Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #121
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 573
For anyone serious about undertaking a "cut the strings" kind of trip, http://www.horizonsunlimited.com is an excellent resource for planning and inspiring.

This thread is pretty relevant to what a lot of you are discussing: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-lifestyle-458
Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #122
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
thanks lightcycle, I forgot to mention the HUBB....but it is an excellent resource for trip planning, life arranging, etc.

Following your trip with great interest!! Awesome RRs and great photos---thanks for letting us tag along!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #123
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
This thread is pretty relevant to what a lot of you are discussing: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-lifestyle-458
Great!! Thanx for the linky!!

GodSpeed!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #124
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Imho..

I think flexability and cutting the ties to material possesions is key.

In.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #125
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/10.html

The ride back to Ontario from New Brunswick was a quick affair on the highway and was quite eventful, thanks to a broken master link on Khanh's VFR's chain. We put together two CAA calls to tow us from Perth, and then from Trenton back to Toronto, arriving at an ungodly 2AM. Alas, our test trip to the East Coast was over, now to prepare for the real thing!

123,456 kms on the old girl. Not a bad way to start a trip...

After a hectic couple of days doing a last minute cleanup of our condo, we handed over the keys to the new owner. This was the last major tie to our old life and it felt like such a burden off of our shoulders, even if it meant we were now technically homeless. Thankfully, my parents put us up at their place while we sorted out the last of our affairs. We moved all our mail, bills, and registered our drivers licenses and insurance to their address. Two decades later, and I was back living in my parents basement! :)

Giant Nickel in Sudbury

We left Toronto on July 15th, 2012 after saying sad goodbyes to our good friends and family, and happily severing our relationship with Rogers, Bell, Toronto Hydro and the Municipal Property Tax Collection Agency. This was it, for real now! As we headed north on the overly familiar Highway 400, it still didn't feel real. Still felt like we were on a day ride...

We stopped in Sudbury to take our obligatory picture in front of the giant nickel outside of the Science North building. We must have 3 different shots of this from 3 different road trips. It was only once we traveled north of Sudbury that we felt like a dog that's broken it's leash, riding into new territory!

Neda gazes at a lily pond on 108, just outside of Elliott Lake, north of Hwy 17

Part of our resolution for this trip is to take all the backroads that we never had time to explore because we had to make a destination for the night. We did learn some lessons from our trip out east though, which was that although we had the luxury of time, we traded for that at the expense of budget. So all the grocery shopping, preparing food, washing dishes and cutlery, setting up/tearing down of tents, etc. actually cost us a bit more time than if we had just checked into a motel at the end of the riding day and ordered a pizza or ate at a restaurant.

Giant Muskoka chair outside the Pinecrest campsite in Thessalon. My theory is that little towns have to compensate by putting up oversize roadside attractions...

We stayed at a great campsite along the northern shores of Lake Huron, the beach was a few feet away from our tent and we relaxed on the shores for the evening and fell asleep to the sound of waves gently lapping the sandy beach. This camping thing is pretty new to me and I'm amazed that folks will park a camper for the summer at a campsite and make it their seasonal cottage! Lots of campers with patio stones, lawn gnomes and furniture outside!

Our campsite at Thessalon

Contemplating the nomadic existence

I relax, Neda hikes. This is a common theme in our trips together. :)

The next morning, we venture out onto new roads. We're bypassing the very scenic Hwy 17 from Sault-Ste Marie to Wawa, since we've done it already, but I'd recommend it to anyone who's riding in the area - the sweeping turns and numerous elevation changes are made all the more spectacular by the sight of Lake Superior off the west side of the road.

Hwy 129 Ontario

Instead, we're now riding Hwy 129 north from Thessalon. It's often called Ontario's Tail of the Dragon, because Tennessee 129 shares the same number. It's nowhere as tight and twisty, but the first 60 kms have amazing fast sweepers, great pavement and lots of 270 degree turns that have you leant over for what feels like an eternity! What a riot! The rest of the road is your normal Northern Ontario scenic route.

Northern section of Hwy 129

As we reach Wawa in the afternoon, a light drizzle begins and darker clouds are approaching us. This is the first rainfall we've had on this trip. And it looks like we might have to put up a tent in the coming downpour...

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:24 AM Reason: Trying to be a good Canadian...
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #126
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Thank you for the RR of your journey. My dad and I just returned from six weeks in Canada and Alaska. Your pictures are making me an even bigger fan of Canada, a feat I didn't think possible. You've convinced me our next long trip needs to take in NS, PEI and NB. I now long to share a six pack with my pops as we watch the tide engulf the flowerpots at the Bay of Fundy!

Not only are your photos top notch, but I truly enjoy your writing style. It's excellent.

If you and Neda make it to Denver, you've a garage and warm place to stay.
theofam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #127
Scootard
Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
obligatory picture in front of the giant Loonie outside of the Science North building.]I relax, Neda hikes. This is a common theme in our trips together. :)[/size][/b]
Gene Gene Gene, you call yourself a Canadian and 3 times you've photographed the Sudbury Nickle and still call it a loonie. For Shame......hahah

The picture of Neda walking the shore is interesting. Is she walking that pet rock? or is it merely tagging along?

Congratulations on ties cut, and an adventure well and truly begun
Old 08-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #128
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Gene Gene Gene, you call yourself a Canadian and 3 times you've photographed the Sudbury Nickle and still call it a loonie. For Shame......hahah
OMG! So glad you caught that!

I guess ever since we've been living on a budget, I've been trying to stretch our nickels to loonies. Consciously and sub-consciously! :) Did you hear we're decommissioning our penny?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #129
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:
Lessee if I've got this correct.....

