Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,628
Pff, just admit it sucks to have to stand up, unhook the seat, fill , close, sit.

Most times when I refuel I don't get off, and while most wil commute, many will load this sucker down and go cross country, unhooking a bag is doable yes, but a pain in the ass.

Not a deal breaker, but very
Old 08-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Pff, just admit it sucks to have to stand up, unhook the seat, fill , close, sit.

Most times when I refuel I don't get off, and while most wil commute, many will load this sucker down and go cross country, unhooking a bag is doable yes, but a pain in the ass.

I agree, it's a pain, but not a deal breaker. I just wanted to set the record straight.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #18
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogjaw View Post
Had the opportunity to use these two bikes back to back today; the Versys felt much more muscular, had a better saddle, never approached redline even while hammering, RPM 5K at 80, very impressive. The Honda was smoother, but I hit the rev limiter leaving the parking lot, and I don't usually have any problems short shifting. The braking was actually a little better than the VS, despite having one disc up front, but the seat needs help, tended to push me up on the tank and felt thin in the padding department. The NT has a plastic tank, can't use a magnetic bag, but probably don't need one with the massive storage area. I thought there would be a more pronounced difference with the NT carrying its fuel under the saddle, but both bikes felt the same despite both carrying full loads of petrol. Even though I'm a huge fan of Honda fit and finish,(owned and loved a NH 750 and a 919), the Versys felt more like a real motorcycle, yMMV. I could see either bike tackling dirt roads with a set of 705, though the plastic skid plate on the NC was a little less substantial as well.
Sounds like a good mini-comparo to me.
The Kawasaki feels heavier to me, even if it isn't.

And Honda brakes are a lot better.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #19
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
ummm, to raise the rear seat on the NC you just turn the key ccw and it unlatches, then just lift ti up. It's hinged, closes with a nice click. Nothing difficult about it.
The "issue" people are making of it is beyond me too.
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,772
The filler cap issue didn't even occur to me as a deal breaker, as I spend more time maneuvering around my tank bag to feed the DR... Thinking back on the ride, the main issue that jumped out at me concerning the NC was how quickly I hit the rev limiter; I don't think I ride that aggressively, especially on a demo bike with cold tires. After looking at the torque charts, I expected it to throttle more like a PC800, and was surprised that it revved up as quickly as it did; one caveat is that I had just gotten off of the Versys, which didn't approach redline. In the Honda's defense, it was taching 4k at 80 mph in 6th, where the Versys was just a little under 5k; neither bike seemed stressed whatsoever at highway speeds.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
Cortez
BAZINGA!

I hit the limiter in the first 20 seconds too.

No biggie, tho, I "adjusted" to it very fast, once you figure out how much
torque the bike has at low revs.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 08-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #22
Sniff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Interesting thread - I appreciate the thoughts all around. I haven't ridden either bike, though the Versys has been on my mind for a while. The NC's tank seemed small when I looked at the stats - isn't it less than 4 gallons? I was surprised at that since it's being billed as an ADV bike...
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
RobK61
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Interesting thread - I appreciate the thoughts all around. I haven't ridden either bike, though the Versys has been on my mind for a while. The NC's tank seemed small when I looked at the stats - isn't it less than 4 gallons? I was surprised at that since it's being billed as an ADV bike...

3.7 gal. tank is good, I have averaged 74.8 with 3 tanks including the break-in.
RobK61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #24
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
When you take the MPG figures into account, it's better then most.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
Sniff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobK61 View Post
3.7 gal. tank is good, I have averaged 74.8 with 3 tanks including the break-in.
Wow - glad I asked. I had no idea the mileage figures were that good...
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #26
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post

Not that there is a "right" way or a "wrong" way to refuel but, I always get off the bike to refeul. I'm very anal about spilling gas on the tank (even a single drop) & I just feel more in control when standing as I pump. On long distance rides I look for any excuse to get off & stretch my legs.

Lifting the seat to refill is only a minor draw back for me & I'm not sure if I'd even go so far as to consider it a "strike". I've never had a bike with an under seat tank & the advantage of a lower center of gravity could even be considered a plus. Many are saying the 700 X handles like a 690 Duke.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #27
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I've never had a bike with an under seat tank & the advantage of a lower center of gravity could even be considered a plus. Many are saying the 700 X handles like a 690 Duke.
I said that too.
The 650R (basically a versys) feels 100lbs heavier compared to the NC700X!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #28
dogjaw OP
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,772
I thought I would feel a difference in where the two bike carried their weight, but once I was underway, it didn't seem to matter.