Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #61
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittty View Post
Lol, I'm sure at this point that the Iron 883 is at the top of my list. As far as if that'll happen, or realistically be the best choice, is yet to be determined, but it really is what I want.

Sighhh...

'Round here, you can get one cheap. Lightly used ones tend to run in the high fives to the mid-upper sixes.

I've known a few Harley riders...worked with two; would go on day cruises with them. We didn't make many miles, between their fuel stops and their rubbing their posteriors to get feeling back in them.

The old guy I bought my Burgman 650 from...he's 88; just gave up riding; he told me he had a Harley for a year before the Burgman. The vibration made his arms numb after less than an hour...he got rid of it fast.

Me, I've made many mistakes in life; but falling for a Harley is not one of them.

For yourself: I'd recommend you RENT one for a day or so, first. A lot of Harley dealers have rental programs. It's not cheap, but it's a chance to live with one for a day or two, and see if it's you or not.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #62
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

Oddometer: 54
Well, keep in mind I currently ride a Stella, not a Burgman ;) Stella vibrates a lot, and my bum is has been happier than after a jaunt on the scooter, so neither of those points scare me much. I'm used to a rough ride, my Stella is actually smoother than my car, which has pretty stiff coilovers.

I'm not opposed to slightly used, if it's worth it. If a bike with 10,000 miles will be $1k less than new, not worth it. I'll consider the rental for a day, but only if it's this exact bike. If I rent a different Sportster, I won't like it, I know it.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #63
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,439
I rode a Harley for many years. Enjoyed every mile. There are many myths out there. Mostly from people who never had one.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #64
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
I rode a Harley for many years. Enjoyed every mile. There are many myths out there. Mostly from people who never had one.
Haha I actually keep looking at the seat on the Sportster thinking, that looks a hell of a lot more comfortable than straddling the brick of a seat on my Stella.

There's a lot of very loyal Harley riders, gotta be a reason for that.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #65
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:

There's a lot of very loyal Harley riders, gotta be a reason for that.
Image, luv. The whole glue-on tattoo; Sturgis Bike Week thing...orthodontists with multiple ex-wives and hemorrhoids, can be outlaws on weekends.

I actually was in Sturgis in 2010...entirely unplanned. Was working in central South Dakota and wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. I arrived at the jobsite on my BMW; and on a long weekend, a week before Bike Week, I headed down.

Already it was packed; the whole area between Sturgis and Rapid City and Rushmore. And I was passing trailer after trailer of Harleys.

A few die-hards rode in, too. Saw them at every gas station, limping...

Everyone's gotta find their own note; I get that. But I had friends pressure me into getting admitted into the Harley asylum; and I looked and ran the other way.

Me, I like quiet; I like smooth. I like fast, too; but the other two are as important.

And, I like comfort.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #66
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

Well, I have plenty of real tattoos, and I hate even visiting the dentist, so I can't subscribe to any of that :)

Never been the type to go for quiet or smooth. Most of my cars have been lowered, exhaust, attention grabbing big wheels, top down and system cranked up. I have lots of tattoos and dress a little funky, I don't blend in too well.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #67
ramblerdrver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Guess I'll ad my $.02 worth to this interesting conversation. I currently ride a Honda Reflex scooter and a 1971 Yamaha AT1 Enduro 125cc (lots of character here...both in looks and riding!). As mention in other posts, if you think an 883cc Sportster is your next bike of choice, try to ride or rent one before plunking down your money. The Sportster will weigh probably 300 pounds more then your Stella, which will be a MAJOR change for you! If you can't ride one beforehand at least set on one and try to lift it off the side stand and try pushing it around a bit, like you'd have to do around your garage...that 300 pounds will make a BIG difference on either of these operations. And on how easy it is to maneuvor it at low speeds and tight turns.

I did rent an 883 Sportster (used...probably a couple years old by then) on vacation about 10 years ago, for 4 hours. Wanted to see what all the fanaticism was all about. And I enjoyed it. Best part was the "musclecar" feel it had. It vibrated, yes, but not excessively so, at least for the 4 hour ride I had. Worst part was the lack of refinement it had...guess that could be called "character" I suppose. Overal I decided it wasn't what I'd want. You might feel different...but you won't be sure till you ride one.
ramblerdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #68
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
sounds like

Yeah sounds like you would fit the Harley , but, you don't realize the Stella is way more cool !! If you want a costume bike get a costume bike. If your thing is "profiling" around town a Harley will be ok. If you want to ride and ride and ride, the rental thing is the way to go first. Rent the Harley model you want to buy then spend 6 or 8 hours going about 80 on the highway,see how you feel. Remember, it,s not what you ride, but, how much fun you have.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #69
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

That's why I like the Iron 883 though, it doesn't scream Harley. It's a classic, but without that blinged out chrome "biker" image, which is not me.

