Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
BigEasy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Photo GPS Data tied to map

So I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this because I found an iPhone app that's similar to what I'm lookin for:

While on a trip last week I got to thinking it would be neat if I had a camera that captured GPS locations of a picture, to transfer it to my Zumo track or load it to a google map.

I'm fairly ignorant of this stuff and am trying to expand my knowledge base (man is that a tough job) so any help would be cool. Thanks

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
So I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this because I found an iPhone app that's similar to what I'm lookin for:

While on a trip last week I got to thinking it would be neat if I had a camera that captured GPS locations of a picture, to transfer it to my Zumo track or load it to a google map.

I'm fairly ignorant of this stuff and am trying to expand my knowledge base (man is that a tough job) so any help would be cool. Thanks

There is a couple of ways to do this:
1) Cell phone camera with the ability or app to add GPS location to the photos.
2) A camera with an internal GPS antenna that adds the GPS location to the photos.
3) A GPS unit like the Montana 650 or Oregon 650 that has a built in camera and all pictures are automatically geo tagged.

Option 3 is the easiest and most straight forward, but the downside is limited photo settings compared to a camera.

If you have a ZUMO then option 1 or 2 will work. Get Garmin Basecamp on you computer, download your tracks from the Zumo and import you photos from you SD or microSD card from the camera or phone.

When the track and photos are in the same folder you will automatically see the location along the track where you took the photo and if you click on the photo icon you will see photo.

You can also upload to a place like Dual Sport Maps and see both there as in the example below:
Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,631
in the time my camera didn't have GPS I used to use a tool that would add the EXIF GPS data from my garmin track log.

I can't remember the tool name right now, but I bet a search on google will give your tons of answers. Depends if you run a Mac or PC as well.

The sync happens based on time - so your GPS and Camera date and time needs to be the same.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Almost all Cell Phone cameras capture the GPS co-ordinates for each picture, then you just need software that can read this and show the location of the picture on a map. iPhoto has this ability as does Picasa from Google and I suspect many other programs.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
For about .99 cents you can get MotionX GPS and have GPS and photo tagging ability and all the other stuff MotionX does.
Can download direct in to Google Earth, FB, someone else iPhone or email. I'm pretty technically challenged and it worked for me.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Cameras with built-in GPS sensors are becoming more and more commonplace. This is the route I went with, wound up with this camera:

More info here - http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...ft3/index.html

Its also waterproof, dustproof, freezeproof and shockproof - within reason of course. I haven't tested all these claims extensively, but so far so good!

And a quick example of how easy it is to 'map' photos (on smugmug, no less!)

http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=ge...8333227_R8cXXD
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
SmilinDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
in the time my camera didn't have GPS I used to use a tool that would add the EXIF GPS data from my garmin track log.

I can't remember the tool name right now, but I bet a search on google will give your tons of answers. Depends if you run a Mac or PC as well.

The sync happens based on time - so your GPS and Camera date and time needs to be the same.
I've done the same using gpicsync: http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/

When I used it, it was pretty rudimentary. I think it was even command-line only. Looks like they've got a recent release, so it should be in pretty good shape by now.

I like the approach of post processing the geotags in the EXIF data because it give you a lot more flexibility with regards to which cameras you use. I run a GoPro just taking pictures off of the bar sometimes, but I also like to pull out a prosumer or an DSLR every now and then. It's nice that I can geotag all of them and roll them all up into a .kmz file for Google Earth.
SmilinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
BigEasy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Cameras with built-in GPS sensors are becoming more and more commonplace. This is the route I went with, wound up with this camera:

More info here - http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...ft3/index.html

Its also waterproof, dustproof, freezeproof and shockproof - within reason of course. I haven't tested all these claims extensively, but so far so good!

And a quick example of how easy it is to 'map' photos (on smugmug, no less!)

http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=ge...8333227_R8cXXD

Sweet, exactly the camera I was looking at. I think I can handle that.

OceanMtSea, thanks also. I do have a Zumo and your info will be helpful as well when on bike trips.

I just wish I'd have thought of this a couple months ago.

Thanks guys

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
If you used Garmin BaseCamp you would be able to link your non-geotagged photos to your Tracks using "time-stamps". Of course if the photos are geotagged then they are automatically going to show on the Map in the proper location. Version 4 of BaseCamp when released with have a new feature called Adventures where you can collect your photo's Tracks, Routes, Waypoints, etc. into a single file that you can publish to a new Garmin website call Garmin Adventures. Once published, these Adventures will be downloadable to BaseCamp by anyone and the trip can be "simulated" in BaseCamp using the Playback feature. Once Adventures are available in BaseCamp they will also, at some point, be supported on some of the newer Garmin GPS's - like the Montana Series.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
BigEasy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you used Garmin BaseCamp you would be able to link your non-geotagged photos to your Tracks using "time-stamps".
Cheers,

That's interesting stuff, gotta figure that out. If I can I could possibly salvage/start with the trip I just came off of. Or at least parts because I didn't have the Zumo running full time.