User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
GeckoRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Favorite 90/10 front tire?

Going to have to get back to that real world and pay for my time off so my "dirt bike" is going to pull commuter/lane splitting duty while I work for the man.

I've glanced over the big tire thread here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389662 but it seems most of the opinions are about ADV riding (duh!). Mostly sold on the K60 for the rear, but not sure about the front.

So looking for a front with long wear, good tarmac manners, and passable light dirt/gravel, not spooky in the rain, where price is not much of an issue as long as it wears well. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 365
me Too

I have the same question. I had a R1200GS but ran torances on it.The tourance is pretty much a road tyre.
last bike was 650 xchallenge and I really liked the saharas that it came with. Great confidence on gravel and no worries on wet roads. I have just purchased f800gs. It came with tourance tyres. great on the road but I di dnot like them on my one ride on gravel. I have a TKC80 that would fit it but I do not trust them in the wet. My mate with a KTM 950 swears by the Pirelli MT90. Not as knobbly as TKC 80 and yet better than most in Gravel. Cheaper than the saharah and good road manners in wet. I have one to put on the front but not on yet. Will let you know.
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,810
I put a set of Shinko 705's on my F800. I think they do pretty well on the stone roads, more (dirt) aggressive then the stock (Ankee 2) tires, but still perform well on the road.

But every thread has a BUTT.... If you ride them like them like a crotch rocket, they are going to show wear pretty quick.
My Ankee 2's went 6000 miles, (some people would have rode them another 2K miles) but the shinko's aren't going to last as long. I bet they will go 75% of what a Ankee 2 would do.

And the price is right. Just be careful, the original rear 705 was not radial, and they would split between tread bars. The new ones (radial) seem to be holding up better, but there are still some non radial 705's in the dealer pipe stream.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Thumb Scorp Trials

I've been using Pirelli Scorpion Trails lately for commuting (100 miles/day) and light/medium dirt work. Did the Hunter Mountain route into Death Valley with them - some sand, lots of gravel and washboard - and have banged around on the local fire roads as well. They rocked. Got 6k miles out of my first rear, now onto the second one. Front has over 8k and still going strong. Work great in the wet, too.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,669
Anakee2, amazing tyre. It really is a 90/50 tyre, compared to most. Street manners are impeccable and on the dirt it only lacks on sand/mud/soft ground. However, my experience comes from having it fitted on a 1.85 rim which is a bit narrower than yours. On said rim it has a narrow profile which helps it to dig in and track straight.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Ditto Anakee IIs are amazing street oriented adventure tires. Fantastic in wet pavement and you can lean them over on dry pavement like a sport bike.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
djaabrams
BMW GS Addicted

Oddometer: 49
Try the Heidenau K60 Scout

I have been running the Heidenau K60 Scout tires on my F800GS for 3500 miles. They are very long wearing from what I've heard. There is no visible wear on the front tire after 3500 miles. They stick like glue in the rain. They are considered a 50/50 tire and some folks might find the front tire a little buzzy or whiney, but I have not noticed it yet. My girlfriend has them on her F650GS (2002 single) and really likes them too.

Now my disclaimer. They are very hard tires and will NOT stick like TKC 80's or Pirelli Scorpion Trails in the twisties. I have pushed them pretty hard with no spooky episides, but my friend and adventure motojournalist Bill Dragoo took a Lee Parks class on his R12GSA with Heidenau's on it and crashed. Bill was on USA's BMW GS Trophy team in 2010, so I can't blame the rider. He just found the threshold of the tire, and it gave him no warning like a TKC would.

For commuting, some spirited curves, and good trail riding with dirt, rocks and mud, this is your tire. Reports of up to 12,000 miles of use have been written. If you ride your GS like an S1000RR, you will need to be careful. Oh and don't try to mount them yourself. They are too hard to put on with tire irons unless you are the incredible hulk. Bill mounted his, and it took him 3 hours. Prices are considerably less than Anakees and Tourances, at least around me. Let me know if anyone wants more info about my experiences.
'02 BMW R1150GS
'99 BMW R1100S
djaabrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
[QUOTE=djaabrams;19335110]Oh and don't try to mount them yourself. They are too hard to put on with tire irons unless you are the incredible hulk. Bill mounted his, and it took him 3 hours./QUOTE]

HUH?

When I replaced my first set it didn't take me that long.............and I'm slow, old and weak.

I spent more time cleaning the chain.

They are pretty stiff, especially the rear, but if you are carefull about keeping the other bead in the center of the wheel they aren't that bad.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
djaabrams
BMW GS Addicted

Oddometer: 49
Mounting K60's

I never tried it...just going off of hearsay. Maybe next time I will brave it. Or you can come help me and I'll buy the beer and ribs...
'02 BMW R1150GS
'99 BMW R1100S
djaabrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by djaabrams View Post
I never tried it...just going off of hearsay. Maybe next time I will brave it. Or you can come help me and I'll buy the beer and ribs...

BEER and RIBS

lately it's the time away from work to ride the bike that's the problem. at this rate I'll get 2 years on this set.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
GeckoRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Thanks for all the tips. Going to take sometime to digest everything before I pick my weapon. Won't have a garage space until the start of Sept anyway and i have some tread left.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #12
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
If you haven't decided yet, here's another vote for the anakee IIs. They wear very well, handle great on tarmac and are mostly okay on gravel and mud (as long as the terrain is dry). Anything wet offroad on those and you are asking for trouble.
sarathmenon is online now   Reply With Quote