Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #121
swiss-happy OP
Rubberburner Joe

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
A "group" is just a collection of members that can do things that only other members of the group can see such as having their own threads and photos. I doubt much will happen in the group other than sharing what your identity is at each web site.

Go over there and log in. In the upper right row click on "My Profile". About half way or so down the left column is a link to "Join Groups" I think "ADV" is the only one available right now.
We could also make another group called "clueless mechanics"....i will be the main guy there.
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #122
swiss-happy OP
Rubberburner Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
That would make perfect sense, because every time it comes on, my speedo goes blank. Looks like it's going into the shop.
Sorry to hear about this.
Any time the dashboard goes blank, there is no need to diagnose, just claim warranty, send it back to the shop.
That's what I would do.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #123
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss-happy View Post
Sorry to hear about this.
Any time the dashboard goes blank, there is no need to diagnose, just claim warranty, send it back to the shop.
That's what I would do.
Yeah...but it was/still is sooooo new...I'm enjoying riding it too much vs wanting to drop it off for a day or two!

I need to pickup my new Givi screen...maybe I can guilt them into installing that while it's getting this sensor looked at...
Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #124
swiss-happy OP
Rubberburner Joe

Quote:
Yeah...but it was/still is sooooo new...I'm enjoying riding it too much vs wanting to drop it off for a day or two!

I need to pickup my new Givi screen...maybe I can guilt them into installing that while it's getting this sensor looked at...
I had my Honda touring shield installed at the shop. There were some scratches around the bolt holes. I saw them only in the bright sunlight last week.
I'd say, install it yourself.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #125
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss-happy View Post
I had my Honda touring shield installed at the shop. There were some scratches around the bolt holes. I saw them only in the bright sunlight last week.
I'd say, install it yourself.
Don't know that I have the tools at my apt...left a bunch of tools at my parents house in AR before moving to Cali last year. Mostly just kept tools to be used around the home...not auto/bike specific tools.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #126
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Brakes

Ok, all you NC700 owners, I love the bike, it's beautiful, seems very practical, great gas mileage and sounds fun, it's even cheap! But what's with that wimpy front brake?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #127
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
Ok, all you NC700 owners, I love the bike, it's beautiful, seems very practical, great gas mileage and sounds fun, it's even cheap! But what's with that wimpy front brake?
I thought I was going over the handlebars yesterday when a car in front of me hit the brakes coming up to a green light! Again...as a disclaimer, my previous bike was a SYM HD200 scooter...so to me this front brake is AWESOME (non ABS version)
Old 08-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #128
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Don't know that I have the tools at my apt...left a bunch of tools at my parents house in AR before moving to Cali last year. Mostly just kept tools to be used around the home...not auto/bike specific tools.
It just needs an allen wrench. Pick up a set for maybe $10. The hardest part is just grabbing the nylon washers behind the bolts before they have a chance to fall on the ground and get lost.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #129
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
It just needs an allen wrench. Pick up a set for maybe $10. The hardest part is just grabbing the nylon washers behind the bolts before they have a chance to fall on the ground and get lost.
If that's all it is, I've got an allen set. Is there a torque spec on installing these?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #130
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If that's all it is, I've got an allen set. Is there a torque spec on installing these?
I don't know. The bolts came off easy so I just put them back on medium hand-tight. I don't think they need to be on very tight. Just as long as the shield doesn't wobble when you give it a tug.

Oh yeah, they bolt through some rubber-ish oval-ish plugs with the hole on one end of the oval. These can be popped out and flipped upside down to give a "higher" and "lower" position. I *think* I put mine in the lower position.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #131
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
KISS, simplify and add lightness, etc. A recent motorcycle mag test stopped a manual transmission NC700X in 50.5 meters from 70 mph. Do you know where that places it in motorcycles as a whole and what bike(s) do you ride and what braking distance does it give from 70?

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #132
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
When I received my introduction from the mechanic who set up my bike I was told the brakes might feel soft until the new pads get some wear on them. I was egg-shell gentle with everything on the first tank of gas so I don't know how bad they initially were.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #133
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Without ABS it will do a stoppie. How much brake are you looking for?

beemerphile screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 03:33 PM
beemerphile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #134
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
do you guys get the NC700S?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #135
Loomis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
You obviously haven't actually ridden one yet. It brakes so hard that I'm surprised I haven't done a stoppie yet haha. I will say it uses about 80-90% of the fork travel when you mash them. (non abs).