User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
nvdesertrat OP
Nevada Desert Rat

Oddometer: 207
BMW 1600GTL Thread

Just picked up my new BMW 1600 GTL what a AWSOME Ride thought I would start a thread on this bike.

2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
nvdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
RobH
Don't tase me bro

Oddometer: 5,290
Looks sweet dude. Congrats.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
have you joined the K1600 forum? If not you should. there are many inmates who are also members over there, and lots of good knowledge about these rides.

Yours looks just like mine. They are wonderful bikes. enjoy

pete
Wdwrkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #4
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I haven't had the chance to ride one yet. I did sit on one last week and the foot pegs were right where I placed my feet on the ground so they hit me in calves. Do they do that to you also? I sat on the RT and didn't have that issue. Not a deal breaker, but I found it annoying.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
nvdesertrat OP
Nevada Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdwrkr View Post
have you joined the K1600 forum? If not you should. there are many inmates who are also members over there, and lots of good knowledge about these rides.

Yours looks just like mine. They are wonderful bikes. enjoy

pete
Thanks for the Info I did not know this forum existed.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I have the same bike as you. Have around 4K on it. Great bike, though it did take me a bit to warm up to it. My wife wasn't wild about the passenger experience until we added a small pillow. Now she loves it.

Just had my first problem with it though. Tuesday I was heading down to DC when I raised the windshield a little, it wouldn't lower. Kept raising it, still no luck. Now it's stuck in high position. I can't ride it like that, especially in the heat. Fortunately it was only about 10 miles into the trip so I turned around and put everything in my GSA and took it. According to the dealer (Max) they're seeing a number of bikes with that issue (some kind of switch).

Bottom line if your windshield doesn't lower, don't raise it more, unless you want it to stay that way.

Another thing that has come up a lot is the hot left foot issue. I find it not to be a problem. I ride in tennis shoes half the time. It does get hot, but every bike I've ridden has it's hot zones. I think that's the only one I've found on the GTL. I find the seat gets much hotter on the GSA, also on my wife's Bonneville and the whole engine on the Road King. The GTL is actually my go-to bike for trips to the grocery store when it's over 85F.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I haven't had the chance to ride one yet. I did sit on one last week and the foot pegs were right where I placed my feet on the ground so they hit me in calves. Do they do that to you also? I sat on the RT and didn't have that issue. Not a deal breaker, but I found it annoying.
I did find it to be a small issue, but once you get used to the bike you won't notice it.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #8
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 536
I rented one in Vermont (from motovermont.com) for our North East US trip and I came mighty impressed with this bike. (Ride report on my website: http://www.rideforpassion.com/touring_usa2012_00.html )
The GTL is probably one of the finest bikes I have ever ridden. Inspite of its Luxury tourer tag, I consider it a luxo-sport-tourer thats really fast! I was particularly impressed with its handling on tight, twisty backroads especially fully loaded. There is so much of torque, you can use it like an automatic transmission car! Some complain about the seat but personally for me, I found this the first good stock seat ever from Bavaria. Wife was also happy with the pillion seat and unlike some complaints I have seen on the backrest on topcase hindering the pillion's elbow, she did not have any issues (probably being small built).

My only gripe on the GTL - The Topcase should have had a simple unloading mechanism like the 1200RT (twist key, pull lever and remove the case) instead of twisting thru all your belongings the round lever at the bottom inside the case and then opening the seat to disconnect the cable connector from under the seat etc. Definitely not suitable for daily use on multi week rides- So you have to use a topcase liner. Also for me at 6ft tall, the ergonomics are fine, but the knee bend angle is a little more acute than on a 1200RT due to the lower seat on the GTL. For the pillion- the heated seat for pillion on Position -1 is almost useless, so you have to keep it on high for tangible results when it gets really cold.

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Gtl

Dont get caught up on the K1600 forum with some of the negativity. I enjoy the forum for the mostly good information. Ive had my GTL for about a year and 11,500 miles now and love the bike. Took it to Colorrado this year and it was nearly flawless. Got home and had to have the waterpump changed. It was weeping fluid from the weep hole on the bottom of the unit. Took about an hour to change oout under warrenty.
Two up it has been great. Ive had it on the track at Barber Motorsports, what a hoot. Its been on the Dragon and on the interstate. Works really well on either.
Buy the engine guards. If you just happen to drop it on the right side in a wind storm it will cost you or your insurance company about $3900 if you have them, much more if you dont.
I have a vstream windshield and I like it better than the stock windshield, so does my passenger. Since the muffler got scratched up in the fall I am replacing them with the Averapics (spelling???). $800 difference and Ive never had an afermarket exhaust so I thought Id give it a go.

Anyway the bike is great and I expect to keep it a long time. Hope you enjoy yours.

Bud
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Nice bike! (although the blue ones are better :) )

Best bike I've ever ridden. 13k miles in less than my first full year of riding and still making excuses to ride.
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
nvdesertrat OP
Nevada Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
Nice bike! (although the blue ones are better :) )

Best bike I've ever ridden. 13k miles in less than my first full year of riding and still making excuses to ride.
LOL - I picked the silver one to match my 1200GSA. Fell free to post pics of your K1600
Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #12
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
black 2013 bmw 1600gt

i love the bmw k1600gt or gtl . your pic is beautiful . what is the real difference between the gt and gtl ? a big ugly trunk box ? anyway - i prefer black bikes . not silver bikes or blue bikes . i think blue and silver is great for those who want them but bmw is finally listening to the many complaints that i have posted around the internet and they will be releasing a new black 2013 bmw k1600gt in january . i just prefer black bikes . here is a link to the black 2013 bmw k1600gt pic on motorcycle.com :

3013 k1600gt

bmw calls this color graphite instead of black so they can charge customers like me 20 grand plus to ride one home . unfortunately i only have twenty dollars but my astrologer says that i will be hitting the powerball jackpot real soon . btw if i don't hit the powerball could the members of this forum contribute to my 2013 k1600gt purchase fund ? every forum member who sends me twenty dollars or more will receive a complementary signed picture ( suitable for framing ) of me sitting on my new black ( graphite ) 2013 k1600gt . thanks guys .

doggrell3000
new york ny
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #13
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 756
The black bike guy is back, holy shit.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
bikeama
n00b

Oddometer: 6
You will love the K1600GTL. I have the GT. Yes there is some negative on the K1600 site.
You may want to look at these other sites.
http://www.k6gtl.com/
http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=230
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146
http://www.bmw-k.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=50

Bill in STockton
Ride report picking up the K1600GT
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Ive had my K1600GT since August of last year, and now have a bit over 25,000 miles on it. That milage includes a 7500 mile trip around the northern US and a bit of Canada. The bike is awesome, and made that trip with no issues at all. It has had a few minor issues (none during that trip), like some of those mentioned in the various forums, but I've never been concerned about getting where I want to go. I also have a 2010 R1200GS, which I love, but to tell the truth. it has hardly been used since I got the GT. The GT is the best bike I've ever had, and it's hard to imagine ever finding a bike I like better.

I'm curious. Does anybody have a K16 with more than 25K miles, or am I the only one so far?
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote