Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #16
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
I ride K75s a fair bit and have others. No it does not corner like a new bike or have arm ripping HP but it is smooth and will get your ass down some long roads for days on end. I have run faster bikes and i have a bigger more comfortable bike but nothing puts a smile on my face like a K75s which is exactly the reason i ride.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
What?
curmudgeon

Oddometer: 354
"less than modern sportbike performance"

I feel fine on my 1987 K-75. Mine isn't slow. I have to get it up around 5k rpm before it comes alive. My Harley is close to hitting the rev limiter when this one is just getting going.

But to tell you the truth, I have never been on a modern sports bike. I don't try to pick up 20 year olds either.
What? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Love yur posts! Thanks everyone! I agree with most of what's been posted. I think my K75 is plenty fast enough...perhaps not off the line, but what the hell. Plenty fast for the long haul!
390beretta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #19
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Only two of the many bikes I've owned were advertised at over 100hp. I'm perfectly happy with a road bike that is anywhere from 50 to 100. Decent handling and a torquey v-twin is what makes me smile. 75-80hp is just fine with me.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Again, thanks to everyone for your replies! I had a metzler "sport demon" put on the rear yesterday (got 10,000 miles from the last one) so thought why not? It appears that my clutch cable is about done in, at least that's what the mechanic (who I absolutely trust to the hilt) said after he took my bike out yesterday after installing the rear tire. (If anyone here is ever in Phoenix and need work done, go to Motoghost.com, They are the absolute best! Don't sell bikes, do sell some gear but all they do is work on BMWs and you will not fine a more knowledgeable bunch of guys (3 actually) Omar, the owner, Matt, the parts guy (he does a lot more than that) Dan, the mechanic. The are all absolutely "superlative" with regard to their knowledge of BMWs and you can absolutely trust their work!!) OK, enough of that!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #21
390beretta OP
Studly Adventurer

Yep, it's kind of funny. The triples seem so damn...smoothe, compared to everything else. Honest to Dog, sometimes it feels as though my K75 is an "electric motorcycle" rather than internal combustion!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
I was riding my R65 around the city yesterday ( I don't live in a city anymore, and seldom ride the bike there) and it was very hard to keep to the 50kph (30mph) speed limit. I didn't care about speed limits 30 years ago and thrashed my bikes everywhere in the city, often hitting 100mph in city commuting traffic. The old R65 is just too powerful for the city.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
nicholastanguma
nicholastanguma

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
How do you feel about this "less than modern sportbike performance"?

This is coming from someone who owns nothing but old school rides, moto and auto alike, so I'm admitting up front that I'm totally biased.

"Low" horsepower is part of the vintage experience. I'll throw irrational amounts of money at old engines, transmissions, suspensions, brakes, and electrics to get them performing at the top of their games, but I personally don't care one bit if a modern and less expensive moto or auto will still outperform in every area. I don't care if they're more comfortable, or quiet, or "practical."

Modern and shiny and disposable simply has no proper soul.

Engine swaps are cool. Old CJ7 with a 4.3 Vortec v6? Absolutely, but keep it carbureted. Old FJ40 with a 1HZ diesel 6? Keep it mechanically injected. Old rail buggy waiting for a new heart? Give 'er an aircooled VW flat four. These same principles are instantly applicable to every motorcycle.

Do Urals break a lot? Yup. Still radder than a GSXR? Undeniably.

BTW, I'm only 32 years old. Retro and vintage are very niche among my age group (aside from hipsters, who are too cool for this thread anyway). For those of you older gents that lament how my generation and younger are all digitally brainwashed mass produced items from a politically correct nanny state culture, please take some solace that not every single one of us actually is.

nicholastanguma screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 02:46 PM
nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #24
nicholastanguma
nicholastanguma

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post

I get really annoyed by people who have no experience with old bikes showing their ignorance about them when they question why anyone would ride one of these "slow, poor handling, unreliable old POS's".

+1. When this kind of thing happens I politely smile and think to myself, "Well, Jesus loves everyone. Even plastic people."

nicholastanguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #25
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,920
New sportsbikes DO have a tendency to be a bit boring.
In the early 80s riding a CB/4 at 100mph through a series of bumpy bends required concentration, focus, a bit of muscle, and staring as far ahead as possible.........
Doing that speed on a sportbike (I've tried 996 Duc, 2006 ZX10R, 2011 GSXR1, etc) is like riding to the shops on my scoot. There is no shimmy, no tyre slip, no slight flex as you attempt to steer just a little bit more, no "somewhat disconcerting" wobble if you try to change anything in line or speed.
I have a 250 scoot for everything nowadays, a quick shopping bag or two, highway commuting at a steady 110kph, bumps, freeways, gravel with corrugations, the lot.
I also have a Vmax for when I start to forget what motorcycling used to be like, and how much fun it can be.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #26
RustyStuff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Seeing how I have been pulled over for going 5 over on my GS450, I don't want to know what I would do with a bike that can do 120 without breaking a sweat.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #27
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilboiler View Post
I remember riding a 1981 GSX1100 and a 2005 ZX10R on the same day and up to about 115 mph the "feeling" of speed and acceleration was pretty similar. Above that speed the newer bike felt faster.

Older bikes are fast enough for the Real World :)
Old bikes can still be fast bikes. Especially big bore Suzuki GS's . In a top gear roll on from 65 I walked away from a buddy on his new Street Triple R, me on my old Suzuki 850. I think he was more surprised when I dusted him on the twisty back roads before that though. New springs, shocks, and sticky tires will make an old bike surprisingly good, and a BLAST to ride.

For comparison sake I rode a friends FZ1 track bike, and it was like straddling a cruise missile. Into triple digits by the end of 2nd gear easily. It was incredibly fast.

But for the real world riding environment my old bike still has enough horsepower. Do wish I had more modern brakes though.
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote