Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #76
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
The 1111FZ is just the arms as seen here. .
I may add that to mine. I don't like top boxes, so I ordered mine with just the bag adapters, but I do like a flat luggage rack for camping gear. That bracket looks like it could support a flat luggage rack like a Top-of-the-line or similar.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #77
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I may add that to mine. I don't like top boxes, so I ordered mine with just the bag adapters, but I do like a flat luggage rack for camping gear. That bracket looks like it could support a flat luggage rack like a Top-of-the-line or similar.
+1. I am going to do the same. The top box will rarely be on my bike - I just need a flat rack surface back there.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #78
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
+1. I am going to do the same. The top box will rarely be on my bike - I just need a flat rack surface back there.
See I'm just the opposite...I know adding a ton of weight that far back up top isn't ideal, but I prefer a top case vs side panniers for two reasons--1) wife won't get on the bike without something behind her (think she's afraid she's going to fall off), and 2) like to keep the bike as slim as possible for lane splitting out here in Cali.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #79
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
On long rides I have already found out I can open the storage compartment to drink some water or grab a snack while riding. The air flow around the bike does not lift open the door when left unlatched but I still did not want to leave it this way. If the door flies open when riding the windblast would probably damage the tether or hinge. There are also times when stopped that I'll want to access the storage compartment or open the gas filler compartment without having to turn off the bike and use the ignition key. I made a key with a knob for this and the key can stay in the lock when I am riding or the bike is out in my garage. This key is not long enough to start the bike.

I started by getting a spare key made. The blank is an Ilco x265, also known as an HD109. This blank is not long enough to turn the ignition switch so a thief could not start the bike. The knob is a standard black plastic cap used on many cleaner or chemical products. When I leave the bike out of sight this key drops into the compartment and is locked away or slips in my jacket with the ignition key.

I cut the key blank down so the completed key knob would fit close to the top of the compartment.

I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and poured it into the cap and set the key upright.

The key in place. The color of the knob blends in with the cover around the lock.
the thing with the key is brilliant.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #80
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
What percent ethanol is allowable according to the owner's manual?

Note I do not want to start a digression into the merits or lack therof of ethanol, I'm just curious how much Honda says is allowable in this particular bike.

thanks.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #81
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
I will say.

I was noticing that you can potentially literally lock yourself out of your motorcycle. Open the storage compartment, remove the key, rummage around in the compartment, lose your key in there, close the lid, and WTF.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #82
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
I will say.

I was noticing that you can potentially literally lock yourself out of your motorcycle. Open the storage compartment, remove the key, rummage around in the compartment, lose your key in there, close the lid, and WTF.
I was thinking that the other day...but hasn't that always been the case with any storage on bikes? Most only require the key to open the compartment, and once you've unlocked it, they key can come out w/ the compartment still open, like underseat storage. It's definitely possible...each of us just has to be mindful to leave the key in while the compartment is open.

The flipside of that is also true...if you leave the key in while digging through the compartment, you could forget to remove the key after you walk away from your bike. Did that my 2nd day at my new job...went to leave at the end of the day, and thought I had lost my keys. Talked to security desk, and someone saw my keys still stuck in the scooter underseat storage lock, pulled them out, and turned them in. So luckily no stolen scooter...just hurt pride.

That's why I like dduelin's solution. If that key gets dropped into the compartment...no biggie cause it's not your ignition key. Also, if you walked away while that was still in, it doesn't really call attention to itself to a passerby.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #83
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
NC700X Ergos

I had a test ride on the NC700X yesterday. Nice bike, but I was dismayed to learn how cramped the rider's area is on a bike with such a long wheelbase. At 6'3" and 215lbs. I expect to make some mods on any bike I own, but the seat design on this bike seems like a potentially impossible challenge for the after maket guys. The rear portion covers the fuel tank access and essentially is a fixed butt-stop for the rider. Tall riders will need that space if they're gonna ride any distance on the bike. Pity, as I'm in the market for a bike in the niche that this one occupies. That seat feels like a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #84
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
I had a test ride on the NC700X yesterday. Nice bike, but I was dismayed to learn how cramped the rider's area is on a bike with such a long wheelbase. At 6'3" and 215lbs. I expect to make some mods on any bike I own, but the seat design on this bike seems like a potentially impossible challenge for the after maket guys. The rear portion covers the fuel tank access and essentially is a fixed butt-stop for the rider. Tall riders will need that space if they're gonna ride any distance on the bike. Pity, as I'm in the market for a bike in the niche that this one occupies. That seat feels like a deal breaker for me.
It was nearly a deal breaker for me too, but I went ahead with the purchase and plan to whip that puppy into submission. I bet Russell will take the challenge on. Till then I have an Airhawk cover stuffed with a temperfoam seat pad. It helps, but as you have deduced, the shape is wrong.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #85
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
It was nearly a deal breaker for me too, but I went ahead with the purchase and plan to whip that puppy into submission. I bet Russell will take the challenge on. Till then I have an Airhawk cover stuffed with a temperfoam seat pad. It helps, but as you have deduced, the shape is wrong.
Maybe I just don't have enough miles on my bike yet, but I think it's a pretty good fit for my frame: 6'1", 240lbs, 34" inseam. But then again...I'm coming from a scooter seat which doesn't have much padding either...
Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #86
xcsp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Thumb

Beemerphile, thanks for all the pics and info on your project 700x! Enjoy following along on this thread.

The fenda extenda looks good & functional, one of the 1st things I had put on my FJR.

Has anyone installed a radiator guard/screen for the 700x? Think that it would be another good accessory.
Found one here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/7454/

I hope to stop by the local Honda dealers in the next few days to check out one of these 700's in person.
xcsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #87
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
It's not my original idea just to be clear. They are popular on bikes like the ST1300 that require a key to lock or unlock/remove panniers.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #88
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcsp View Post
Has anyone installed a radiator guard/screen for the 700x? Think that it would be another good accessory.
Found one here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/7454/.

I have one ordered from Twisted Throttle. I got word that it has shipped. I will get a picture up after the install.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #89
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
I will say.

Just like on every single scooter.
Never happened to me once though in 5+ years and 50k miles+.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #90
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Oh hey, that reminds me. I updated my Progressive policy online. After 3 tries, it was still changing one of the digits in the VIN and calling it a different model. Finally, I just hit accept and called them up right away to correct it. The web site said it would be a few days before I could see my updated policy online but I forgot about it and still need to login tonight and double check everything.
Yeah, it is still wrong and I still can't correct it online. I sent them an email about the problem. I will probably call them again later today.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote