Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Right now I own 4 big bikes and 2 small scooters. I don't like the scooters for long distances, but within the city, avoiding the highway, they are a blast. Maybe I would like them for longer distances if I had a bigger scooter, but nothing beats scooters for practicality.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 754
Yep, I went from a bike, a BMW GS, to a scooter. Several scooters.

Did so for age-related medical issues...arthritis in the hips; back. Scooters aren't much better on the back; but I'm no longer up for long-distance rides. So, why have the money invested in an expensive bike?

As to your question: The Burgman 400 and 650 both offer RELATIVELY better weather protection. Keep in mind, you're still out in the open. And for a true protection, you'll have to go with an aftermarket windshield - Givi or similar.

That said...no matter what you're on, lousy weather makes for a lousy ride. If it's all about saving money on gas, do what someone recommended: buy a cheap small car. The most fuel efficient of them almost equal my Burgman 650 in fuel mileage; I get 37 mpg with my Yaris and 47 with the Burgman.

Get an econobox; stay warm and dry; and enjoy the ride when the weather's cooperating.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
Do it. Been on motorycles for 40+ years. I had '64 a Lambretta 175 in the early 80's, some would say now that's a scooter, but not one for a 35 mile commute. I now have a BV250 pretty much as my only transportation. Sure, a 350-650 would probably be a better freeway bike, but the 250's do fine. The windshield on the BV was horrible, terrible buffeting, so off it went. At speed I thought I'd still have good protection with the leg shields and clean air around the helmet. The latter is true, while the former is not so true. The air spills over and dumps right down into my lap. If its cold, well then, it's bothersome like cold, even with decent ballistic type pants on. So, scooters, like motorcycles, have windshield issues and unintended consequences when you start mucking around with them. Other than that I can't think of a better around town and commute tool. I love just hoping on and riding. When you aren't out for some sort of visceral experience not having to shift is also great and you still get the fun of being on two wheels without few, if any, hassles. I truly enjoy being a "non-entity" on a scooter too, no ego in the ride nor ego perceived by others - its nice to be anonymous. All in all just about everything is easier on an appropriate scooter. I also average 74 mpg (low 68-high 83)
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
Octarine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I sold my goldwing and my 750 suzuki and bought a silverwing. Unfrortunately the ergos are just not right and ive got it for sale. Im gonna go back to something that fits me better. The S'wing is a great scooter, fast and reliable and dead easy to work on-I just did the 12k svce including valve adjustment and it was a breeze.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Converted from Kawasaki Vulcan 750 to Silverwing and from BMW R1100R to BV500.

No regrets at all. Both scooters do everything I need for them to do. The BV is new, so haven't got much perspective yet on the maintenance, but appears to be easy to work on and I'm hearing anecdotally that the BV500s are solid, well-built, reliable machines. That is certainly the case with the SWing, which I've owned now for almost two years. Both are comfortable, have good power, handle well and are frankly a lot more user-friendly than the motorcycles I owned. I won't be going back...made that mistake once with the BMW and found that these aging bones and joints just don't do well with a standard motorcycle anymore...totally different story with the SWing and BV.

The SWing and I are heading out on a tour of the Pacific Northwest next month...yes, it's that good.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
Mohawk Badger
Registered

Oddometer: 135
Vstrom to Burgman

I had the Vstrom 650 until my hips made it hard to get on the bike. I switched to the Burgman 650 and love it. I can commute (55mph top speed 14 miles), run errands or load it up and take a three day 1,100 mile weekend to Canada. It isn't even that bad on dirt roads.
Mohawk Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #22
chukzelda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
ok, you fine folks have convinced me to make the leap into a scooter. I'll start working on a plan to get myself into one right away. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
Chuk
chukzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukzelda View Post
ok, you fine folks have convinced me to make the leap into a scooter. I'll start working on a plan to get myself into one right away. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
Chuk
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,711
Back to the original question.

I had a Honda Shadow 750 for over 5 years. Bought a Zuma 125 to compliment the bike. Within a couple of months I was having to force myself to ride the motorcycle.

11 months after getting the scooter I sold the motorcycle. Only miss it when I need to jump on the highway which I can't do with the Zuma. Now, if I had a 250 or larger cc scooter even this would not be an issue.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #25
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 754
Only thing I would caution you on, is that a 250cc scooter is not going to be big enough.

Some will disagree; but even if you get a 250 that can hold freeway speeds, it'll be wide open or close to, and with little or no reserve. That's not a fun thing when you're battling traffic.

Were I you, I'd look for a Burgman 400 or similar. I'm partial to the Burgman; I know it tops out at over 80 mph and has tremendous storage space. Handles well, also; it's as much motorcycle as scooter.

And you'll still have your choice. Zuma or Burgman...90 mpg or 60.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #26
jalapenopete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I rode my Vespa 250 GTS to work every day (28 mile round trip) until they made me a work-at-home employee. it was great, much more fun than my R12GS. slap on some goggles and a puddin' bowl and i was on the road. now it's my daily errand runner, I seldom get in the car. but, as someone else suggested, you get no respect. i live in GA, and these crackers down here think you're automatically some type of effeminate misfit when you're on a scooter.
jalapenopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #27
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapenopete View Post
I rode my Vespa 250 GTS to work every day (28 mile round trip) until they made me a work-at-home employee. it was great, much more fun than my R12GS. slap on some goggles and a puddin' bowl and i was on the road. now it's my daily errand runner, I seldom get in the car. but, as someone else suggested, you get no respect. i live in GA, and these crackers down here think you're automatically some type of effeminate misfit when you're on a scooter.
You must live in a different GA than I do. I get waves from most other riders and have yet to have anyone show a lack of respect.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #28
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
You must live in a different GA than I do. I get waves from most other riders and have yet to have anyone show a lack of respect.
Yeah, I get the same here in middle Tennessee. Most motorcycles wave, its the scooter riders that mostly don't wave. I got a wave from a Can Am Spyder rider yesterday, Car drivers are OK as well with the exception of the ones on a cell phone who don't see you.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #29
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
Yeah, I get the same here in middle Tennessee. Most motorcycles wave, its the scooter riders that mostly don't wave. I got a wave from a Can Am Spyder rider yesterday, Car drivers are OK as well with the exception of the ones on a cell phone who don't see you.
I took an 8 state trip in June on my Sport City. I rode through AL. GA. TN, NC, VA, WVA, OH, and KY. I think I even rode through your part of the state hexnut. I had no issues with lack of respect. Most other riders waved or waved back regardless of what type or brand of bike they were on.

My ride report, in case anyone is interested, is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803404

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #30
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
I've noticed on a few scooter forums its fashionable right now to play the scooters don't get no respect card. I haven't seen it in my travels.

It could be the ones who don't get any respect are doing stupid stuff in traffic and getting yelled at by car drivers.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote