Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #106
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
That's revealing - to me.

Now me, I started with a Super Beetle...and ENDED with the Fox. Just that vee-dubs were getting less "people," more money, and less reliable. The Fox was the ex's car; she loved it for the time we were together...three years after the purchase. She had the two-door; I lusted for a wagon. But there was serious consideration VW would leave the States...in 1990 their sales were disastrous.

But...retro always has to have an underlying theme to it. I wouldn't go crank a car because the Model T had a crank.

Would I get a "classic" bike? HELL, NO. A "classic" American cycle had HAND SHIFTING. No-effin-WAY. Did the Japs introduce toe-shiftng, or was it the Brits? Doesn't matter...the old way SUCKED.

The "old" way had you spending a day tuning dual or triple carbs. So...should I bemoan the rise of fuel injection. FARK, NO. I CELEBRATE it.

Nostalgia can be fun. But when it costs in mileage; or demands, as in maintenance or drivability...time to end the game.

Fuel-injected, Japanese-designed, CVT-transmissioned, two-wheeled-vehicles...are where the future is at. As I see it.
Harleys had foot shifts way before any Honda hit our shores..

http://www.classic-car-history.com/h...el-history.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1955-h...ydra-glide.htm

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #107
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

Oddometer: 54
So. Started the motorcycle safety course today, purposely took a Suzuki TU250x to try it out. Holy hell what a soulless machine. The sound, the smell, nothing about it appealed to me. I lusted for lunch break to get back on my Stella.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #108
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Well...then.

Your taste is your taste. Just as mine is my own....aside from the Federalized muffler on the TU250X, which gives a George Jetson burble...I don't know what could be not to like. I found the handling to be superb; the seating roomy and comfy...only thing it lacked was top-end.

For a short time, I had the mistake of having the TU250's earlier big brother, the S650 Savage, a single-cylinder with a carburetor. THAT thing was NOT an easy ride...not when cold. It took almost twenty minutes of warming up before it would pull without backfires or hiccups.

One more reason why I celebrate fuel injection.

You have to find what you like; and build on it. I admit to being puzzled...I don't see much in common between a Stella and a Sportster. Whatever you like is A-OK; but to find it, you have to know what it is and spell it out to people who can get it for you.

Good luck.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #109
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

It had an electrical buzz to it. The engine sounded like a jet muffled by fans. It had a pathetic little rev to it. It smelled like a vacuum cleaner.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #110
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
The smell is the result of what's required by our keepers in Washington.

When you run ethanol gasoline through catalytic converters...you get that smell. Older machines won't have that; because they were built to earlier standards or none at all.

But even H-D has to comply with emissions systems and converters. FWIW.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #111
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

I understand. But at least it doesn't sound like a convection oven.

Maybe I won't find a newer bike that I can deal with. I really had no idea how much I hated FI until yesterday. My Stella has been nameless so far, but I've realized now how intoxicating her aroma is, and this is inspiring names.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #112
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittty View Post
... starting to consider something a little more powerful for my commute and just keep Stella for errands. Have my eye on a Royal Enfield but looks like it might not be what I need :( perhaps the search continues. Kitty
Kittty - Consider scooters with larger wheels like the Honda SH 150i. Larger wheels make a world of diffrence. I did a 7,000 mile tour on a 150cc scooter this summer.

I am very fond of Royal Enfield motorcycles and plan on purchssing one in the spring of '13. If they had CVT transmisions I would think they are perfect. I just watched a documentary called "The Highest Pass" where 350cc Royal Enfields were driven over the highest pass in India, over 18,000 feet! A testament to the riders and machine.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #113
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

That Honda could not be further from what I desire.

No CVT, no plastic, and some rumble and oil and grit.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #114
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
That Honda could not be further from what I desire.
No CVT, no plastic, and some rumble and oil and grit.
I misinterpreted your original post. The Royal Enfield is a great choice.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #115
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:

I can't own something I don't love. I don't have a desire to own a Japanese bike (unless vintage, which isn't in the cards) and I don't feel like buying something to try it out, knowing I won't love it. I test drive things as a technicality, I know what I want before the test drive, if I fall in love, the test drive doesn't mean anything, it's a done deal.

I'm not saying other people don't love them, I know they do. I know people who love Toyotas and Nissans too. But for me, I just can't, it's not me.

That sums it up.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #116
Blue Ridge Wheeltor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
There seems to be a lot of misinformation on here.
Let me start by saying I am no mechanic. I can change oil, change plugs, and other than that I just follow directions.
There is too much emphasis placed on finding a close dealer. With the internet, parts and tech help is a few keystrokes away.
Right now I have four bikes, and will be paring back soon, and can't decide which to let go. I like bikes with soul and character. I do mostly local driving and stay off the highway.

I have a '72 Triumph Bonneville 5 spd. Nice bike, but it may go first. It has sat for a while, and I need to get it together.

'77 HD Cafe Racer. Head turner for sure, but not a real good bike. This will probably end up a weekend piddler. I've owned it since new, so it has history with me.

2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe. Last of the Iron Barrels.
The bad: Crappy drum brakes, though there are mods that make it better.
Crappy electric start, lots of guys remove it.
Horrible OEM tires, but Dunlop K70 is a good, reasonable alternative.
The Good: 65 mpg.
Happy cruising at 55
Backroads bike, loves the twisties.
Huge aftermarket parts.
Cheap, cheap parts.
Dealer network sucks, warranty is not transferable, but it is a simple bike.
Plenty of low mileage bikes on ebay etc priced cheap.

2006 Ural Patrol. My favorite bike. 23,000 mi and no problems. Soul, character, fun. Simple fix bike. Tremendous warranty. Built like a tank. Parts are no problem. Several great dealers around, but none close.

If I could only have one bike, it would be the Ural.
If I could only have one two wheeler, I would sell all and buy a Ural sT solo. Carbs, disc brakes, a modern BMW airhead. Great factory support. Great forum support (www.sovietsteeds.com).

Someone mentioned they hesitated because they were made in Russia. Most of the components are from elsewhere. Alternator is Desno. Ignition is Ducati. Brakes are Brembo, Forks are the same as those on the 750 Guzzi.

Kitty, you have a dealer near Boston that carries a lot of bikes. Might be worth a visit, just keep in mind his prices are higher than most.
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville
Blue Ridge Wheeltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #117
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
Quote:
So. Started the motorcycle safety course today, purposely took a Suzuki TU250x to try it out. Holy hell what a soulless machine. The sound, the smell, nothing about it appealed to me. I lusted for lunch break to get back on my Stella.
I totally agree. I have done a lot of research, and it does look like the Enfield and the Harley are the only 2 relatively modern bikes I would be interested in, but I would want an earlier carbureted model of either one. To me, bikes are about passion, and there is just nothing about modern bikes to be passionate about. They are efficient transportation appliances, but they leave you cold as ice as far as feelings are concerned. The Suzuki S40 is probably the simplist and most antiquated bike the Japanese make. One big cylinder, a carburetor, and as someone mentioned, it requires some fiddling. It also makes a nice sound with an aftermarket pipe.

I have sold my EX500 Ninja since I was last here, as a machine it was drop dead boring, but I loved the kind of riding it was capable of. Unfortunately It just got too painful for me to ride. I could not twist myself up into the necessary riding position it required.

I am considering going in a completely different direction from a Harley, though there are plenty of cheap carbed Sportsters around. I have always loved 2 strokes (my first bike at age 8 was a 2 stroke Bultaco) and may get another. The price on 2 stroke street bikes has gone into orbit, but you can still get 2 stroke dual purpose bikes at reasonable prices. One of these bikes would suit my needs. Premix fuel, hard to start (until you learn how) kickstarter, drum brakes, lots of 2 stroke smoke, and they are greasy and oily. And they make that wonderful 2 stroke sound. Much like a motorcycle equivalent of the Stella (which BTW I will keep forever)

The golden age of scooters, motorcycles, and cars is over, and it will not be back. The last "real" cars were made in the early '70s, before safety bumpers and emissions crap took over. It only got, and is still getting worse from there. Bikes held out a bit longer, but they are now going down the toilet as well. Vespa left a big hole in the scooter scene when they pulled out of the U.S. market, and when they came back, they had the same crap the Japanese were peddling.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #118
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
What about a cafe racer bike someone has already done up and moved on from?
They are around and if properly done, are pretty reliable.
That fills the "authentic" and "reliable" requirements.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #119
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
BTW - I took a 120 mile ride on my Ural today. It was great. I just don't think you would need another speed limited machine. You could use something interstate capable. Maybe the new Royal Enfield fits the bill. It is very different than the RE I had. I hear top speeds ate close to 80mph. Maybe a Ural solo? Still has carbs.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #120
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
all new bikes and most older ones sound like sewing machines with the standard pipes

just buy something old and put a louder exhaust on it