Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmett ken View Post
I had a blowout on my Burgman,rear tire,loud pop,,55 to 60mph. Not much wobble or anything. A string plug and portable air pump got me home and to the cycle shop the next day. The string plug leaked so I had to stop and add air a couple of times.
It is OK to install 2 or 3 string plugs in the same hole if needed, to get to a better place. Put glue on the string if you have it. I've had them last the life of the tire, on a car. Although, on a bike, I'd change the tire as soon as practical.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I know a kid who has that plug thing in back tire of his sport bike. It seems it doesn't bother him.
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
It is OK to install 2 or 3 string plugs in the same hole if needed, to get to a better place. Put glue on the string if you have it. I've had them last the life of the tire, on a car. Although, on a bike, I'd change the tire as soon as practical.
Yeah, I should have tried that. Never thought of it at the time. Now I also carry a mushroom tire plug kit.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,471
If done right strings can last along time. Then again some people have them go after less then 50 miles. The one thing I would never ever use unless you want to buy another tire is slime. It make it dam hard to patch the tire afterwords. I feel as long as you take your time with strings, let the glue set for for 15 min and your really rasped out the hole it should last for a while. At lest it lasted for 2 000 miles for me. Then again where not traveling at 65 Mile per hour day in and out.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,581
I once had the rear tire of my Yamaha Venture repaired with a sticky string. I put about 14,000 miles on that tire after the repair and that included riding two up and speeds well over 80 MPH. I replaced the tire when it was worn out. On the other hand, I needed 2 strings to repair the hole in my BMW's tire. I only rode on that long enough to get home.

I have read other threads on plugging tires. The general consensus has been that the sticky strings work much better than the plugs found in many motorcycle repair kits.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Rear tire flat

I had a valve stem come out on a rear tire a couple weeks ago. I was just returning from a 200 mile round trip and was only 300 yds from home. I was doing 35mph and suddenly it went flat, talk about a wild ride . Flopping side to side. tire came off the rim bead on one side. I walked it the rest of the way home.

I'm going to try noodling the next tires.

Pete
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
78_XL125
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I had one on my 78 Honda XL125 dual sport, I slowed down to about 20 or 25mph for someone walking a dog on the other side of the street, since dogs seem to be pretty unpredictable and I didn't want to hit anyones pup. When I got back on the throttle and started to gain speed it seemed like I hit a patch of sand or gravel the way the rear end was acting and sliding out. I pulled in the clutch and coasted down to a stop and noticed the rear tire had a flat. I had only rode about 100 miles on the bike total at this time and it had the original tires and a 20+ year old tube on the rear the previous owner had not done anything besides start the engine once a year for the last 20 years to make sure it got to run. After the blow out I got two new tires and tubes because it was not a great feeling having a tube blow out. I'm just glad it happened at less than 35mph.
78_XL125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
Lotuscat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
I'm going to try noodling the next tires.
Ok, I'll bite. What do you mean by "noodling" the tire? All I could come up with is "Catfish Noodling" a.k.a. “Hillbilly Handfishing”.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #24
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Several mentions that with a flat tire you can't put down the side stand. A tip, if you are on a two lane road with little traffic: Carefully ride over to the left side of the road and park there. Most roads have a crown that works against you on the right side, but for you on the left.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #25
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I have had a few blowouts on my Heinkel over the years. The long wheelbase made it controllable. And the spare wheel came in handy.