Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #106
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Question Serious noob to Beta

Evo 300
This is the closest I have had to a new bike. It was previously a competition bike and has typical war damage. I'm confident in the upkeep and I would like to keep it in very good condition. The motor seems nice and fires up and revs out with little effort. I'm unsure of peculiar upkeep of modern trials bikes but have been told to 'ride it and forget it' other than normal maintenance. What is the normal maintenance for this rig, other than what the manual recommends?
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #107
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Keep the air filter clean, change the transmission oil every 20 hrs or so. grease the linkage twice a year. Replace broken or damaged parts as needed. Ride, ride ride, and ride it again.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #108
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
oh, and tighten the fender screws every other ride. Seriously though, check all the screws/bolts/nuts every now and then.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:03 AM   #109
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm on it!
Bought two new air filters with the bike along with most of the armor availible, trying to keep nicks and scratches to a minimum.
I really love Italian bikes, My other is a Husky WR and its another bullit-proof thoroughbred.
This forum has provided me hours of information and entertainment. I thank you all for the effort that makes a site like this possible. Rich
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #110
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,062
I really love the feel, sound, etc of GasGas bikes (I have two). I never refuse an offer to ride bikes, however, so I've had the privilege of sampling a good number of Betas. I helped optimize an older Rev 3 so I know what they've improved.

I find impressive the later-model Beta's ability to turn a very tight line yet not feel squirrely in the front end. Not sure exactly how they do that (some rake/trail subtlety), but it is impressive. I like my steering to be very neutral, so I appreciate the typical GasGas stability, and also set my bikes up to steer a shade slow. I find I have to hop some corners Neil, Justin, Ron, and others turn. The difference is minor, and maybe inside variances in setup, but I do like the way Betas handle.

The left-side kick is good for me, though the right side chain drive is not, because there are too many functions on the left making my requisite left-side brake a big technical challenge. Not saying I can't do it... I can. It's just harder.

I don't favor the plastic, however, either with that integrated plastic front fender bracket or the really angular rear fender. Both seem more vulnerable than GasGas plastic, and I hear Beta riders bitch about the expense of new plastic after mauling theirs.

And the things are pretty. I especially like the red-frame ones or that factory one I saw with blue rims.

In my area Beta is coming on strong, so it's - I'm guessing - GasGas still first in numbers sold with Beta second and the rest trailing by a lot. Good to see Beta doing very well, and if they keep the good work up they will continue to make converts.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #111
somethingnuw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong, this is a great program!!

For example, by changing the shock instead of buying one later saves me about $300.

I am totally stoked about getting a custom bike and not ending up with a box of useless take-offs!
Gordy excuse im ignorance im very new noobe to this trials stuff but do the beta's coming to Canada go through the same process?
somethingnuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #112
Gordy OP
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingnuw View Post
Gordy excuse im ignorance im very new noobe to this trials stuff but do the beta's coming to Canada go through the same process?
No problem. I'm not sure, but here is the current link.

http://www.americanbeta.com/byob/MotoTrial

and, if you send them an e-mail here they should get back to you.

BYOB@americanbeta.com

Tim Pilg is in charge of this and was nothing short of phenomenal when he built mine. He will personally contact you and keep you informed. It's a great process IMO and one reason that Beta is doing so well (other than building great bikes).
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #113
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Just went there. The BYOB program is cool. I almost went that route to buy a Beta 350RS, but then decided I still like my KLX330S a bunch and the money went into a trials bike.

This year's Betas are black/white and no 280 is offered (how long has that been?). I've ridden the 300 and it's pretty smooth, but it's still a 300. If I were Beta buying I'd go for the 250 with only a little doubt if I rode mostly high altitude, which would mellow the 300 to be like a 250/280.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #114
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Evil Evo

Snow's melting!
Trying not to kill myself on this bike. To say I was 'in for a surprise' is a serious understatement.
A slight whiskey throttle and the bike left me in the mud today.
Any gear will wheelie with throttle only.
It has my complete respect. I may stay in sixth till I gain expertise.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #115
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Canadian Beta Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingnuw View Post
Howdy

Mountain Motorcycle is the importer for Canada. I bought my Evo from outlawtrials.com in Vernon, BC. Dave's a nice guy and will answer all your questions. I'm not sure if they have a BYOB program like AmericanBeta does, I'm guessing not.

Dave treated me well and shipped the bike directly to me in the crate. He provides some Opti 2 stroke oil, Opti crankcase oil, air filter oil, and some grease to get you started.

I'd buy from him again.

Garrett
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 AM   #116
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Beta Down...

Something broke that engages the kick starter today. I have the left side cover off and the clutch plates out. Need to find a way to hold the basket while loosening the nut. The problem lies behind that.
Boy I sure wish I had a repair manual, or at least a parts schematic.
One good thing though, Its the bike thats broke and not my bones.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #117
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
Something broke that engages the kick starter today. I have the left side cover off and the clutch plates out. Need to find a way to hold the basket while loosening the nut. The problem lies behind that.
Boy I sure wish I had a repair manual, or at least a parts schematic.
One good thing though, Its the bike thats broke and not my bones.
AmericanBeta has the parts schematics here.

http://www.americanbeta.com/node/708
Old 02-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #118
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh kood View Post
AmericanBeta has the parts schematics here.

http://www.americanbeta.com/node/708
Thank you.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #119
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 749
Evo 250 Jetting

Had issues yesterday with my Evo starting to smoke bad and loose power on long climbs (abusive trail riding not trials). I would stop and let is cool and go again.

I'm guessing the smoke is just oil burring off the mid-pipe when it gets too hot.. I never had issues like this on my Techno or Rev3 .... thinking my jetting is too lean..

Is there a standard "go to" jetting for the Evo? I always when up on size on the pilot on older Betas.

Thanks...
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #120
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
Had issues yesterday with my Evo starting to smoke bad and loose power on long climbs (abusive trail riding not trials). I would stop and let is cool and go again.

I'm guessing the smoke is just oil burring off the mid-pipe when it gets too hot.. I never had issues like this on my Techno or Rev3 .... thinking my jetting is too lean..

Is there a standard "go to" jetting for the Evo? I always when up on size on the pilot on older Betas.

Thanks...
How does the plug look?
I was quite surprised to find that at 80;1 my bike was running rich with even some unburned droplets of oil on the inside of the head. I haven't really run it hard yet so things may change. Also the inside of the exhaust is exceptionaly clean, which seems counterintuitive.