User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
ULY-RPG OP
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 294
belt sanded uly

I wasn't going to post anything about this but, it needs to be shared.

Heading to work 3 weks ago on a familiar road with 2 lanes in each direction and very straight. There was no traffic in my lanes in front or behind me, so I took advantage of it and wicked it up "a lot". That wonderful feeling was interrupted by death shake that came on like a light switch. Unfourtianetly my pathetic skills couldnt quell the shake in time.

Down I went, both the bike and myself staying on the correct side of the double yellow, thankfully. Sliding to a stop after a measured 440 feet. The ULY went 550! I jumped up and ran off the road thinking don't get hit!

After it was all said and done. Only ONE person stopped. He was the fattest, hairiest, ugliest man I have seen outside of television.

I have learned three things.
1. Stop judging people by their apperance.
2. Dress for the slide not the ride. BTW I was in full gear wearing MX boots also.
3. Do not wear a backpack! It interferes with the operation of saftey equipment.

I suffered minor burns through the suit to my arm and ribs on the left side. All the gear was destroyed allowing me to walk away, humbled and wiser
The backpack flipped me to my front side, or at least that's what it felt like.
As far as the ULY, the insurance bought it from me.

The gear is getting donated to the local MSF instructor this saturday hoping that it will serve as an important learning tool. New riders will hopefully see the importance of ATGATT!!!!!

Ride sarely everyone

ULY-RPG screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 12:41 PM Reason: I fear the grammar nazi.
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
palinka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULY-RPG View Post
I wasn't going to post anything about this but, it needs to be shared.

Heading to work 3 weks ago on a familiar road with 2 lanes in each direction and very straight. There was no traffic in my lanes in front or behind me, so I took advantage of it and wicked it up "a lot". That wonderful feeling was interrupted by death shake that came on like a light switch. Unfourtianetly my pathetic skills couldnt quell the shake in time.

Down I went, both the bike and myself staying on the correct side of the double yellow, thankfully. Sliding to a stop after a measured 440 feet. The ULY went 550! I jumped up and ran off the road thinking don't get hit!

After it was all said and done. Only ONE person stopped. He was the fattest, hairiest, ugliest man I have seen outside of television.

I have learned three things.
1. Stop judging people by their apperance.
2. Dress for the slide not the ride. BTW I was in full gear wearing MX boots also.
3. Do not wear a backpack! It interferes with the operation of saftey equipment.

I suffered minor burns through the suit to my arm and ribs on the left side. All the gear was destroyed allowing me to walk away, humbled and wiser
The backpack flipped me to my front side, or at least that's what it felt like.
As far as the ULY, the insurance bought it from me.

The gear is getting donated to the local MSF instructor this saturday hoping that it will serve as an important learning tool. New riders will hopefully see the importance of ATGATT!!!!!

Ride sarely everyone
Not a bad idea.

And glad to see that you walked away.
palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
rangtangtang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULY-RPG View Post
3. Do not wear a backpack!
Yup, because if you crash here in Uganda, the locals will steal it.

No, seriously. Went down a while back, and with my bike still sliding, I saw one local running off with my backpack, that somehow came off.

Managed to catch up to him and smack him upside the head a few times.

Glad you didnt get hurt though!
rangtangtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangtangtang View Post

No, seriously. Went down a while back, and with my bike still sliding, I saw one local running off with my backpack, that somehow came off.

Hopefully with a nice sized rock.
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
superslomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
550 feet???

How much wick do you carry with you?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangtangtang View Post

Ha, that's about as good as the Rally racer getting bcak on before the deer had figured out he was hit.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
DanAllen
ha-HAA

Oddometer: 80
Glad your not seriously injured, but what was the cause of said shake?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,629
Quote:
Glad your not seriously injured, but what was the cause of said shake?
+1 On all the above. I too question what induced this shake. I used to wick the Uly up a lot and it never did this. I had help from on of our beloved furry woodland creatures in totaling mine.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Judotrip
Torqued to the Max!!

Oddometer: 42
"Yup, because if you crash here in Uganda, the locals will steal it.

Managed to catch up to him and smack him upside the head a few times."

I have been told there are tweekers in the Oregon dunes that will steal anything the breaks down out there.. Kinda like tuskin raiders of sorts...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
ULY-RPG OP
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 294
Sorry for the uber late reply. I have been in kauai and really um, busy.

I believe the head shake came on from the road surface. There were a bunch of small bumps lift like cracks. The other factors were the road started a downhill pitch maybe a few degrees, could have caused the suspension to lengthen out a bit. Finally the rear weight bias, there was very little fuel in the tank and I had some tools strapped to the tail, maybe ducking begind the stock screen caused me to move rearward. I'm not really sure. It never happened before under similar conditions. I tried to quell the shake and moved forward and really squeezed the frame tight with my legs, relaxed my grip on the bars and didn't chop the throttle. It happened very fast and didn't shake for long before the front washed out.

Thanks for all the concern of my well being!

I carried enough wick to burn a candle at both ends that time!
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote