garry and Ivonne, and we were treated to "the world's best tacos" just 15 minutes away from the Garry Hostel! :)

South Side Motorcycle Club listens attentively. Actually, they are trying to figure out what the heck I'm saying...

The night before we left Mexico City, Garry asked me to do a presentation to his local motorcycle club. The only catch was, it had to be En Espanol! This was my first ever presentation in Spanish! In reality, it was only 10% Espanol, 40% Espanglish and 50% Charades... :)

Ivonne bids us farewell

We spent a whole week with Garry and Ivonne and really got to know them well. They are such a generous couple, opening up their home to us and we stayed an extra few days at their urging, "Oh you can't leave on Monday, the traffic will be horrible!", "You can't leave on Tuesday, I told my motorcycle club you are coming in to do a presentation"... :)

I think a lot of motorcyclists are afraid of riding into such a large city, but with Garry and Ivonne's invitation, we we're glad we ventured into Mexico City, they are amazing ambassadors for their home town!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #782
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 973
GEne, that you seem to happen on these amazing things on your adventure is not by luck. I think it is because you approach travel with both an open heart and an open mind. Thank you for sharing the experience with us. Hint: when people don't understand your Spanish, just say it again only louder. That is the tack one of my brick masons takes with me when I don't understand him.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #783
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Churros.....donuts in any country are a delight .....now, the Nutella thing I need to try

I had been keeping an eye open for you guys while going through Michoacan, but stopped waving at fellow riders as it only seemed to confuse them...

Went through Mazamitla y las mariposas....got bad tacos there and spent 36 hours recovering...sounds like you folks are winding your way eastwards...

I am now on the coast at Troncones...after afew days at Nexpa.....the riding is definitely hotter on the coast....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #784
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
Mexico City is a fantastic place, I am glad you didn't believe the hype. I've been following your RR and have to say that you guys are doing it right

Thanks for sharing.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #785
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Churros.....donuts in any country are a delight .....now, the Nutella thing I need to try

I had been keeping an eye open for you guys while going through Michoacan, but stopped waving at fellow riders as it only seemed to confuse them...

Went through Mazamitla y las mariposas....got bad tacos there and spent 36 hours recovering...sounds like you folks are winding your way eastwards...

I am now on the coast at Troncones...after afew days at Nexpa.....the riding is definitely hotter on the coast....

Ged,

Are you doing a ride report? Always nice to follow fellow CDN's on rides.

What I learned last time is don't be waiting too long to take the "travel" medication. I assume you have some. I fought with mine for weeks till I finally took it. Solved things real quick. Not sure which issues you are having, but I must of ate something bad too. It was off/on for weeks. Actually all the way back to Lapaz where I ate a questionable burger... Sadly, this was past 3/4 of the way into my trip where I regret not taking it sooner!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #786
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Shibby,
I do my ride reports once I am back home as I find they detract from my travel.....and they take some time to do, it seems. I took my Ciprio antibiotic after 6 hours of stuff leaving me quickly from both ends....after I figured I would not puke it out....a day's rest, lots of Activia yogurt, and some herbal anti-nausea medicine at a local surfer village and I am back on my feet...

Probabaly won't do a ride report this time....just cuz.....but maybe.....these guys here are doing a good job of the area...

Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #787
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Hint: when people don't understand your Spanish, just say it again only louder. That is the tack one of my brick masons takes with me when I don't understand him.
lol! Brilliant, I'll try that!

Quote:
got bad tacos there and spent 36 hours recovering...sounds like you folks are winding your way eastwards... [..]the riding is definitely hotter on the coast....
Yep, we're making our way eastwards towards the coast as well. Weather has really warmed up! Sorry to hear about your stomach bug. You mentioned you took Cipro? Did you obtain it in Mexico or did you have it before you left?

I'm mildly lactose intolerant, but there's something in the cheese down here that is very high in lactose... a couple of uncomfortable Game of Thrones incidences...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #788
motoged
Studly Adventurer

I got my Cipro in Canada before I left....bought three hits....have two left....hope I won't need them for at least 10 years...

My experience in Mexico with food is that a good restaurant can be as likely a source for digestive problems as is a taco stand on the street....I look for places that have the most locals hovering around...and try to use "judgement" at other times.

Gotta go, find a bank in Zihuatanejo, and get back here to work on my tan....

Looking forward to your next instalment.....and really appreciate that sometimes travel just gets in the way of writing and messing with pic downloads, editing, etc.

Que via bien....

Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #789
Django
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
a couple of uncomfortable Game of Thrones incidences...
And with that reference, the words of House Lannister, Baratheon and Targaryen immediately popped into mind.

Hear Me Roar

Ours is the Fury

Fire and Blood

I'm so sorry I shared this
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #790
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Hear Me Roar
Ours is the Fury
Fire and Blood
I'm so sorry I shared this
Geez, and yet at the same time...

