Oddometer: 6,751
Anyone tried running their DD hard for a while and then checking the MPG
figures? I've spoken with someone who got 30MPG riding the bike in the
dirt which makes for a lovely range.

He swapped to a 990ADV and is happy with 34-38MPG in the same
conditions.

The test bike I tried was averaging 43MPG which I figured was ok since no one
was riding it slow..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #17
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post

conditions.

was riding it slow..
The tester I ran was in the mid 30s which would put me off somewhat since my Tiger get mid 50s. It was real fun though and, as you say, no-one runs a test bike slow.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #18
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
The tester I ran was in the mid 30s which would put me off somewhat since my Tiger get mid 50s. It was real fun though and, as you say, no-one runs a test bike slow.
I was hoping it wasn't gonna be more thirsty then my Kawi 650R, but
some real world riders shattered that dream (I was eyeballing the
Shiver 750 actually).

That engine sure is special, though, very quick to rev up.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 AM   #19
Bobmiller90 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Have you considered getting Talon to make up some hubs to your spec?

Interesting project. I've thought for quite a while (after riding one of those bikes a couple of years ago) that if Aprilia marketed an ADV version, I'd have bought it. I had to wait for the Tiger800XC to come out to find my ideal bike.

Hi - I did consider that option, but I spent all my moolah on the bike!
I like the Capo hub as it has the cush-drive (I know Talon does these too) but it came with a useable 45T sprocket, good bearings and rubbers and that nice BEHR rim all for GBP50. Putting together a Talon/Excel combo would cost...?
I think Aprilia are missing a trick here. ADV bikes are big and getting bigger world wide. In stock format the HardBack is nippy and it weighs a lot less than some other ADV bikes. Its compact and handles well. The Tiger is a great bike too, as is the 800GS, but the Aprilia was GBP6,600.
Bobmiller90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #20
Bobmiller90 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post

conditions.

was riding it slow..
Not tried to ride it too hard, it as 117 miles on it at the moment. The 12 liter tank is just plain stupid - probably only get about 100 miles on it if you are pressing on. I am aiming for double that, as anything less on an ADV bike is pointless.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #21
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Brave man; good luck!
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #22
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmiller90 View Post
Not tried to ride it too hard, it as 117 miles on it at the moment. The 12 liter tank is just plain stupid - probably only get about 100 miles on it if you are pressing on. I am aiming for double that, as anything less on an ADV bike is pointless.
Yeah.. my point exactly.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #23
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
aprilia

subscribed, curious to see how this turns out.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #24
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,618

Uh, OK. Wouldn't it make a better hooligan bike?
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #25
Bobmiller90 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Uh, OK. Wouldn't it make a better hooligan bike?
It makes both, thats the point.
A quick swap of a few parts, and I think you're good to go either way.
My plan is for that approach - simply stick it up on stands, swap the wheels and then whatever else, and you can have the best of both worlds.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #26
johnnysunami
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Awesome idea Bob...just what i was thing...

Hey all, new to sport adventure riding but been riding bikes all my life, primarily sport bikes. Just picked up a dorso 1200 for the exact same reason as Bob, but like i said im new to this scene...so im very anxious in seeing what bob has in store for his dorso...

But any ways, i have a question for ya's...why is it neccessary to have spoked wheels? why not just keep the cast wheels and fit with full or semi knobby tires? Is it because the limited availability of size? Just want to understand so i can follow...thanks!
johnnysunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #27
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,766
You won't get knobbies to fit the wide standard rims is what my Aprillia dealer told me. I was planning to do this to a 750 Dorsoduro.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #28
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysunami View Post
Hey all, new to sport adventure riding but been riding bikes all my life, primarily sport bikes. Just picked up a dorso 1200 for the exact same reason as Bob, but like i said im new to this scene...so im very anxious in seeing what bob has in store for his dorso...

But any ways, i have a question for ya's...why is it neccessary to have spoked wheels? why not just keep the cast wheels and fit with full or semi knobby tires? Is it because the limited availability of size? Just want to understand so i can follow...thanks!
Tire sizes can play a part in choosing to go with spoke wheels.It's mostly done for reliability.Cast wheels can crack easy during jumps and bashing around offroad.Running spooked wheels will have some give and spring back to a point.They can also be repaired on the trail.A cracked cast wheel usually means a tow and a new wheel.In general,spooked wheels are cheaper than cast and they can be serviced as previously mentioned.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #29
Bobmiller90 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysunami View Post

Similar to what Ben says, the spoke wheels are a better bet offroad. Another point is that on 17" wheels the HardBack is twitchy, on the dirt this will be even more so, not what you really want - better to have a large front as it slows things down a bit.
There's a Dorsoduro thread somewhere on this site with a pic of what looks like an FZ1N. That bike has TKC tyres on the standard 17" wheels running a 180 on the rear. So you could get off road tyres for 17" wheels, but I wouldn't.

When I get the wheels sorted I will post the specs for all spacers and modifications that are need to get a Caponord rear into the Dorso 750. There are some Capo part floating around on ebay.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #30
johnnysunami
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
First of all, thank you everyone for explaining the "reasoning" around the difference of spoked and cast wheels as well as the 17" vs. 19" wheels...This makes full sense now that i think about it. I do recall back in my earlier years, riding motocross and dirt bikes, the larger front spoked wheels...

I just wish I had the time to do as Bob...for all that matters, i wish I had the patience to to what Bob is doing! Haha! So i commend you Bob on your endeavor...and I can't wait to see how your wheels turn out! Please please please! keep us updated on your project, I think from what i'm reading you have a huge audience anxious to see the final product of your project!

But not to "thread jack" your thread; as i had mentioned earlier (you may have to excuse me, i've been going back and forth between this thread and another thread in the Beast forum in regards to the dorso and am now getting confused what i said as well as what everyone else said...haha) i was considering purchasing a full blown adventure touring bike prior to the purchase of my dorso, specifically the Triumph Explorer...From what i've read and have been told by some, the Tiger line up was an intentional "reverse engineering" of the BMW GS series...which brings up a question, "why do you suppose Triumph, a very reputable manufacturer of high quality motorcycles, insist on using cast wheels (19" - 21")? Again I do respect yours and the others answers provided...again just want to hear some opinions...just because i'm still tinkering with the idea of using the stock 17" cast wheels with Conti TKC tires...I'm not looking to do the Dakar Rally any time soon, but I've been completely engulfed with the idea of touring on vaca by myself or with others and being able to "duck off" the main road and riding to a remote location and pitch up a small tent and do a little camping and fishing...

Thanks again everyone: just wanted to say and enforce that i've enjoyed and learned more from this forum in general than the actual prila forum (the short time i've been a member)...everyone here seems to have an imagination, on the other forum everyone seems so up tight and concerned about repeat topics, but any ways Thanks!

johnnysunami screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 08:22 AM Reason: because i can...
johnnysunami is offline   Reply With Quote