User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
So, I bought a Beta TR32

I got it from a fellow inmate for a fair price. It starts and rides fine as is but I'd like to do a few things to it. I'd like to find the original speedometer and cable and also a left side crankcase cover (as you can see mine has been cracked and repaired). I know nothing about this bike. Do some TR34 parts fit? It should make a nice winter project.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
Have you seen this post?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886658
Trouble with parts is we are on our third importer since this was new.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
Nice!

Glad to see that these old crocks are still out there, and not just in my nor in Lineaway's yards.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
sadly there are not many parts available for this machine, but used you will get on the older continent with a little search nearly everything. Look up national "Craiglists" + Fleabay in France and especially Italy. The UK is also a good resource.

Be careful with the TR33 or TR 34 parts some will fit some not even when looking the same on first spot, best idea would be to compare the part lists then it's easy to figure out when the number for the different models match.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSchrauber View Post
sadly there are not many parts available for this machine, but used you will get on the older continent with a little search nearly everything. Look up national "Craiglists" + Fleabay in France and especially Italy. The UK is also a good resource.

Be careful with the TR33 or TR 34 parts some will fit some not even when looking the same on first spot, best idea would be to compare the part lists then it's easy to figure out when the number for the different models match.

Thanks. Where can I get this parts list? Do you know if the 32, 33, 34 engines are interchangeable?

Do you know what tires came with this bike?

After I ride it for a bit I might take it apart completely and paint/polish/detail it. That way I could still use it as garage art if parts become totally unavailable.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

It would make a great vintage bike for ITSA monoshock class.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Tires where Michelin trials competition 21 x 2,75 front and 18 x 4,00 back.

I will send You an PN about an complete TR 32 engine that is on display in Italian craiglist, the rest is up to you,
best way to get in contact is by phone and ... well ... some Italian ...

I don't have the part list from the Beta TR 32.

The engines are partly interchangeable, the the TR 34 is much different to the Beta TR 33 there are more parts interchangeable.

The Beta TR 34 is very nice, lots of grunt but still torquie, I sadly have no experience with the TR 32.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Tires where Michelin trials competition 21 x 2,75 front and 18 x 4,00 back.

I will send You an PN about an complete TR 32 engine that is on display in Italian craiglist, the rest is up to you,
best way to get in contact is by phone and ... well ... some Italian ...

I don't have the part list from the Beta TR 32.

The engines are partly interchangeable, the the TR 34 is much different to the Beta TR 33 there are more parts interchangeable.

The Beta TR 34 is very nice, lots of grunt but still torquie, I sadly have no experience with the TR 32.
Thank you! Do you know if a complete 33 or 34 would fit in a 32 frame? Also, I read that Suzuki motors were used in some models, might they fit my frame? Actually, my motor is fine for now except for the repaired left case cover. I'm just planning ahead at this time. I own a home on an island in the Columbia River, this bike will be great to keep there to putt around on when the weather cooperates.

On the Craigslist link I see the cover I need in a box of parts. Just need to figure out how to deal with someone in italian. Ron
Old 12-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Never used a Suzuki engine in a trials bike. I doubt you will wear this motor out. There are well built and last if not abused.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
Thank you! Do you know if a complete 33 or 34 would fit in a 32 frame? Also, I read that Suzuki motors were used in some models, might they fit my frame? Actually, my motor is fine for now except for the repaired left case cover. I'm just planning ahead at this time. I own a home on an island in the Columbia River, this bike will be great to keep there to putt around on when the weather cooperates.

On the Craigslist link I see the cover I need in a box of parts. Just need to figure out how to deal with someone in italian. Ron
Mmmh Suzuki, never heard, ... I personal try to use what I have and go from there, parts that are missing I try to search up, if they does not more exist like pistons and con-rods ... they has to be custom made. Luckily not the biggest deal where I live.

The best way to trade with them is to call them first, watch out the time zone 6:00 - 7:00 PM in Italy is good. Then send an E-Mail ...

The engines are pretty identical from outer dimensions I think, btw. if the cases are proper welded together why not do some finishing job to get them look as new again. I had the same problem with my Bultaco side cases:

Everything is repairable ...
Old 12-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Mmmh Suzuki, never heard, ... I personal try to use what I have and go from there, parts that are missing I try to search up, if they does not more exist like pistons and con-rods ... they has to be custom made. Luckily not the biggest deal where I live.

The best way to trade with them is to call them first, watch out the time zone 6:00 - 7:00 PM in Italy is good. Then send an E-Mail ...

The engines are pretty identical from outer dimensions I think, btw. if the cases are proper welded together why not do some finishing job to get them look as new again. I had the same problem with my Bultaco side cases:

Everything is repairable ...
I'm a good welder/fabricator but I can't make a repair like you did as the word "Beta" is welded half way up. I'd much rather source another case so I have a nice looking finished project. I'd love to see more of your Bultaco, do you have a build thread somewhere?

I have a feeling my bike is still wearing the original tires, I'll check the build dates when I get time.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 656
BTW, the repair on the Bultaco side case is beautiful!
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I'm a good welder/fabricator but I can't make a repair like you did as the word "Beta" is welded half way up. I'd much rather source another case so I have a nice looking finished project. I'd love to see more of your Bultaco, do you have a build thread somewhere?

I have a feeling my bike is still wearing the original tires, I'll check the build dates when I get time.
Yep, I send you an PM for the link.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,731
May I ask what your ultimate plans are for this scoot? A restoration is nice and all, but IMHO that is about as exciting as watching grass die. Garage Art is a horrid way for that thing to wind up, once again just my opinion. Motorcycles are much more beautiful when in motion than they are static. Competition-bred bikes even more so. Lineaway suggested earlier that the bike is eligible for ITSA competition. Do you have any desire to compete on your TR with your local club or with ITSA? If so, I would spiff it up some, make sure that it had fresh fluids, tires, a good tune, then ride the hell out of it, battle scars and all. Competition stories are cool. Bike show/Art stories are a good cure for insomnia. That is a fact.

All that being said, I do understand the position that your are in. I have a '96 Montesa 314R that needs quite a bit of work, not the least of which is a new top-end which is all but non-existent. Even if I get the parts necessary to overhaul the old crock, it is not eligible for any form of Vintage competition currently being held here in North America. Best case, it will become a "Beer Disposal Unit", used by me or friends to invade other competitors campsites at our local Trials events to relieve them of their excess beer inventory. That will do until it is eligible for competition somewhere. Point being, it will never be "Art".

Once again, all this is merely my 2 cents. Your TR32 is just too neat to be parked on a shelf. There are not a whole lot of those around anymore. Even if it runs halfway decent now, ride it. Go trail riding. Compete on it. Take pictures. Make memories with it.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

+1