Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #376
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
So you left Fairbanks around 6pm and arrived in Prudhoe at 7:40 am - 13.5 hours straight up the Dalton? After riding 225 miles from TOK to Fairbanks? Is 12 hours pretty typical?

I could compute, but what kinds of general speed did you ride on the Dalton? On the Atigun Pass? How was the road on the far right when you had to move over for trucks? What was the worst road conditions you encountered?

I know you did not ride in the 'daytime', but would you still recommend riding up in the 'evening' (assuming reasonable rest)? Where there any particular downsides?

Re your tires - I take it you liked them. And you never had to air down anywhere?

thanks again,
-ceej
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorton View Post
In June/July it's daylight 24 hours a day north of the Arctic circle. Basically the sun spins around in a circle at the angle your used to seeing at 1PM in the lower 48 - all day long. The author stated as much in the ride report.

I worked in Prudhoe/Deadhorse, summer and winter, seen both extremes.

In Anchorage the sun briefly dips below the horizon in late June/July. The darkest it gets is twilight.

If your going to do this ride, I highly recommend planning it such that you hit Fairbanks at roughly the end of June. You may hit a lot of fog in June. The clearest weather is early August, tends to be dryer. By Sept 1, the snow will be flying in Deadhorse.
Hi dnorton! Thanks for contributing.

ceej, I doubt what we did was typical, yet I'm certain we set no records. We were consistently cruising at 60 mph. Your speed will depend on how much suspension travel you have. We were frequently using all of the KTM suspenders. I rarely exceeded 60 because I didn't want to risk a speeding ticket by exceeding the limit too much. We were warned a wildlife officer patrols the road by airplane in a red and white Piper Cub. He will land in the road to write speed tickets. I also saw another RR here where someone was written for 70 mph this year by an officer in a grey SUV. A couple construction zones, Atigin Pass, and the slippery conditions on the way back kept our speed around 40 mph for periods. The only downside for our riding at night was getting out of synch with normal sleep patterns. I was extremely happy to be riding at night with the low angle sun and the window of excellent weather and magical light. Traffic was lighter at night, though the holiday weekend probably also lessened the truck traffic. The roadway was rarely narrow enough cause any difficulty with passing trucks. I usually slowed and rode close to the right as a courtesy. We had great weather and road conditions. The road can get slippery, but shouldn't be problematic for any DS rider. Street bikes make it up there all the time.

I loved the K60 tires. Good enough everywhere. The front howls on the highway, especially under braking, but I don't mind that. I never air down. This bike is too heavy and the rims too soft.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #377
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
thanks for the hard work of sharing

Finally finished! Whew - pretty emotional at times. The beauty of land and sky and life really gets to me. Difficult to describe to those who don't ride.
I've read (part of) the Art of the Ride Report - but did not realize you were that Dave.
I am so jealous of the weather that you had; on our Pacific Northwest trip (commentary by ol'badger) we got snowed out of Glacier and got rain and low clouds in most of the Canadian Rockies. So disappointing.
I appreciate the camera and processing info - I have much to learn and sufficient desire, I hope. I'll see if I can apply them to my upcoming ride report about Eastern and Central Oregon.
I'll use a lot of your notes and route information as I fine-tune my plans for an AK trip, originally planned for this summer but will have to be later. Given your experience and any info from others, is the end of June a good window? I certainly will not be able to match your mpd - I'm thinking more like 300. I don't have Deadhorse in my plans, but definitely the Arctic Circle. And Top of the World, too.
There are more questions, but I'll do a re-read first.
Sincere thanks once again,
-ceej

PS - people *have* to have told you that your pix looks like Hugh Laurie
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 07:06 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #378
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Yes, I've been to Fairbanks to referee the Midnight Sun Soccer Tournament there; had to drape clothing over the window of the dorm room so we could sleep. Did the same thing in Anchorage several years later.

My question about 'evening' riding was more related to the light (for picture taking) and whether traffic or anything else is different/better. I'd not expect truck hauling to be different, but perhaps those in campers or vans.

Thanks for the suggestion on timing of a trip. If August is dryer, then what are the downsides of mid-to-late July? Freak snowstorm?

Once again, I/we appreciate all the suggestions and sharing of knowledge done by inmates to help make better trip experiences for others.

-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnorton View Post
In June/July it's daylight 24 hours a day north of the Arctic circle. Basically the sun spins around in a circle at the angle your used to seeing at 1PM in the lower 48 - all day long. The author stated as much in the ride report.

I worked in Prudhoe/Deadhorse, summer and winter, seen both extremes.

In Anchorage the sun briefly dips below the horizon in late June/July. The darkest it gets is twilight.

If your going to do this ride, I highly recommend planning it such that you hit Fairbanks at roughly the end of June. You may hit a lot of fog in June. The clearest weather is early August, tends to be dryer. By Sept 1, the snow will be flying in Deadhorse.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #379
dnorton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post

Thanks for the suggestion on timing of a trip. If August is dryer, then what are the downsides of mid-to-late July? Freak snowstorm?

-ceej
I was on the North Slope from mid-May through late September, then again in the winter months after everything was very frozen. I worked on a seismic crew. There is another inmate http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=4161 , who also worked for the same company as I did, but we never worked together. He goes up the haul road all the time, to this day. He would be the best source of information amongst the people who frequent this forum. I haven't been up there for several years.

From May through late August I never encountered snow. June, as I recall could be really foggy, I mean really foggy. Mid-July to mid-August the weather was generally the best. The temperatures could get well into the 70s. The thing is, when it decides to get cold, it goes from summer to winter in about 5-7 days. My crew camped about halfway between Deadhorse and Barrow during the summer, one night we went to bed and while ocean was it's typical self, in the morning it was frozen.

Also be aware that haul road is slick as slick gets when it's wet. Which is why I'd want training wheels on a foggy day

Another suggestion I'd have is to take the Alaska Marine Highway, either on the way up or down. You can get on/off in Skagway and then in Bremerton, WA. The ships are nice, if your into hard core camping they will let you set up a tent on the back deck. Hot food, showers, bar, you be styling. If you don't want to pitch a tent you can either sleep on a lounge chair in side or rent a cabin with bed and private bath.

Have fun, Alaska is a great state.
dnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #380
Cam123
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Reiterating what everyone else has said - WOW.

I was headed out from Philadelphia to Oregon, Washington and Alaska at the end of July and only made it to Forsyth Montana, where I tore a calf muscle while putting the fully-ladened Honda NT700 onto its center stand at a gas station.

What was supposed to be a three-week, 10K mile solo ride turned out to be 5200 in 11 days. Looking at your pictures and words, I am that much more disappointed with having to truncate my adventure. It'll be a couple more years before I can get the time (and my wife's permission) to attempt such a ride again.
Cam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #381
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
For me, taking the Alaska Marine System at the end of my AK ride was the icing on the cake..For me, the scenery was nice, and the sheer scope of Ak was incredible...and I met an absolutely gorgeous woman in AK who was traveling solo. We hit it off and are friends to this day.

Alaska didn't get much better than that for me!

Dave, again, superlative photography. I'm not much into HDR style photography, but your shots really made me sit up and take notice. I may try some of this style on my next trip.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #382
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,387
I just opened facebook to find your rainbow picture being shared and one of them coming from KLIM. I hope this link takes you to where it came from: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...8358657&type=1 It looks like that photo is going to make the Facebook circuit now too. I certainly understand why too

I just realized the photo is attached to PAK-MEISTER Expedition Panniers & Gear - - - aren't your side boxes Jesses?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #383
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,935
Thanks for the heads up Sherri. At least they used the copy with my watermark.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #384
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,387

Those are some pretty cool looking trees.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #385
quackPOT
Grand Master Fu

Oddometer: 112
Thumb

Hi Dave, I just found this thread (not sure how I missed it) and I can't wait to go through all the pages and check out your photos!! Thanks for sharing!
quackPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #386
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Heya Dave,
After talking to you via PM the other night and finding out about your Alaska trip, I went and found the thread and have spent the last several days reading through it... not all in one shot mind you. Phenomenal stuff.
It kind of makes the little 160 mile day trip ride I invited you on seem a bit paltry in comparison.
After that many days on a bike, always moving, the first day back to work must have been a major drag. I nominate you for a lifetime achievement award for this one for sure!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #387
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Dave, I'm only up to day 5 (page 3) but I had to let you know how much I am enjoying your report. As always, your photos are spectacular and the concise storyline compliments their beauty. I've been up and down the same roads you traveled but viewing the scenery through your lense adds an element I didn't realize was possible.

I'd love to meet up with you on the road sometime! Thanks for another stunning RR.

Corey
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #388
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,841
Thumb Fantastic!

Dave,

I am simply in awe of this trip. How you managed to hit virtually everything along the way, riding TWO-UP, fercryinoutloud... Being no stranger to long miles, still, I cannot imagine covering the territory you two did, while stopping often to grab photos well away from the bike - even doing some hiking and climbing... with a passenger aboard. You definitely latched onto a keeper when you wed the lady Helen. It even looks like she was enjoying most of the trip.

Your photographs are absolutely outstanding! Just got through spending more time than I could afford going over the ones in your Smugmug album from this trip. Will go back again to peruse at a more leisurely pace once winter sets in and things slow down. Same with this RR, as I've had to skim over it so far. Wish there were some way to download the entire report, photos and all, and take them to the homeplace (where the internet has yet to arrive, and getting in a winter's supply of firewood still keeps me from having the time to enjoy the photos and report fully) to view during blizzards while enjoying the fruits of my firewood gathering.

Even rushing through, it was entertaining to view the BEFORE the Dalton photo:

...and the AFTER the Dalton photo:

...comparing the inevitable change in wardrobe - and bike's - condition.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #389
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Adventure Cycleworks

Dan goes to work!

Dan is an interesting Alaskan and a great storyteller. It would be enjoyable to hang out here all night...

Dirty bikes...

get washed. (1994klr250 should recognize the BMW F800.)

Hey Dave I finally got a chance to read all of your RR, wow those are some amazing pictures! Thanks for including me in a bit of your report. I was in Valdez on the 4th of July as well, I'm surprised I didn't see Helen and yourself there. It was nice meeting you at ADV cycle works and thanks for looking for my sleeping bag too! Fred.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #390
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Dan does not like preppy ADV riders and clean bikes when they show up at his house He's also from New York...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote