User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
MrBob OP
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
A web page of my own.

I want to create a modest web page to support my remodeling/handyman business. Who's up on the best host and web page creation app? They seem to change often.
I'd like to include photos of my work and some text and I want to be able to make changes easily.
I ain't afeered of internet stuff and think this could be a fun project.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
miguelitro
Chuchaki

Oddometer: 831
I'm about as internet/computer dumb as they come but I used weebly to create this www.marsalinas.com
I realy just want to figure it out now so if I need to do it in the future I may be able to.

Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,302
I use Dotster. Reasonable prices and a very simple web building and publishing program built-in.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,148
Another big vote for Weebly.

I build web sites for a living, and I've gently eased several people who can't afford a pro into Weebly.

And you know what's awesome? They never call me for help. That's how easy Weebly is.

It's a fantastic platform.

Get Weebed:
http://www.weebly.com/

Not a fan of GoDaddy, personally.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
MrBob OP
Certified Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Another big vote for Weebly.

I build web sites for a living, and I've gently eased several people who can't afford a pro into Weebly.

And you know what's awesome? They never call me for help. That's how easy Weebly is.

It's a fantastic platform.

Get Weebed:
http://www.weebly.com/
Not a fan of GoDaddy, personally.
It does look good, but is it ad-free? I don't mind paying for a web building service if I can avoid ads.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
It does look good, but is it ad-free? I don't mind paying for a web building service if I can avoid ads.

No, there are no ads.

The free version has a very small "Built with Weebly" thingy down at the bottom of each page.

The paid version lets you remove the weebly link. Just four bucks a month. A domain name costs a few bucks a year if you don't have one already. (I use and highly recommend name.com if you don't already have a domain name, or if Weebly doesn't sell them.)

I think the freebie version is limited to five pages, too.

You can start building with the freebie version and see what you think, then switch to the paid version when you need it.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
I want to create a modest web page to support my remodeling/handyman business. Who's up on the best host and web page creation app? They seem to change often.
I'd like to include photos of my work and some text and I want to be able to make changes easily.
I build sites for friends and small businesses and here is what I recommend.
Hosting: Hostgator
Domain: Godaddy
Site creation: Learn to use Wordpress. It will take some time to get comfortable with it but you can create almost anything without writing a line of code.

PM me if you need any help.
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:55 PM   #8
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
Site creation: Learn to use Wordpress. It will take some time to get comfortable with it but you can create almost anything without writing a line of code.

The problem with wordpress is when you want it to do anything that isn't exactly what the theme includes. I've had to do some annoying work arounds for something that would be very easy if coded. Also look into security with them, wordpress is the big name out there and I know a handful of friends off the top of my head who have had their site's using it hacked. I wouldn't say this makes wordpress not a valid option, just do research into it like any of these.

To the OP the 2 things I would do are:

Check the sites and make sure they run well, I know people who have had a lot of issues with wix sites running slowely.

If you don't like the design you're making or feel that it needs to be a little fancier maybe hire a designer to just make a few elements for it. I usually do that kinda thing for friends VS my web clients where I build the sites but for the former sometimes a few little graphic elements can really improve a site. Ideally it should take only a few hours max to make and set up so it doesn't mess up your content creation.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,302
I use WYSIWYG Web builder. It is very simple and works a lot like MS.PowerPoint. Check out my site, though not that great, is easy to build and modify. The only issue is initially figuring out how to upload the site. I am computer literate, but no wizard at it for sure.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:07 AM   #10
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post

I use the exact 3 names mentioned. I like how Wordpress is mostly just plugins. Makes things really simple. I will admit, I did have help from a web designer friend of mine getting the hosting set up so, I probably wouldn't be much help. The results are in a link in my sig line.
Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #11
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
I traded a client for about a dozen hours of work and he helped me set up a simple site of my own using a free template- not wordpress, it was html5up. Seems like a good template, and he's shown me how to do the basic stuff like switching out photos, editing content, making some changes to the look of the site in the css, etc. After a lot of research, I got domain name and hosting through namecheap.com- they're very good, and have good support for wordpress or other templates, and excellent prices, you should definitely take a look.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:06 AM   #12
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
I've used hostgator and wordpress for a couple years for my music store and was very pleased. Yes, you're stuck a bit with the templates, but for what your describing, it's more than adequate. The best part is hostgator has great support and wordpress is easy for the novice to have a good looking site.

This last year we upped the performance of our site and went to someone else doing the legwork. Still with hostgator, however. www.yourmusichq.com
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
MrBob OP
Certified Geezer

Thanks everybody. Temporary setback; the guy who I thought would be helping me isn't, so I'm back in research mode.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #14
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Thanks everybody. Temporary setback; the guy who I thought would be helping me isn't, so I'm back in research mode.
If you're curios about wordpress, this is the video series I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jv47_VIBOQ

If you go to the guys website he offers a free .pdf that's a step by step guide.
http://www.tyler-moore.com/

The site I created worked really well for exactly the kind of thing it sounds like you want to do. The only reason I went away from it was that I'm a retailer and wanted to offer more things like online sales, ability to take payments on account, and product feeds from my manufacturers. But for an informational site featuring your services, I think it worked great.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
MrBob OP
Certified Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
If you're curios about wordpress, this is the video series I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jv47_VIBOQ

If you go to the guys website he offers a free .pdf that's a step by step guide.
http://www.tyler-moore.com/

The site I created worked really well for exactly the kind of thing it sounds like you want to do. The only reason I went away from it was that I'm a retailer and wanted to offer more things like online sales, ability to take payments on account, and product feeds from my manufacturers. But for an informational site featuring your services, I think it worked great.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: