User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
bbishoppcm OP
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Tire blowout

yeah, looks like I ran my tires a bit too thin this time... the rear tire on my Helix just blew out after about 100 miles of riding today... it happened, thankfully, less than half a mile from my house, and not 30 miles away (where I was), OR worse yet, on the freeway. Anyone else experience a tire blowout? it's not fun. Same thing happened on my Elite 150 just as I was pulling into the parking lot at work.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,404
I've never had a blow out on a two wheeled vehicle and don't want to think about it.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Cry

It's sometimes comes to the fore front ( of what remains) of my mind. Scary thought fo sho.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,721
My last flat happened at around 75 MPH on the interstate on my old R1100GS. The only reason I realized it was flat was because of the loud howling noise. the bike felt fine. When I stopped I found a huge hole in the tire.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
I had a blowout on my Burgman,rear tire,loud pop,,55 to 60mph. Not much wobble or anything. A string plug and portable air pump got me home and to the cycle shop the next day. The string plug leaked so I had to stop and add air a couple of times.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
never had one in car or on bike and dont want to!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,653
I ve had tires go 3 times on me but every time I ve got lucky. I ve gone from hwy speed down to 30 mph min before it's happened. just random chance but I ve never ever run down tires till theres no tread left. Not worth the trip to emergercy . Last time it happen just as I exited the hwy and went flat . Rode it over on to the grass .
Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Last April I was tooling along at about 70mph thinking only 5 more hours until I would get home I heard a noise like a metal file run across a metal zipper. Slowing down I looked in my mirrors to see if I could discover what caused the noise when my rear end started to wobble a bit. Oh crap I thought, I think I have a flat. Fortunately, I was able to continue to slow down and pull off onto the should as the wobble turned into a fishtail flopping. The only casualty was that the scoot fell over when I tried to put it on the kickstand. Since it was fully loaded for touring the saddlebags with the flat tire made it impossible for me to get to the center stand without a third hand to hold hold the saddlebags out of the way. A couple driving behind me pulled over and helped get the scoot up on the center stand. Sadly, I didn't get to make it home for 3 more days since it happened on Saturday afternoon. Too late for the half day of local shops which were closed on Sunday. The rear tire size on the Scarabeo isn't one that shops keep in stock so one had to be overnighted in. Tuesday night I finally got home.

There was still thread left but something caused the tire to lose a strip of thread similar to the big rig rethreads you see on the freeways.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Rear tire went flat at 125mph on my SV1000S when the valve stem broke. The bike started weaving and I first thought it was the wind, when it pulled to the other side I realized it wasn't the wind but a tire. I didn't knew which one was it, so I slowed down smoothly, without getting completely off the throttle. When I had slowed to about 30mph the rear tire howled like nothink I've heard before, and it overheated to the point of blueing. Only casualty was a turn signal as the bike wouldn't stay on the sidestand, with the flat rear it wouldn't lean against the sidestand.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Rear tire went flat at 125mph on my SV1000S when the valve stem broke. The bike started weaving and I first thought it was the wind, when it pulled to the other side I realized it wasn't the wind but a tire. I didn't knew which one was it, so I slowed down smoothly, without getting completely off the throttle. When I had slowed to about 30mph the rear tire howled like nothink I've heard before, and it overheated to the point of blueing. Only casualty was a turn signal as the bike wouldn't stay on the sidestand, with the flat rear it wouldn't lean against the sidestand.
Ok what where you doing going at 125mph ? Like wow thats fast and you were very lucky. Not putting you down but to me anything over 85 mph unless your at a race track seem really fast at least on 10 or 12 inch wheels.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Eek

Have picked up a nail a couple of time$ on the 650 & found myself riding low/no pressure. left the nail in & pumped it up on both occasions since wasn't too far from home. Must have been lucky really, I noticed it was a bit soft in the back end on corners so had backed off until I could pull over & check it. I always travel with a pump
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Ok what where you doing going at 125mph ? Like wow thats fast and you were very lucky. Not putting you down but to me anything over 85 mph unless your at a race track seem really fast at least on 10 or 12 inch wheels.
It wasn't on my scooter, only way it could go that fast would be on free fall from an airplane!

It was on my SV1000S, on a Mexican tollway, MX85D, 19.800786,-98.948908

If you look it up on the map you'll see that there are very long straight sections on that road, and I don't twist the throttle that hard if cars are around me.

I had a lot of time to think about what I had done as I waited for the tow truck...

Three hours later I was on my way home...

Old 08-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
bbishoppcm OP
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
VW pickup trucks... why can't the US get a decent compact truck? Grrrr.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #14
fullmetalscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
VW pickup trucks... why can't the US get a decent compact truck? Grrrr.
;

Same old same old. Safety standards, eg vw bug cheap etc but you don't want to be in one in a bad crash. Environment reg add so much cost to bikes and cars. Thatsa reason that india has a 2500 buck car and scooters for grand. Even ford when fock it went they were going to build 100 model T for sale for the 100 th year anniversary. They would have to meet those regs and heaven forbid anything happened because ford would be sued for an unsafe car . A model T is part wood frame etc. Hell I would guess someone would have bought one and broke an arm hand starting it and sued. It would be nice to get 100 MPG bikes and cars but it's not going to happen untill it's all to late.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Yes, I'm pretty sure that mini truck wouldn't meet any recent safety regulations. It is a VW Saveiro, based on the Audi 80 from the late 70s. Although it received numerous updates within the 30 year production run, underneath it was the same old platform. It wouldn't also be able to meet newer emissions, with the engine management they come with, Digifant 1.7, althought it would be very easy for VW to put Motronic in there, they would just have to pull it from the parts bin.

BUT the newer Saveiros shouldn't have a problem meeting safety regulations as they are based on VW's PQ24 platfrorm, which does meet European safety regulations.