Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #811
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Skip the sugar saturated Gatorade. That stuff is terrible.

Pedialyte is much better. (Available at every OXXO and pretty much any side store)

Hope you feel better soon!
Agreed. Gatorade is glorified sugar water. The body tends to overreact to stuff so after a day or two I would take Immodium and Gravol if I were you. And Tylenol for the fever. No use dry heaving and being nauseous after a day or two. There's nothing else to expel.

No matter how careful you are there, the water is the issue. They cook with it, wash veggies with it, etc. You will get ill. Now less talk of the Hershey Squirts and more pics ;-)
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #812
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1200 View Post
Now less talk of the Hershey Squirts and more pics ;-)
Trust me, you don't want to see pics of the last 48 hours...
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #813
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Trust me, you don't want to see pics of the last 48 hours...

Gene:

your photo may be less gruesome than the image in my mind

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #814
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Gene,
You have survived tequila, chapulines, sidewalk variations, a gazillion topes, "Si, no hay premium ", mattresses like concrete, cars coming out of nowhere from behind on highways that pass within inches of your left elbow, and temptations to stop and "get a pic of that" moments.....you are on the way to surviving this bout of the plague...

Once your wind is back in your spinnaker, you will have "passed the Horn" and be well on y6our way again....

I am sure Neda is being supportive as well as tolerant

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #815
BluegrassPicker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Wishing you a speedy recovery from MN...
BluegrassPicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #816
LTFD
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Get well soon.

I'm sure I speak for all of the envious lurkers on ADVrider when I say, I'd rather be holed up recovering from a bout of montezuma a couple of months into an epic adventure of a lifetime than have to face my desk for one more Monday morning.

Get well soon. We're all counting on you to keep posting so we can keep living vicariously through your spectacular pics and witty commentary.

Keep Living the dream.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #817
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 633
Not a bad idea to use the pink stuff (Pepto Bismol) at least once or twice a week during your travels (after your current illness is resolved).

Yes, I am a Doctor. Whenever I travel I start the pink stuff (of your choice) a few days prior to travel. The bismuth slows down most bugs that are foreign to your GI tract. It doesn't help after the bug strikes.

Simba

p.s Your RR and photography is fascinating and inspirational. Get better and move on, literally.

found this somewhere on the net for prevention of traveller's diarrhea.

Pepto-Bismol
Taking Pepto-Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate) may reduce your chances of getting travelers' diarrhea by about 65% (compared with 90% efficacy for antibiotics). This is a good prophylactic drug for adult travelers.

How does it work? Medical studies show that Pepto-Bismol actually eliminates harmful bacteria from the stomach. This antibacterial action is due to the bismuth component of the medication. The salicylate in Pepto-Bismol has antisecretory and anti- inflammatory effects on the bowel wall, reducing the output of diarrheal fluid.

Dosage: Two tablets (or 2 oz. of the liquid), 4 times daily. Take with meals and at bedtime. The tablet form of Pepto-Bismol is as effective as the liquid preparation, and the tablets are easier to carry. The downside: taking medication four times a day is very inconvenient for most travelers. Children's dosage: Pepto-Bismol may be used by children older than 3 years. They should use one half the adult dose. For using Pepto-Bismol in a child under age 3, consult your pediatrician.

Note: 2 tablespoons or tablets of Pepto-Bismol have the salicylate content of about one adult aspirin tablet. Pepto-Bismol is most effective when taken with meals to allow the drug to come into immediate contact with the microorganisms in food.

Contraindications: Pepto-Bismol should be avoided by people who (1) are allergic to, or intolerant of, aspirin; (2) have any type of bleeding disorder; (3) are taking an anticoagulant (warfarin, [Coumadin]); or (4) have a history of peptic ulcer disease or gastrointestinal bleeding.

Side Effects: Pepto-Bismol causes blackening of the tongue and stool, but this is not harmful. Overdosage can cause ringing in the ears (tinnitus) due to salicylate toxicity. Don't take aspirin and Pepto-Bismol simultaneously—the risk of salicylate toxicity (tinnitus, easy bruising) will be increased. If you are on a warfarin anticoagulant (e.g., Coumadin), you should not take Pepto-Bismol because the risk of bleeding will be increased.

Check with your doctor about the safety of Pepto-Bismol if you have any underlying condition for which you are taking medication. Pepto-Bismol should not be taken with doxycycline because it can prevent the absorption of the latter. Pepto-Bismol may also inhibit the absorption of other antibiotics but the extent of this interaction has not been well studied.

simbaboy screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 04:32 PM
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #818
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/74.html

Leaving Oaxaca, we are heading further east by the southern coast. The road takes us through some fantastic winding mountain roads and we have a lot of fun throwing the bikes around the tight curves, while constantly vigilant for oncoming trucks that stray into our lanes. The temperature climbs past 30C and the humidity soars. We're having a lot of fun!

Taking in the awesome mountain roads and views

At over 600 kms, this is probably the longest ride we've done in a while, and we arrive in San Cristobal in the dark. Neda has been amazing finding us affordable accommodations, and she zeros in on a hotel not too far from the heart of the historic centre. The town is very pretty, more colonial-style architecture and plenty of cafes and restaurants to while away the day. We've spent quite some time in the Colonial Highlands of Mexico, so we treat San Cristobal as a temporary rest stop as we forge further ahead.

Walking the historic centre of San Cristobal

Colours in Mexico are so vibrant

Reminds me of Tibetan prayer flags in the Himalayas

Dancing in the streets!

Our next stop is in Palenque, a bit further north. Although only a couple hundred kms away, it winds through some fantastic jungle scenery. And it is very hot and humid!

View from the top of one of the mountain roads

Big leafy trees dominate the tropical scenery

Food cart in Palenque

Palenque is not as scenic or touristy as the Colonial Highlands, but the reason we've stopped here for the day is to visit the ruins just outside of town.

Lots of temples scattered throughout the site

In the time of the Mayas, Palenque was one of the largest cities with 6,000 inhabitants, but they abandoned the site in the 1100s because of overcrowding and depletion of resources in the area. Seems like this is quite a common theme throughout human history.

This one is called Temple of the Lost Ark

We liked the Palenque ruins because of the remoteness of the site. Nestled right in the heart of the jungle and surrounded by lush tropical trees, it reminded me of the old Indiana Jones movies. Minus all the vendors selling crafts and trinkets, of course...

Thulsa Doom!

Neda casts an odd shadow

Vendors selling clothing and trinkets

We've visited several ruins now and at every one, there are vendors selling a whistle that when blown, sounds like (or is supposed to sound like) a jaguar. It's a very annoying sound and the vendors use it all the time to catch your attention. I don't know why anyone would want to buy something like this...

Waiting for a giant ball to come crashing down on us while being shot at by poisonous blow darts

Mayan Astronaut

The Mayan culture has really sparked a lot of old childhood memories of TV shows I used to watch. One of them was called Ancient Astronauts, and with such phenomenon like the Nazca Lines, proposed extra-terrestrial involvement with these old civilizations. One of the "proof points" was the cover of the tomb of Pacal, right here in Palenque. Inscribed on the tomb was what looked like an astronaut reclined in the launch position inside a space ship, all the complex instrumentation around him. Stars and constellations surround the tomb and plumes of flames underneath to signify propulsion. Neda is holding a reproduction of that inscription above, and I felt such a wave of nostalgia listening to the vendor recount the tale of the Mayan Astronaut.

No, we didn't buy the parchment...

Temple of Doom

Temple of the Holy Grail

These were Neda's favorite Mayan ruins

Sunlight filters through the jungle
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #819
TomatoCan
Oh my goodness me.

Oddometer: 29
Gene and Neda,
I've been stuck in bed for the past couple of days with The Worst Cold in The World. I've been on a steady diet of ibuprofren, NyQuil and hot tea. But it's been a real treat to have the time to pore over the pages of your adventure.
Hope you're feeling better!
TomatoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #820
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Visit Aqua Azul?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #821
ROAM_650GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Coming to Merida?

Hey Gene,

My wife and I are from Vancouver and renting a 3 bedroom house in Merida until March 31. If you plan to head this way you and Neda are welcome to stay with us for a couple of days. We both ride 2010 F650GS's but unfortunately did not travel down here by bike on this trip, we flew.

You are doing a great job on your trip report and photos, I know it takes a heck of lot of effort. Here is one I started a few years ago and didn't finish:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...a+dirt+virgins

Saludos,

Allen & Renee
ROAM_650GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #822
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Amazing!!
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 AM   #823
DiscRider
DiscRider

Oddometer: 1
I just caught up to present time. Your adventure is a big boost to my spirit while waiting for riding season to begin again here in the northern reaches. Thank you so much for sharing your travel experiences.
DiscRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #824
DreamRiderRG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
..what an adventure!

Safe travels. Great RR. Don't know if you plan to make it down to Peru? If you do..let me know if you have a stop over in Lima. I have a brother who lives there and could probably set you up for a time.
DreamRiderRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #825
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Thanks for all your well-wishes and tips guys. Fully recovered from the flu and we're off and about again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
You have survived tequila, chapulines, sidewalk variations, a gazillion topes, "Si, no hay premium ", mattresses like concrete, cars coming out of nowhere from behind on highways that pass within inches of your left elbow, and temptations to stop and "get a pic of that" moments.....
Sounds like the voice of (very) recent experience! Hope you had a great time in mexico, stomach bug and skin rash notwithstanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM_650GS View Post
My wife and I are from Vancouver and renting a 3 bedroom house in Merida until March 31. If you plan to head this way you and Neda are welcome to stay with us for a couple of days.
Thanks Allen, our blog is a bit behind currently, but we would have loved to take you up on the offer. Enjoy Merida, such a beautiful place to hang out for a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRiderRG View Post
Don't know if you plan to make it down to Peru? If you do..let me know if you have a stop over in Lima.
Yes, Peru! Not sure when we'll be there though, as we are moving very very slowly! I'll PM you when we get close.