And I love my Stella to death! She's not going anywhere, and will remain my around town bike for sure. I don't know if I'll ever do a long trip on a bike, I live just outside of NYC and the highways can get pretty messy when you get near the city. I foresee highway riding being limited to visiting friends a half hour away, that sort of riding.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #70
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
My first harley was a 1996 883 sportster, base version, it had no problem moving my 6' 6" 400 pound butt around, I was not very comfortable on it, but it ran great, never quit and the vibration was a non-issue till you pushed it over 70 mph and power was not a problem either
but I really miss my 97 electra-glide standard

I currently ride a 98 honda helix, which has no problem pulling my still 400 pound butt around, at my size you do not have much choice of what you can ride
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #71
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
you have a go-4 and a wanderlodge thats sick
Old 08-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #72
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Lol, I'm sure at this point that the Iron 883 is at the top of my list. As far as if that'll happen, or realistically be the best choice, is yet to be determined, but it really is what I want.
If that's what you really want then it is what you should get. Though I'll go along with the folks who recommend renting one first. Occassionally what we think we really want doesn't turn otu to be what we thought it was.

Everytime I go into the Aprillia dealership I go and sit on the Mana. They have me on the list to call when they get a demo model in and I'm almost afraid to test ride one since there's a good chance I'll end up leaving with one and I really don't have space for another bike.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #73
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
While I don't consider lack of reliability character, I do consider a lot of other things character. Like vibration, noise, a slightly clunky, imprecise feel to the controls, and just generally a few quirks here and there. The Sportster has all that, and is still reliable. Unfortunately it does not have a kickstarter, and to me that is a loss. Besides the security it provides, I have always considered being able to kickstart your bike to be an important part of the riding experience.

I have never ridden either the W650 or the new Bonneville, but I have sat on them with the engine running. It felt like sitting on a sewing machine. No vibration, and very little noise. Absolutely no comparison to the old Bonneville, which made a beautiful, and somewhat loud noise, and the vibration would almost shake your teeth out, and had a somewhat clunky transmission. What Triumph should have done was keep those traits, and just made it reliable. A Sportster still has those characteristics, and it is reliable. A bike doesn't have to be boring to be reliable.

And yes, having an emotional bond with your motorcycle is also part of riding for me. Unfortunately most of the bikes I have owned have simply been too bland to have any actual feelings about. I have never had an emotional attachment to an Asian motorcycle. I have enjoyed many of them, but never really developed a relationship with them. They all just seem so fake to me. I had a love/hate affair with my '66 Bonneville, but I can see caring more about even a new Bonneville than a new Japanese bike, just because of the name on the tank. But it is still boring. A Royal Enfield would probably not be boring, but it would not be reliable either. So again, if you want both character AND reliability, the Sportster is about it.

I also have a 1971 VeloSolex moped (made in France), a 1977 Puch moped (made in Austria) and of course my Stella, made in India, designed by Vespa. I love all 3 of those, and will not likely ever get rid of them. Unlike Japanese machines, they do provoke an emotional response. They are all quirky and temperamental, but so far have been very reliable. But they are far from being hop on and go machines, and require a lot of fiddling and maintenance.

And I do not consider minor issues like tiny oil leaks (the rear wheel on a Stella is always messy, as it was on the Vespas of that era, part of the reason is the 2 stroke exhaust exits right next to the rear wheel. And mine has whitewalls. Or did) and having to fiddle with the choke to get it going. To me it is reliable if it doesn't leave you stranded (and that would include a lot of brand new bikes with fuel injection, ABS, and tube type tires with no centerstand) What do you do on a TU250, or any other bike with tube type tires and no centerstand when you have a flat? At least the Bonnie and Sportster have tubeless tires, and the Enfield has a centerstand. The Stella even has a spare tire already mounted.

I'm not looking for a 2 wheeled car. I want more than transportation from a bike. I want fun. Lots of it. And very few bikes available today provide my definition of fun. The EX500 is fun, but only on curvy roads. It also sounds like a sewing machine. And I am getting to old for the bent over riding position of even a softcore sportbike.

Maybe I should be looking at a Sportster. I'm a little bit big for one, but with a full size seat and forward controls I should fit ok. And not wanting to be part of the "Harley scene" I don't care what riders of big twins think of it. Unlike most Harley riders, I always wear a full face helmet anyway.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #74
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
JerryH, beautiful music starting about 1:00. I was but a small fry in the 1960's but well remember Triumph Twins at full song. If I could buy a Kawasaki W800 it would already be here, likely with a set of those Dunstall replica pipes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYBfkCk4tKY
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #75
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,576
Five W650's on Ebay right now, including a beautiful cafe racer version.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote