Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
My new zuma 125 and other scooter madness!!

Two weeks ago I traded my 07 vstar 650 for a NEW 09 zuma 125. Most of my biker buddies thought I was crazy but the truth is I just did not ride the vstar and having only 4000 miles in 5 years I thought it was time for a change. I rode in on the vstar and rode out on the zuma, grinning like a idot the whole way home. I'm not new to scooters I've owned two zuma 50's, honda ruckus, honda metro, and a cheap a$$ china made gy6. This is by far my favorite scooter and in my top three favorite bikes.

I got my buddies together for a little ride that weekend. Our "gang" consisted of my z125, a zuma 50, a chinese 4t 50( with Leo vince exhaust) and a hammered 2000 yamaha razz. The ride started simple enough with back roads outside murray ky but then after some shit talk about how far we would ride we ended up in Paducah ky. The ride began at 5:00pm and ended at 2:30am I was able to rack up 213 miles that day. Even with the Razz limiting the group speed to 30mph and the rock hard z125 seat, it was one of the best rides I had ever been on!
before the adventure

At the flood wall in Paducah

The little Razz the could! 2 hours before this pic it was on it's side under a barn!

Now the Razz have been replaced with a Kymco super 9 LC so I'm sure to have more rides and pics soon!
Here are a few pics down the road from my house at the Kenlake state park.

The best thing this bike has done for me is renew my love for riding and for that I thank you little Zuma!
kyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,260
Nice little scooter. I parked next to one at Walmart yesterday.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
haha that razz is beast mate, Zuma is lovely i was fit to buy a new one until they put the stacked headlights on them i wanted the style like you have
Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
haha that razz is beast mate, Zuma is lovely i was fit to buy a new one until they put the stacked headlights on them i wanted the style like you have
My buddy bought that beat up Razz for $12 it sat under his barn for a year and with just fresh gas, oil and a hot battery it completed the whole 150 mile journey. Simply amazing in my eyes. He sold it that week for $250 bucks. I love the side by side headlights! Seems like a lot of people around here are quick to swap them out for the stacked kind. Grass is always greener I guess.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #5
=retread=
more MPG

Oddometer: 124
i thought the 125's had a guard bar around the headlights.
=retread= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

They do. I took mine off because I was bored. I haven't got around to putting it back on.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
I am glad that that you are enjoying the Zuma. They sure are a lot of fun!!!

I am in a similar situation. I had a Honda Shadow when I bought my Zuma. I had them both for almost a year. It got to were I had to force myself to ride the Shadow. Sold it because it was just taking up space.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I went for a short ride with my buddy and his new scoot. He got this Kymco super 9 from a very...........country gentleman who had thrown a "custom" yellow paint job on it. After a little work and a few spray cans we had it looking a little better. Not a bad deal for the $500 bucks he paid. I have to say the super 9 is a nice scooter! Front and rear disc brakes, water cooled, and a near 50mph top speed. I have him talked into ordering some Michelin boppers this week.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Whats a comfortable cruising speed for the Zuma 125, say for a 200 lb rider? Top Speed?

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Welcome to the Zuma 125 gang!

Bugtussle - 50mph (GPS) is a good cruising speed on my zuma 125 (185lbs) with a windscreen. It will show 60mph on the speedo, but thats really on 55mph. I may do the upgear swap on mine which is supposed to be good for 4 mph on the top end, but will possibly kill the low end.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post

Bugtussle - 50mph (GPS) is a good cruising speed on my zuma 125 (185lbs) with a windscreen. It will show 60mph on the speedo, but thats really on 55mph. I may do the upgear swap on mine which is supposed to be good for 4 mph on the top end, but will possibly kill the low end.
I was wondering how far off the speedo is from actual mph. I'm about 260 and I can get about 57 on flat ground and good wind. My scoot also only has 600 miles. When is it considered "broke in"?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:

Thank you for that info!

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #13
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Pretty sure that 600 miles is the break-in period and also the 1st oil change and valve clearance check. Don't worry about the valves unless you are a real obsessed with doing everything by the book.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Pretty sure that 600 miles is the break-in period and also the 1st oil change and valve clearance check. Don't worry about the valves unless you are a real obsessed with doing everything by the book.
Ok great! I did the first oil change but I figured I would wait on the valves. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New bars and grips

I'm the kind of person that can't leave anything stock. There is nothing wrong with the way Yamaha set the Z125 up, but I felt the need to stand out a little bit. I wanted a set of lower bars so I jumped on motorcyclesuperstore and found a set of Bikemaster superbike bars. They are near 2" lower with about the same pull back also about 1"1/2 wider overall. The grips are Bikemaster revolvers.
Here is the box of fun

It's contents

New bars meet stock bars

ON!!! after a few screw ups I made (broke the little pin on the inside of the right control box)

Overall I'm very happy with the look and feel over stock. I was worried that the lower bars would hit my knees but so far it's not been an issue. The slight lean forward also makes the seat a bit more forgiving. Next up will be some new tires (Boppers), exhaust ( Leo vince or Samurai), Highway pegs, and maybe some lighter rollers.