User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Interesting smog test today

California requires older cars to get smogged every two years. I took mine in and the owner wanted me to see the results compared to acceptable. She showed me the values (varying speeds and resultant pollutants) and said my car was so low it was as good or better than a new car! She said , you really take care of your vehicles.

Oh, the car: 2002 honda Civic SI, 106k miles. I have run synthetic usually changed every 6 to 10k, put one set of brakes on @ 60 k, and @104k or so put in new plugs, air filter, brakes, air con belt, tranny oil, and the only repair it needed: new front suspension bushings.

The outside is 8 out of 10 with chips, a small dent from a skateboarder, slight pit in windshield . Inside is 6, it's my dog/commute/utility car. I should get it cleaned.

The smog confirmed what I feel driving it: feels like a new car! Impressive.

Definitely got my money's worth out of this, a huge dealer got a bunch at the end of 02 (they were not great sellers), I got it new for 7k under list and paid cash.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,935
You said older car, so I figured it'd be a '78 Delta 88 or something. The U.S. fleet average is 11 years old, so you're right in there. And OBDII works really well.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,686
Washington is dropping their testing next year...because of this....cars don't fail anymore...

Test "tech" told me he's only seen two or three fails in five years...
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Good cars, those have a timing chain so you don't have to pull the front of the engine apart for a belt change. 2002 with 106K miles isn't generally going to be a smog issue, especially from a Honda.

Keep driving the car and enjoying not having a car payment. The smartest financial decision I make is keeping my cars running instead of upgrading every three years like my co-workers.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,898
Not a bad car for 11K.

I had to smog my 03 S2K and I did all the emissions stuff I could think of,

I think the car would have passed regardless.

The tech did spend a lot more time visually inspecting the car then ever before.
He even had one of those bomb inspecting mirrors on stick that he used to look under the car.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
My 1996 F150 with the 300CI six is always way below the average for passing cars in California.

Always runs perfect and never burns oil. New plugs, roter and cap in the 8 years I've had it, thats all that's been done engine wise, and oil changes.
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
My 1996 F150 with the 300CI six is always way below the average for passing cars in California.

Always runs perfect and never burns oil. New plugs, roter and cap in the 8 years I've had it, thats all that's been done engine wise, and oil changes.
I used to be able to pass new-car smog checks with my points-equipped, carbed '72 Chevelle. 'course new car checks were only so stringent in '82, and I spent a lot of time dinking with my car at the time.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
California requires older cars to get smogged every two years ...
Age doesn't matter.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Age doesn't matter.
Newer cars are exempt. Up to 5 years I think.

I think the myth that new cars will never fail smog is pretty funny though. Are people seriously thinking that sensors never fail? Catalytic converters don't go bad? That tuners can't screw it all up? Gas caps don't go bad?
That diesel is completely exempt in some states is near criminal. Worse than the dirtiest coal plants, even in a TDI.

Passing smog with flying colors at 100k should be a given, I just did the same with a 250k Chevrolet of unknown history.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Newer cars are exempt. Up to 5 years I think.

I think the myth that new cars will never fail smog is pretty funny though. Are people seriously thinking that sensors never fail? Catalytic converters don't go bad? That tuners can't screw it all up?
That diesel is completely exempt in some states is near criminal. Worse than the dirtiest coal plants, even in a TDI.

Passing smog with flying colors at 100k should be a given, I just did the same with a 250k Chevrolet of unknown history.
Interesting. I could've sworn my last car got to get smogged on its two year anniversary. I guess Ill find out next year for my current car.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Interesting. I could've sworn my last car got to get smogged on its two year anniversary. I guess Ill find out next year for my current car.
It was changed not too long ago.

"Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification."
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,459
The OIS, onboard inspection system, is being phased in for 2000 and newer vehicles in CA. There is no exhaust emission test. They check the emissions readiness monitors. If more than one isn't set then the car fails.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
cogitate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Not a bad car for 11K.

I had to smog my 03 S2K and I did all the emissions stuff I could think of,

I think the car would have passed regardless.

The tech did spend a lot more time visually inspecting the car then ever before.
He even had one of those bomb inspecting mirrors on stick that he used to look under the car.
I got it for 15.6 out the door with taxes, plates, and 7 year extended warranty. Local dealer wanted 22.4k!

When I lived in Maui they had this inspection every year to register your car . Iirc, about $30, no smog, just make sure your brakes lights signals and horn worked. Total bullshit. I met the shop owner who got it passed in the county legislation and he told me it was just to make money for the local auto shops.

He didn't know how to ride a moto, so I would ride towards him and slam on my brakes and honk my horn for him to get out of my way . He used to tell me if I didn't hit him I would pass

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #14
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,484
. . . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
It was changed not too long ago.

"Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification."
Yep, it's about the revenue, not really about keeping the air clean any more . . . . .

My 1991 Subaru passed emissions, 200K+ miles . . . . . .

Keep those old cars running, don't scrap 'em ! ! !

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 AM   #15
jazzmans
fickt euch

Oddometer: 7,265
anecdotal, with a test group of one but...

I haven't had a car fail smog since oh, 1989?

my 2005 honda is a PZEV and a ULEV, but it doesn't advertise it anywhere, unlike the current fords.

It really just doesn't happen very often, You'll get the 'check engine' light before it'll fail smog, (and if you don't find out 'why' it'll fail because of the light)

jaz

life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Klay-->You know what I mean, you bubble-headed noise-maker.
jazzmans is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: