User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
aschnell OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Yacugar Suspension

I have an 09 GSA with ESA. Wanted to do something to dial my suspension in a little better for me. I ride with bags all the time and am a little heavier than BMW's standard rider. Was thinking of going Wilbers WESA. Spent some time emailing vendors. Ended up talking with Ted Porter from Beemershop probably for a couple of hours on the phone. In the end I decided to give up the push button suspension and go with a piggyback shock setup. Ted started carrying Yacugar recently. Supposedly they are ex WP suspension guys who didn't want to move away when KTM acquired them. It was either that or Wilbers piggyback. The Yacugar have larger shafts and supposedly use a bladder instead of a piston in the reservoir ( for less stiction). They are also steel bodied and fully rebuildable (unlike OEM ESA).

They came packaged in nice boxes to protect them during shipping from across the pond. Took about a month to get them.

Here is a side by side of the stock ESA unit and the Yacugar piggyback one. Most people usually go with an emulsion style in the front even if they do a piggyback rear. I decided since I was giving up ESA I wanted the fully adjustable up front too.

Installed. The front was a PITA to install. Had to disassemble way more than I was hoping for. Crash bars, tank, alternator cover all had to come off. Took quite a while. High/Low speed compression adjust right on the front of the reservoir. Rebound adjustment is on the ring at the base of the shaft. Everything is easily accessible. Compression needs some sort of tool (screwdriver) but rebound has a nice knurled ring that can be done by hand. The preload looks like it might be a real pain to adjust. Shocks came with wrenches for that, just haven't tried to adjust the front preload yet.

Here is the rear next to the stock ESA. The rear has the hydraulic preloader mounted right to the shock body.

Here it is installed. The rear install took well under an hour, very easy.

And here is the preload adjuster

So far I have a bunch of rides to work on them (hitting as much dirt as possible) and one 450 mile ride through NH, VT and NY across some varied terrain. Ride was mostly twisty road, but like all New England roads full of potholes and frost heaves. Did some dirt as well but just a few long sections of roadwork. I haven't touched any of the knobs yet. Need to play around, but since they were built to my specifications figured I don't need to go too crazy just yet. The suspension seems to handle everything very well. The stock damping setting is somewhere close to normal on the ESA, but never lost contact in the bumpiest sections and worked well on the twisties. The ESA seemed to get lost when riding over stutter bumps, this seems to have improved. Haven't ridden two up with the GF yet, but now i have the ability to infinitely set sag instead of the two basic 5 and 10mm of the ESA and set damping where I want.
aschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,173
Nice! I've heard good things about these guys.
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Mrmerlin
K1300S fast as shi..

Oddometer: 316
FYI to prolong the front shock piston from being damaged get a small piece of tire inner tube sized about 2 inches by 5 inches and put a hole in each corner zip tie the rubber to the front of the front shock spring this will keep stones from pitting the piston and thus killing the shock,
I have seen this happen on Ohlins as well as stock shocks, your shocks look nice,
Mrmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
aschnell OP
Adventurer

Not a bad idea. I have a mud sling in the rear but was wondering what to do with the front. I have lots of bike tubes lying around, almost free mod.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
They bear an uncanny resemblance to Hyperpro shocks. The box is identical except for color and brand label. Even the remote preload adjuster looks identical.
Jazz62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #6
aschnell OP
Adventurer

When surfing around for info on them I read one post that said yacugar builds stuff from hyperpro parts. Looked around for some good pics of the hyperpro units but never found much, plus there were no great pictures of what these were going to look like exactly either.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
They bear an uncanny resemblance to Hyperpro shocks..... Even the remote preload adjuster looks identical.
I was thinking the same thing.

I wonder how pricing compares to usual suspects.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschnell View Post
When surfing around for info on them I read one post that said yacugar builds stuff from hyperpro parts. Looked around for some good pics of the hyperpro units but never found much, plus there were no great pictures of what these were going to look like exactly either.
That makes perfect sense then. Even the description of the shaft diameter and bladder. They also use x-rings vs o-rings carried over from their expertise with motocross suspension for better sealing. Check out the pic. The only difference I can see is that the Yacugar spring is not progressively wound. Can't wait till I can afford the front too.

Hyperpro Shock for R1150GS
Old 08-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
They bear an uncanny resemblance to Hyperpro shocks. The box is identical except for color and brand label. Even the remote preload adjuster looks identical.
gotta agree

Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 200
Just installed them!

Love them! Ted strongly suggested these, and I really like them. I have a R1100GS. Took me a grand total of an hour to install.. Fantastic! I have to adjust the ride height (I'm a short buggar), but the difference is amazing! Ted sells all of the major brands, I basically left it up to him and he suggested the Yacugar.
One of the parts (I forget which one) actually says 'Hyperpro'.. Go figure..
Anyhoo- Right price, seems to be a fantastic shock, I have already suggested them (and Ted) to another Beemer friend of mine...

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
Love them! Ted strongly suggested these, and I really like them. I have a R1100GS. Took me a grand total of an hour to install.. Fantastic! I have to adjust the ride height (I'm a short buggar), but the difference is amazing! Ted sells all of the major brands, I basically left it up to him and he suggested the Yacugar.
One of the parts (I forget which one) actually says 'Hyperpro'.. Go figure..
Anyhoo- Right price, seems to be a fantastic shock, I have already suggested them (and Ted) to another Beemer friend of mine...
Would you mind sharing what they cost? Most of us are familiar with the prices on the usual suspects.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
How much are them bad boys?
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
aschnell OP
Adventurer

Prices are listed on www.beemershop.com as well.

The rear piggyback is listed at $999, they list the emulsion for the front at $569. I upgraded my front to a piggyback as well, so the same price as the rear @ $999. The hydraulic preload for the rear i believe is another $200. They look to price out the same as the Hyperpro units @ EPM Performance. Seeing they look almost the same (probably made from same parts) that makes sense.

Ted was selling these for a little less (same price as Wilber's supposedly) to get them out the door and into peoples hands. Not sure how long that will last?

Give him a call if interested, great to talk to.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 200
Price?

I think I have around $1300 plus shipping in them.
I've ridden friends GS's with Ohlins and Wilbers. They've been newer bikes with less miles, and set up for them. I gotta tell ya that I was looking for another bike JUST for when my wife would like to ride with me. I'm not looking any longer. This upgrade has been well worth it, Ted was a great resource who took his time with me and asked a whole bunch of questions, had me sitting on the bike while he asked others, etc.. Ted even told me: "all of the suspensions are about the same, 13mm shaft vs 14mm shaft, yadda yadda"... I chose the Yacugars for 3 reasons: He was genuinely excited about the shocks, They're steel bodies vs aluminum (which works for me in my situation) and they have the bigger 14mm shafts.

Worth it? Well, figure the cost of ANOTHER motorcycle, insurance, luggage, tires.... I consider these a fantastic investment. I really want a BMW R1100RS, preferably a first year oilhead in white pearl. I will be putting Yacugars on that one, too. I'll buy them from Ted.

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Very reasonable indeed. Thanks for hipping us to them. Ted is a top-notch guy.