You've quit your jobs, sold your condo, and are heading off to tour the "MotherShip",

these are the bikes your riding,

and this is your 'Traveling Companion'???

All I kin say is "Well Done, Son....WELL DONE!!!!"

GodSpeed kids!!

ps...do drop a line if you're headed down the Oregon Coastline!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com

Patrick46 screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 10:32 AM Reason: fine tuning
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #130
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
humm, I will
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #131
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
Very cool report!

me hubby...

"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #132
Scootard
Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer: 240
The Sudbury Nickel

Stretching nickels into loonies is a fun pastime. Don't forget thrift stores along the way if you've forgotten something. We needed a frying pan and got one with spatula for $3. Sounds like the right price to me.

Yeah, I heard the penny is soon to be no more. It costs more to make them, $1. worth of pennies is probably worth more in copper than $1., and nobody uses them. Ciao $.01.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #133
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Update from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/11.html

We reached Wawa just as the worst of the downpour started, and we ducked into the local Subway for a late lunch and to see if the deluge would let up before figuring out what to do for the evening. We really didn't want to be putting up a tent in the rain and the thought was, do we really want to be ducking into motels everytime it rains? That's the quickest way to burn through the travel dollars...

As we mulled over our predicament, in strode a rainsuit-clad motorcycle warrior. He cased the joint and made a bee-line towards us.

"Who's the ADV Rider?"

Ah, my sticker on the back of my sidecase...

Jamie Z, fellow ADV Rider from Memphis, TN, chatted with us for a while. He was doing a road trip around the Great Lakes, headed to MN to visit some family. We told him of the great camp sites we had visited in the past few weeks and how cheap they were (compared to the hotels we had been staying with on our other trips). Little did I know we were talking to the author of Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way"! We got a crash course in how to sleep for free, eat on the cheap and different ways to stretch those travel $$$. Jamie told us how he stayed in a luxury cabin the night before and then got a seaplane ride around the lake this morning. ALL FOR FREE! Our meeting could not have come at a better time, at the beginning of this trip.

So, in the spirit of budget travel, and because Jamie seemed like a stand-up guy who wasn't going to make off with our iPhones, GPSs and my favorite pair of Crocs in the middle of the night, we offered to split the cost of a motel with him, seeing as how the rain just wouldn't let up.

Big Goose statue in Wawa. Remember my theory about small towns?

As you can tell from this picture taken the morning after, we were still friends (after I confirmed that my crocs were still in my tankbag). We've taken a few pictures of the goose over the years and just recently, rust spots have appeared on the wings and body. The town is trying to raise funds to repair the statue. Poor goose! Jamie rode with us for a little ways and dropped back to do some sightseeing on his own, we would meet up with him again later on in the day.

Chain maintenance. For once, it's nice to be shafted!

Somewhere along the way we joined a motorcycle gang. And we all rode across bridges together.It was totally badass...

We took our time riding across the top of Lake Superior on Hwy 17, it was a clear, cool day, great for riding and we stopped to camp at a few provincial parks along the way. It was a leisurely way to say goodbye to our home province.

At a gas stop, Neda makes a friend

This is Cabo, the Mini Parrot. We met a couple (from Montana I think) traveling across Canada by bike as well, and this was their traveling companion! Cabo just started speaking. His first word was, "Noodle!"

On the right hand side panel you'll see Cabo's pillion seat, a tiny box where he can chillax.

Bikes wait impatiently while we take a nap in Nipigon

At Sleeping Giant provincial park, we played beach volleyball with Savannah and the staff of the park. Savannah and her mother Jill were from Winnipeg, and Jill told us to visit Rushing River Provincial Park. So we did! Did I mention we are doing everything the locals recommend?

Chillin in the waters at Rushing River Provincial Park

Our campsite at Rushing River

We got off the main Hwy 17 and took a scenic bypass called Mom's Highway. Neda has this theory that if you name a road, motorcycle and car enthusiasts will come, ie. Tail of the Dragon, Cabot Trail, Sea-to-Sky Highway, etc. Mom's Highway was okay, bit more scenic than Hwy 17, but I'm sure if they called it Jo Momma's Highway, it would have kicked more ass...

Terry Fox Memorial Statue in Thunder Bay overlooking the shores of Lake Superior.

As we approached Thunder Bay, we rode up to the Terry Fox Memorial. One of my first memories of Canada was watching Terry Fox run across the country on TV. I was only 9 years old at the time, and it was only later that I fully understood the magnitude of running a marathon everyday for 143 days straight after losing a leg to cancer. I don't get overly emotional, but my memories of his run, coupled with both of our families history with cancer made this a very special side-trip.

Kakabeka Falls just outside of Kenora

Kenora is one of the last towns on the TransCanada Highway before we leave Ontario. I have to admit, part of the reason why we visited Kakabeka Falls was because of the name. Our new euphemism on this trip for taking a dump is now "I have to visit Kakabeka Falls". I can tell by the look on Neda's face that she's visited Kakabeka Falls. I mean, it's right there in the background, is how I know...

You know those stickers with the stick figure family that you see on the back of minivan windows? Neda got a couple of bike stickers for us. It's bad enough the Harley guys don't wave at me, now they openly mock us... :(

I've lived in Ontario for the last 31 years of my life, and it only took 5 days for us to make it out of the province. I'll miss the place, but most of all the family and friends that we're leaving behind.

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:25 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #134
Wingboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I'll follow this here on ADV rather than GTAM.Keep the reports coming you two. Ric
Wingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #135
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
Maybe one of these days, I will be able to do what you guys are doing.....

just unplugg and get out of dodge......

way to go!
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote