ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #31
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
As I read it having your unit replaced 3 times could be considered "major repairs" .....so as I read it you are technically lucky?

It does go some way to addressing complaints, but I do not see this as the answer.

I think Google Earth should just buyout Garmin and move the technology to the next level!

J
I don't think 'Luck' has anything to do with it. I believe the reason Garmin is so successful is spite of having some duds and bugs in their products is because they are flexible and understanding, within reason. I'm not surprised that they would transfer a Lifetime Map Update subscription to multiple replacement units.

That's why I hope Garmin remains their own company, not just another of Google's stepping stones to global domination.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #32
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Lots of caveats involved and is only available for the City Navigator:

As I read it having your unit replaced 3 times could be considered "major repairs" .....so as I read it you are technically lucky?

It does go some way to addressing complaints, but I do not see this as the answer.

I think Google Earth should just buyout Garmin and move the technology to the next level!

J
I never had a hint of an issue. On my last replacement I just needed to email Garmin the details and the lieftime maps switched over instantly. (In Canda repairs are handled by a thrid party so Garmin needs to have proof of the exchange and things are transferred.) I understand that in the USA they do it automatically when the wswap is made.

It costs money to make maps. I don't begrudge a company mamking money on the maps. Fortunately so many customers use the maps (I think Gamin uses Navtech) that hte price is amortized over a larger client base reducing costs.

Google Earth doesnt do it for free and I would hate to see ads popping up on my GPS in the future as a result of "Free" maps.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #33
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That's why I hope Garmin remains their own company, not just another of Google's stepping stones to global domination.

I was hoping this might spur some discussion........keep it coming.......... as I think Google Earth with an offline component, combined with some Garmin hardware & software tech would be a really good match up (global domination aside)!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
It costs money to make maps. I don't begrudge a company mamking money on the maps. Fortunately so many customers use the maps (I think Gamin uses Navtech) that the price is amortized over a larger client base reducing costs.

So if I am following the logic here.....if the costs are spread over the Google empire.......wouldn't it be even less expensive?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #35
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I was hoping this might spur some discussion........keep it coming.......... as I think Google Earth with an offline component, combined with some Garmin hardware & software tech would be a really good match up (global domination aside)!

http://www.gpsreview.net/google-motonav/
Old 08-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #36
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
So if I am following the logic here.....if the costs are spread over the Google empire.......wouldn't it be even less expensive?
Might be, but at the current price its a pretty good value.

Google tends to offer theiing for "free" but that means that they have to get money somehow and that means ads or preferred POI's. I would hate for my GPS to start having ads in it or start directling me to "preferred" places when I'm searching.

..Tom

SMIDSY detailed report
Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #37
Iball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Garmin refused to let me buy a Zumo 665 online. Every single time it would go through and then a few hours later I would get an email saying the order had been cancelled.
So I called them on the phone and they apologized and it turns out their website ordering system was glitching on all orders.
For my trouble they knocked $300 off the price of the GPS.
Iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #38
Sapper33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Garmin makes a good product, and they are in the business of making money, only make sense they would want to keep making money. On the consumer end, it sucks, but there are always work arounds...always.

Garmin will continue to keep a client base, and people will continue to pay for maps (partially because as mentioned: they cost money to make!), until someone else comes out with an equivalent product at the same price point. Google and Apple products keep coming up, and yes they are very good products and getting better all the time, however they are still limited. Hardware is easy to solve, data is not.

the Trimble Juno was mentioned, I would love to get my hands on one of these, very cool units, but as mentioned they start at $700, and if you want one that will work as a phone too, be prepared to fork out $1300 (I've been begging my boss to get me one). The catch, you guessed it: MAPS! The Juno runs Ozi Explorer mapping software. Much more powerful, but not nearly as user friendly as the Garmin UI, and you still need maps.

Google Earth based mapping keeps arising too, but I really don't think people understand how much it costs to get that data. I work with this stuff for a living, so I can testify to the fact that good imagery is not cheap. We spend tens of thousands of dollars on each project on hi-res imagery, imagine a 400m x 300km strip of 0.4m imagery cost $15,000, how much do you think an entire province, or country is going to cost? And while hi-res is not needed by most people (especially on a 3"x4" screen), people still want it, and the more is produced the more people will want it. And lets be honest, you want more than imagery on a base map, you want routes and POIs and all that good stuff, someone has to to digitize it. Someone has to pay for it, because companies aren't going to do it for free.
Sapper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #39
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iball View Post
Garmin refused to let me buy a Zumo 665 online. Every single time it would go through and then a few hours later I would get an email saying the order had been cancelled.
So I called them on the phone and they apologized and it turns out their website ordering system was glitching on all orders.
For my trouble they knocked $300 off the price of the GPS.
Wow! That really soiunds to me like a business that says "*!$# U to customers!"