How fitting though, we've both been struck with a case of Montezuma's the last 24 hours. Going to lay low for the next day or two...

Quote:
My experience in Mexico with food is that a good restaurant can be as likely a source for digestive problems as is a taco stand on the street....I look for places that have the most locals hovering around...and try to use "judgement" at other times.
We've been trying to practice that as well. Right now racking our brains trying to figure out which one of the restaurants gave us the old Aztec Two-Step...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #791
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/72.html

Puebla is about an hour and a half away from Mexico City. However, most of that hour and half was spent in thick, grid-locked traffic trying to escape the sprawling, over-populated metropolis. We breathed a sigh of relief as we reached the outskirts of the city, thrust into the open spaces of the central highlands of the Sierra Madre. The city of Puebla is the largest in the state of Puebla, but at *only* 2 million people, it paled in comparison to the human sardine can called Mexico City.

Excavation of some of the ruins at the bottom of the pyramid in Cholula

We're really here to see the pyramids in neighbouring Cholula, about 10 minutes away from Puebla. It's the largest archaeological site in the New World, and most of the great pyramid is still buried and looks like a really large hill. It'll probably remain so, because on top lies a large church built by the Spanish in the 16th century.

There are tunnels inside the pyramid that you can explore!

Almost all of the passages are blocked off so it's a single way in and out,
otherwise you'd get lost inside

Tunnels are narrow and spooky!

Cholula's site is interesting because at least three different civilizations over the centuries have built on or next to the existing ruins, not including the Spanish church at the top of the buried pyramid!

Velodores!

Outside the pyramid, we saw a group of velodores perform the ancient ceremony of bungie jumping. I can't explain it properly, but this was such a cool sight to see live, ever since being captivated by a TV program I saw of this when I was a little kid. No harnesses or safety wires, just a guy at the top cheering them on by playing a flute as they slowly descended while spinning around the very tall pole.

This was the closest I got to performing dangerous stunts. Unless you count riding around in Mexico City traffic...

The pyramid is right inside Cholula. Neda surveys the city from the ledge.

At the very top of the buried pyramid, we walk around the Spanish church

Chapulines! Tasty!

In the markets around the ruins and in Cholula, we saw baskets of Chapulines for sale, or as the English-speakers call it, Grasshoppers. Feeling a little adventurous, we bought a bag and tried some. They were dry-roasted with garlic and chilli, and they were very delicious, crispy and salty. I didn't really mind cleaning the wings and legs from my teeth, however for the next few hours I was burping up grasshopper, and that didn't taste pleasant. So no more Chapulines for this guy...

More traditional fare in the markets in Cholula

Festive restaurant decor. We had some of Puebla's famous Mole Poblano, chilli and chocolate sauce!

Cool bike, ma'am!

Neda was excited to see a female police officer on an F650GS! Until she tried to hit us up for a bribe... JUST KIDDING!!!! She was very cool about us taking a picture. There were actually two female biker cops, but the other one was riding a Suzuki, so we didn't really care about her... :)

Old 02-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #792
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Thanks for the update!

Your wife looks like she's hard to keep up with. Not a bad thing but she's always got that "lets go see that!" look.

The road I posted about earlier to you guys is here:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=18.170...num=1&t=h&z=12

Sadly, I rode it mostly in the rain, clouds, or night. I didn't see much but I will do it again in hopes of a clear day. I think it would provide some outstanding views. If you guys are interested I'd love to see some of the pictures. Be prepared for a VERY slow journey though. You'll get sick of the turns. On a side note, with poor/no Spanish I'd also get on the road early and attempt to finish, or at least have lots of time to to find a place to sleep. I got the feeling the locals weren't being too helpful when I was asking directions. Older people wouldn't even stop for me and walked by. I had to ask kids and gas station attendants, which as you probably found out, Mexicans will always give some directions when asked. Not always right...

I've also ridden the highways north of Oaxaca. Fantastic riding there too. Not as good views but amazing turns for hours.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #793
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Your wife looks like she's hard to keep up with. Not a bad thing but she's always got that "lets go see that!" look.
Yep, that's Neda to a T.

She's got habit of trying to pack in a ton of stuff in a finite amount of time, with no thought to sundry tasks like transit time, sleep, etc...

Meanwhile, I am the complete opposite, I measure planned downtime in days, not hours... Some may say that I'm kind of lazy. And some may be right...
Old 02-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #794
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 973
Gene, Try eating yogurt to beef up your resistance to food born intestinal bugs. Get the kind with active cultures, not Yoplait which is all sugar. I'm lactose intolerant and I can eat yogurt. If you can, it just might help prevent the next one. Imodium is also a good thing to have a long.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #795
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Gene, Try eating yogurt to beef up your resistance to food born intestinal bugs. Get the kind with active cultures, not Yoplait which is all sugar. I'm lactose intolerant and I can eat yogurt. If you can, it just might help prevent the next one. Imodium is also a good thing to have a long.
Great advice!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote