User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #1
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,271
Duc 620 Multistrada - educate me

Okay, I got an itch, and I decided that a 620 Multi is the right medicine for it.

My issue is finding one. There are two near me. One is 620 Dark 2006 with 30k miles on it, and the 30k service done at the dealer (selling dealer). The other is 2006 and has 5k on it, with no service record.

The difference in price is couple of grand.

That being said, the 30k bike has always been maintained at a dealer.

How long do these machines run for?
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
The 620 is a pretty durable engine. I had one for a while, and loved it. Nice light bike, more torque than I expected from a 620 twin, and handles great. At 5000 miles it's not quite ready for its first valve check, but I would ask when the belts were changed. Ideally, they should be changed every 12,000 miles/2 years, whichever comes first. I've allowed some latitude with those numbers without issue, but with the 620 being an '05-06 model year, if I were looking I'd really get those belts changed. That, and probably an oil change and chain cleaning/lube may be all it needs.
Are the bikes comparably equipped? The suspension is a weak point on the 620 MTS, as is the seat. It may be worthwhile to consider any upgrades. Hard luggage can be pricey for the MTS, too, so if one comes so equipped, something to think about.
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal View Post
The 620 is a pretty durable engine. I had one for a while, and loved it. Nice light bike, more torque than I expected from a 620 twin, and handles great. At 5000 miles it's not quite ready for its first valve check, but I would ask when the belts were changed. Ideally, they should be changed every 12,000 miles/2 years, whichever comes first. I've allowed some latitude with those numbers without issue, but with the 620 being an '05-06 model year, if I were looking I'd really get those belts changed. That, and probably an oil change and chain cleaning/lube may be all it needs.
Are the bikes comparably equipped? The suspension is a weak point on the 620 MTS, as is the seat. It may be worthwhile to consider any upgrades. Hard luggage can be pricey for the MTS, too, so if one comes so equipped, something to think about.
The one with 5k miles has two matching sidecases. The 30k miles has nothing.

I also found a 2006 with 9k miles that started as Dark, but had Touring S luggage added afterwards.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
ilvecchio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
My MTS 620 has 45,000 miles on it with no serious problems. It has had two minor oil leaks fixed by the dealer. And there was one dead battery down on the Oregon coast - but that wasn't the bikes fault. The bike was just checked over by the my local dealer (Ducati Bellevue) and only two of the valves were out of spec.

One thing to check is the fuel tank. Some tanks have expanded due as a result of ethanol. My dealer contacted Ducati and the tank was replaced free. I had the tank coated with Caswell before installation so the problem should be fixed. Just something to check.

Overall, I am very happy with the bike and plan to keep riding it.
ilvecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Thanks for letting me know.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I just got one a few months ago, and so far am loving it. As to longevity, I can only relate what I found in my online research, which was mostly very positive.

There's been problems with tanks, but the 620's are generally so well priced that the gamble seems worth it. I could replace a tank out of my own pocket and still feel like I got an excellent value.

Mine came with upgraded suspension. It might be the best handling bike I've ridden. The power is adequate, especially in the middle range, but does not have much top end, which makes it a good bike for folks like me who rarely exceed 80 mph. It'll cruise at 90 but you'll feel the vibes.

I could have gone for a dark but wanted the two front rotors. Truck pulled out in front of me on my ride a few days ago, it was a close call. With one rotor I think I would have T-boned him. Of course, with ABS, I probably wouldn't have broken a sweat. I definitely broke a sweat.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Like you, I no longer seek triple digits thrills. I also found a 2007 1100DS, but the insurance on that sucker is three times as expensive.

I do 80mph on my WR250R, so 80mph on the 620 is going to be way more comfortable.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

So, a little torn.

The choices are:

2006 620 red with side bags and 5k miles at $6k

2006 620 black no bags, 4k miles at $4.5k

2007 1100S red, no bags, 9k miles at $5k
Old 08-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Assuming all are clean they would all be good choices.

The miles prob don't matter much. I have ridden an 1100 with 25K miles that rode like new. An inmate at the multistrada.net forum got 120,000 miles out of his 1000, when the valve seats got a bit worn so rather than recondition the heads he fitted an 1100 engine and kept riding.

The 1100s is arguably best of breed. Wet clutch, rubber mounted 'bars, Ohlins fork and shock with remote adjuster. That nice Swedish suspension needs extra TLC though, compared with the standard stuff on the 620s. I believe the bigger bikes' fuel tanks have a valve that makes them easier to top up.

The OEM bags come up used from time to time and if you don't need OEM looks then a much sturdier solution is available from strada avventurosa.

The centre stand was an optional extra that sold out early. They are now hard to find. If you need one and one of your options has one, that could give you direction.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

The 1100 has a rebuilt title. The others are clean.

Center stand does not bother me - I have a bike jack in the garage if I need it.

Bags are a plus, but I'm open to soft bags if the need arises.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Kelly Blue Book for a 620 red is $4,000. A couple hundred less for a Dark. You can use KBB as a negotiating point to try to get the price down.

My 620 has suspension components from the 1000, and to me that's what makes it absolutely brilliant. But I haven't ridden a 620 with factory suspension so I don't know how much of a compromise it is.

I can see why you're torn. If you're trying to save money, really value the side bags, and don't plan on pushing it like a sport bike, I'd suggest trying to get the red 620 down to $4,500. More than that, you're overpaying.

But that 1100 sounds great too.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

I can get the 620 Black for $4379 out the door, with all fees.

No bags, but less than 4k miles.

The red one is sweet, but he will not come down on price by more than a couple hundred.

The 1100 is the best deal, if I don't plan to sell it. But, the insurance on it is way more than the 620.

As for the suspension, I'm lucky to be in the ideal range for stock suspension at 165lbs. I have yet to have to upgrade suspension on anything.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
squid vicious
weak sauce

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
So, a little torn.

The choices are:

2006 620 red with side bags and 5k miles at $6k

2006 620 black no bags, 4k miles at $4.5k

2007 1100S red, no bags, 9k miles at $5k
a set of bags and racks (like hepco becker) can be had for about (or less than) the price difference on those two 620s. I'd say go for the black one.

Also, belts on these are $100 in parts and a one-beer job. Don't fret too much if there's no record of having them changed. Just grab a pair of belts and spend an hour bonding with the bike.
squid vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I'd go with the 1100s, given those choices. The suspension improvement is noticeable, even at your weight. I weight about 175, and now have a 1000 MTS with an Ohlins fork. The stock 620 I had can't compare. As has been mentioned, you can find hard luggage from sources other than Ducati. That's a great price for that bike, my 2 cents.
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal View Post
I'd go with the 1100s, given those choices. The suspension improvement is noticeable, even at your weight. I weight about 175, and now have a 1000 MTS with an Ohlins fork. The stock 620 I had can't compare. As has been mentioned, you can find hard luggage from sources other than Ducati. That's a great price for that bike, my 2 cents.
Even with rebuilt title?