..Tom

SMIDSY detailed report
Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #40
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
There are already rugged Android devices hitting the market for the professional field workers. It is only a matter of time before something affordable and more consumer oriented is available. Then you can run whatever mapping app you prefer; and there are plenty that put Garmin to shame.
+1

I have dualsportmaps, Google maps, Google earth, oruxmaps, my tracks, and a few gpx file viewers on my.... phone.

phone from Craigslist is $200, no service needed, download maps (free) on wifi and pay the developers for their excellent software. total investment, maybe $250 including a 32 gb microsd card.

it capture HD video, too
it doesn't tie maps to devices
it doesn't require hacking/cracking to get the maps you want

Garmin is dead, just not dead enough to stop fucking their customers just yet.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #41
ben.thomas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I have purchased 3 Garmin GPS over the years, but have stopped buying Garmin for this very reason.

My zumo 550 is now getting very old - and it doesn't have features like lane assistance or traffic status.

However, as I have purchased Australia/New Zealand, Europe, United States/Canada and South East Asian maps, I can't afford to upgrade to a later system. By the time you buy the new maps, and then buy lifetime updates, you are looking at a significant investment. And what if your device is stolen? Try and convince an insurance company that your loss really was $2,500 for a GPS system.

For the past 6 months I have experimented with a using an Android phone. There has only been one downside: visibility in direct sunlight.

In the next 2 months I am planning to create a bracket for a ZTE V9 7" tablet, which will be waterproofed and permanently mounted on the bike. This tablet has a resistive screen, which means it works well with gloves. I will create a sunshade for it, and that will be a much better solution than a Garmin device - and much cheaper!!! The larger screen, for one, will be priceless for navigation.

I think that Garmin is ultimately destroying their own business model. I can see that they want to sell maps, but they are facing far more competition than before.

I would buy the zumo 350LM if I could transfer my maps, because I like Mapsource. But as it is, I will probably continue to use Mapsource (with its updates) on my laptop, and but use Android devices on the road.
ben.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #42
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Garmin is dead, just not dead enough to stop fucking their customers just yet.

Not hardly.

Is the "ruggedized phone" IPX7 certified? What's the temperature operating range? Vibration hardened?

Come back with a report in a year or two of how that phone did after being exposed to constant rain, sun, vibration etc.

And I'm not talking about Garmin unites only still being better than a phone. Purpose built GPS devices are far from dead. A big part of the reason they cost what they do (for the hardware) is because they ARE waterpoof, will handle temp extremes etc.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #43
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post

Not hardly.

Is the "ruggedized phone" IPX7 certified? What's the temperature operating range? Vibration hardened?

Come back with a report in a year or two of how that phone did after being exposed to constant rain, sun, vibration etc.

And I'm not talking about Garmin unites only still being better than a phone. Purpose built GPS devices are far from dead. A big part of the reason they cost what they do (for the hardware) is because they ARE waterpoof, will handle temp extremes etc.
Crude and cheap as it is, I'm laughing with you:
a doubled up zip lock bag in my pocket doesnt have any certifications i can see, but works well so far.

as far as ruggedness goes, well, its in my pocket, I'm not tossing me down stairs or sleeping in the frozen tundra, so I could only guess for ruggedness of the device.

the biggest problem with a GPS only unit is no postin schmarmy comments or epic pics on adv. ;-)
Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #44
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Garmin City Navigator doesn't cost $1200, it costs $75.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-city-n...-dvd-2013.html

What's the big deal?

Besides, isn't that how Adobe's licencing works? It's only to one computer unless you have a site license in my experience. Fortunately the college I sometimes work for has a site license.

Fine, I don't have to buy a new license for Diablo 3 every time I upgrade my PC. It only costs $60 but you wanna bet Blizzard wouldn't catch holy hell if they did try that shit?

Nope, 2 at the SAME time. I can always delete the license off of one PC and put it on another and reactivate as many times as I want. I'm not forced to buy another license because I upgrade hardware. I'm pretty sure there isn't another example of a company besides Garmin that does that shit.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #45
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Fine, I don't have to buy a new license for Diablo 3 every time I upgrade my PC. It only costs $60 but you wanna bet Blizzard wouldn't catch holy hell if they did try that shit?.
Who cares? It's a game. Blizzard doesn't have to pay licensing fees to a third party for each copy they sell. Garmin does.