User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
1st impressions, new 990 (not R)

I like the bike, knew I would because I rode a friend's identical bike before I bought this one.

I have a dirt background (since 1968) and I like the way it feels like a big dirt bike. I previously had a V-Strom 1000 that wasn't dirt bike enough, and a F650GS that never excited me. The F650 did everything I needed it to do but I don't ride due to need, I ride due to WANT. I also have a DRZ, armored up & geared down, for actual woods trails.

I like the way I sit ON the 990 rather than IN the F650.

The only oddity I've noticed in the 990 is that there isn't much steering lock. So far only a factor in parking lot maneuvers.

I am about to go in and look for the ACC2 lead that I read about in the Accessories FAQ, for my GPS. Before I waste time doing something dumb, is access just WYSIWYG through the front? Take off the windshield and what else to get in there?

Due to medical issues this may be my last riding season for a bike of this size & power, but I'm trying to finish strong.

Thanks.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
alkiviadis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
I like the bike, knew I would because I rode a friend's identical bike before I bought this one.

I have a dirt background (since 1968) and I like the way it feels like a big dirt bike. I previously had a V-Strom 1000 that wasn't dirt bike enough, and a F650GS that never excited me. The F650 did everything I needed it to do but I don't ride due to need, I ride due to WANT. I also have a DRZ, armored up & geared down, for actual woods trails.

The only oddity I've noticed in the 990 is that there isn't much steering lock. So far only a factor in parking lot maneuvers.

I am about to go in and look for the ACC2 lead that I read about in the Accessories FAQ, for my GPS. Before I waste time doing something dumb, is access just WYSIWYG through the front? Take off the windshield and what else to get in there?

Due to medical issues this may be my last riding season for a bike of this size & power, but I'm trying to finish strong.

Thanks.
You are hero still riding..The bike is just perfect...I hope you get the most of it and that you really enjoy every minute...
Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Check the steering stop adjustments... Some of them are mis-adjusted either at the factory or dealer not sure which. It doesn't have the lock of a real dirt bike, but I routinely do 12ft full lock turns.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Massabusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

Thanks.
I think the easiest way to get to the connectors is to pull the left upper panel, just undo the connector for the directional and the screws...
That should give you enough access, no need to pull the windshield to remove the side panel, it just kind of "tucks" under at the shield...
Mines a 950 so It might be different...

Glad to hear you got the big KTM Vince!
Had a blast at the BTR Big Bike Ride this May, I think that was the largest number of KTM 950-990 I have ever seen together!
Massabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massabusa View Post
I think the easiest way to get to the connectors is to pull the left upper panel [...]
Make that right and you're much closer with the 990. Might be difficult to locate at first, but it's there - somewhere..
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa View Post
Make that right and you're much closer with the 990. Might be difficult to locate at first, but it's there - somewhere..
Seems like that would be easier than running it direct from the battery, which is what I've done (with a fused line) on every other bike I've had a GPS on.

But none of those other bikes had the "chin battery" (have not looked in there yet). Are there any issues with the battery being in the water during a water crossing? (Yeah, in the old days I used to route the BBA through a looonnnggg water crossing....)
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Seems like that would be easier than running it direct from the battery[...]
I see no point running it direct from the battery, plus it's behind the key.. As for water crossings, the air intake is the sole limiting factor. AFAIK.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Humm, mine was behind the left (11' 990) upper panel. Looks like the final location may depend on the mood of the prep tech?

Oh and to the OP, you're doing it right man, fight/ride until you can't any more!
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Clarkracin722
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Just found the one on my 08 990 last night. It was tucked right under the accessory plug on the right side. There where leads there for ACC1 and 2. They are actually labeled too. Hope this helps
Clarkracin722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
I see no point running it direct from the battery, plus it's behind the key.. As for water crossings, the air intake is the sole limiting factor. AFAIK.
Yep, I've seen some 950 submarines just keep it out of the intake and you should be fine. I personally would keep it below the radiator but I don't like fixing drowned bikes with spark plugs that are hard to get to.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Masa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Humm, mine was behind the left (11' 990) upper panel. Looks like the final location may depend on the mood of the prep tech?
Maybe you're right.. Mine was on the right side tho ('11), labeled as ACC2, as mentioned.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
tunp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Great to have you here, you'll love it.
My battery has been under water many times, no issues.
Also my acc2 was under the left front side panel (as you sit on bike) Basically right behind the 12v plug in
tunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:

Thanks.
Removing the windshield might be the best way, and they are there labeled and all.

As for your condition, my dad died 4 years ago by cancer and i lived through it. But your attitud towards it is amazing. I hope everything works the best way it can be for you, if you stop doing what you like it'll be worse.
No best bike to drive and have fun as the KTM, she'll take care of you!

Best of luck
GZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
viverrid OP
not dead yet

I'll look for the ACC2 leads tomorrow.

P.S. - Zumo is 12V (unlike Nuvi that needs stepdown in voltage)? Asking cuz maybe I don't need the inline fuse that's in the Zumo lead I was going to re-use, as the ACC2 circuiy is already fused? (I've heard about people frying Nuvis by wiring them in "direct" without the little converter in the cord.)

viverrid screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 05:50 PM
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
SauceSquatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:

Thanks.
Congrats on the new 990 and major props for staying in the game.

I would say for the steering you should absolutely get a 13mm socket and bring your steering stop bolts in (on the triple trees) until you have the maneuverability your looking for, I brought them in as far as it would go until I was just shy of hitting the tank. From the dealership they are out pretty far and it's hard to maneuver tight turns. Also, getting a riser on the bars really helps, I know I feel like I have more control after putting them on.
SauceSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote