ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,126
Here is an older thread on the subject and somewhere there is a picture of a GS upside down on the steps and another story about a guy who had to call a 4x4 crew to come and get his GS.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610433

Here is another older thread with Uli and others contributing which has the story about the 4x4 rescue of a GS and other good comments.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=332503&page=5

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 02:38 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Just go slow.. the nasty bit is only 100 yards long. If you are worried about it.. an easy way to do it is turn your bike off.. keep both feet on the ground then use the clutch as a backward brake as you go down each step.
Have a hoot!

But I seem to remember something about 'pooping your pants'. Was that above the steps?
Old 08-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,179

The question is why? If you have never been to the area, ride Ophir and Imogene on that side if the street and then go for Engineer/Cinnamon. You will see and experience soooo much more!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
There is so much good riding in that area..there is no reason to feel any need to do Black Bear....try Imogene, Corkscrew, Engineer , etc before you try Black Bear and you will know if you should try Black Bear....
Old 08-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,720
IF you are comfortable on the GS then take it on Black Bear. Nothing on Black Bear is that bad. Just a short section of head game built up on sites like this.

Have fun. It is a stunning view of Telluride and will be the highlight of your trip.

Here are some other pictures:

toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
tcourdin OP
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

The question is why? If you have never been to the area, ride Ophir and Imogene on that side if the street and then go for Engineer/Cinnamon. You will see and experience soooo much more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
There is so much good riding in that area..there is no reason to feel any need to do Black Bear....try Imogene, Corkscrew, Engineer , etc before you try Black Bear and you will know if you should try Black Bear....
Thanks guys, yes we plan to do all of those first. I'll hit them and see how it goes, if I'm still feeling frisky maybe we will try BB. I'm debating on riding the DR650, but it's nowhere near as fun on the slab as the GS, and the ride back to Arkansas would suck on the sixfiddy.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #22
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
But I seem to remember something about 'pooping your pants'. Was that above the steps?
Nothing to do with the ride.. the ride is easy.
Wanting to poop my pants has to do with my fear of heights!

This thread is a good example of the variety of definitions of adventure and what it means to different people.
One man's "Why?" is another man's "Why Not!"
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,070
Added food for thought...

The Prelude

Crux (Terrible pic..I was a little pre-occupied to even get a good shot of the Steps)

Scenery below the Crux

The Aftermath - Carnage

The Response..

Have fun and be smart.
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Nothing to do with the ride.. the ride is easy.
Wanting to poop my pants has to do with my fear of heights!

This thread is a good example of the variety of definitions of adventure and what it means to different people.
Well heck, maybe I will ride it sometime. I thought that if the mighty Geek wanted to poop his pants at the top of the steps then I wanted no part of it. Course I have to ride twoup so that might be the place for both of us to poop our pants. Or one walk and one poop, or some other combination.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,824
Last time we rode it, there was an old guy (70ish) riding BB and Imogene 2 up on a KLR wearing flipflops and shorts. They looked like he was headed to the store for milk. We just shook our heads thinking this is gong to be good.

The old dude rode both passes like it was nobody's business, he wasn't going fast but he wasn't struggling at all.

Just goes to show, what's difficult for many of us is easly done on a KLR
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #26
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Last time we rode it, there was an old guy (70ish) riding BB and Imogene 2 up on a KLR wearing flipflops and shorts. They looked like he was headed to the store for milk. We just shook our heads thinking this is gong to be good.

The old dude rode both passes like it was nobody's business, he wasn't going fast but he wasn't struggling at all.

Just goes to show, what's difficult for many of us is easly done on a KLR
IT is that he was wearing shorts. You do not want to fall if you are wearing shorts. And you can't paddle along if you are wearing flip flops.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #27
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,155
Because my bike is tall, paddling makes me instantly feel as if I'm going to fall over. And on occasion, I do. So it seems as if it's easier to hang my ass off the back, be in first and just try to go down as gently as possible. I'm not sure if this approach will work on Black Bear Pass, but I'm developing a mental complex about it because of all the comments on how dreadful it is.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #28
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
...but I'm developing a mental complex about it because of all the comments on how dreadful it is.
In my short time lurking here and learning more about this hobby, I've been able to summarize the huge amount of conflicting opinions presented on this forum into these three variables:

1) Size and physical fitness of the rider
2) Skill of the rider
3) Type of motorcycle

And in cases like this thread, there is another:

4) Balls

Mixtures of these variables effect everyone's opinion and experience on off-road trails.

Again, a n00b here but this is my observation.

John
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,760
Yep. But I am one of those who feels it is always smarter to have a tool that fits the job.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #30
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,179
Quote:

I couldn't agree more, what I am saying is there is so much more up there and it only makes sense for a group that is new to the area to see what else there is and to test yours and the groups abilities before you head over what is one of the sketchiest roads up there, albeit one of the most beautiful.

I would never recommend that anyone take a big bike down that unless they were a very good rider and/or were comfortable with something like Imogene. If you are having trouble on Imogene (like taking more than a couple of hours to do it) Black Bear will still be there when you are ready.

It is funny that the "Black Bear big bike question" comes up at least twice a year around here and the same discussion always breaks out.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote