Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
Pflum OP
Throttle Junkie

Oddometer: 113
5.4 vs 6.2 F250

Think its about time for a new (to me) truck. Im currently driving a 2000 F250 with 7.3 PSD and 6 speed manual. Its been an ok truck but its really starting to nickel and dime me. It has 188k on the clock, just seems like I'm working on it constantly.
Anyway, been looking at 3/4 ton diesels for a while, and the more I think about it, the more a gasser seems like a better choice for me. I don't do any crazy heavy hauling, an occasional Bobcat or tractor, rarely over 10k. I do need an 8 foot bed, extended cab, and 4x4.
So I found two trucks at a dealership near me. One is a 2008 F250, 5.4 liter V8, 56k miles. The other is a 2011 F250, 6.2 liter, 78k miles. Both are pretty basic work trucks. They're asking $20k for the 2008, $22k for the 2011.
I'd like some feedback from current or previous owners, any problems, MPG, towing capability. I've read some on Ford forums, but I trust you guys more
Pflum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,072
No experience with either but just a guy who did a bunch of research to pull an RV.

Keep the 7.3.... fix what needs, the nickel and dime stuff will slow and you'll have a better truck.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 6,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Keep the 7.3.... fix what needs, the nickel and dime stuff will slow and you'll have a better truck.
This.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

Oddometer: 6,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
No experience with either but just a guy who did a bunch of research to pull an RV.

My experience has been with the 5.4 and the 7.3. I agree with the above statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses
Well, money comes and goes; time just goes...
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,225
A good friend has an early 2000's F-250 Super-Duty (come to think of it it might be a 350) 4X4 crew cab with the 5.4. Painfully slow and not fun to drive it is. I keep reminding him that Cummins swaps are possible.
Carlo Muro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,676
You will spend $1000 to change the spark plugs on the 5.4 at the service interval which is 80k miles I believe. This is because some of them are going to break off in the head.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,998
I don't mean to be the turd in the punchbowl, but...

If you're deadset on getting a new(er) truck, then "yes", I believe you are correct...gas is the way to go.

I do a lot of reading on trucks. Which, with $1.09, will get you a cup of coffee. Despite that, I have heard a lot of good things about the 6.2. Many folks, who don't have the time, money or patience for a modern diesel, have opted to go with the 6.2...and have liked it. In fact, there's a guy (on one of the Ford forums) who Hot-Shots with his.

The only thing I can tell you is that, coming from your 7.3, you'd better be prepared to wring that 6.2 out. Of all the things I have read, it seems to tow well, but likes the RPM. Obviously, gas motors are gonna' need the revs, for towing, more than a diesel. But, from my research, that is especially true of the 6.2L.

Happy hunting.

Obligatory YouTube vid (This guy seemed to like it)...

P.S.- If you do decide to look at the 6.2-equipped truck, and even just tow a little, you may want to see if it has the 4.30 rear end.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 11,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
You will spend $1000 to change the spark plugs on the 5.4 at the service interval which is 80k miles I believe. This is because some of them are going to break off in the head.
I thought that was worked out by then? I changed mine in my 02 and while it took 3+ hours none broke.

But the 5.4 is a pooch. If you want a HD truck get an HD engine. I'd rather stick 5k into the 7.3 than 20k (which seems high) into a different truck

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #9
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Ignoring other factors, looking exclusively at the 5.4 or the 6.2 options.
6.2 is the winner. The 5.4 just never really had it out to be a big truck engine. They did what they could to cripple it along, namely making a V10 out of it. Finally stuck a fork in it and came out with the 6.2 engine. The 6.2 was built to be a truck engine, not a stretched car engine.

In a ¾ton truck neither will wow you. Haven driven both over the years (admittedly not back to back) the 5.4 isn't even that impressive in the half ton platforms. And the 5.4 has a checkered past, repeatedly. I remember an old neighbor that ran a plumbing business. The 5.4 service trucks he was looking at were typically listed as "needs engine" or "new engine". I really have not heard many issues from the 6.2 engine. Even those abusing them in the Raptors.

My biggest question is why is a 3 year newer truck only $2k more?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #10
Daz-o-matic
HOT POOP

Oddometer: 352
Where I used to work we had a bare-bones late model Ford F350 crew cab with the 5.4 and an auto tranny, and it was - imho - a horrible truck. Way under powered (even empty), rode like a chuckwagon and got terrible gas mileage. So much so, that our micro-managing company owner banished it to the bottom of the priority list when company trucks were being dispatched for various jobs just so he could save on the fuel bill.

My takeaway was that the 5.4 is a great engine in the F150 (we had a couple and I liked them), but it's a poor contender in a bigger truck. Then again, maybe the gearing was to blame in that particular truck. The two Ford diesels we had (F250 and F350 respectively) had far more jam and used significantly less fuel.
Daz-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 901
A friend of mine has a 2002 F250 with the 5.4. Only reason he still has it is because he's giving it to his step daughter when she gets her license soon. Said it's a real dog towing his 27 foot travel trailer, especially in the hills. Has to wring its neck to wheeze up the hills. He told me that going up one steep, windy hill his wife said "good god, the engine sounds like it wants to explode". He bought a diesel to take over towing duties and couldn't be happier.

The general manager at work bought a F250 with the 5.4 a couple months ago. 4x4 jacked up with big off road wheels yadda yadda (he actually takes it off road since he's an avid hunter). He's already thinking about selling it because his words were "It's a nice truck. Rides smooth and is comfortable but it's gutless as fuck."

I'll offer up another vote to keep the 7.3 you've got already.

If you must go for a gasser, I'd go for the 6.2 since it at least has more oomph than the anemic 5.4.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
plumber mike
Highdive Deepened

Oddometer: 4,438
Wow. Around here, I'm betting guys would give you their 08+ gasser to have the truck you have now. I'd fix it and keep going, especially if it's a manual trans.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #13
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,376
Why not have a shop do a teardown and rebuild of the engine to replace any worn parts they find? It's costly but will pre-empt and give you an essentially fresh engine.

It'll be a lot cheaper then buying a newer truck.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #14
plumber mike
Highdive Deepened

Oddometer: 4,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
Why not have a shop do a teardown and rebuild of the engine to replace any worn parts they find? It's costly but will pre-empt and give you an essentially fresh engine.

It'll be a lot cheaper then buying a newer truck.
It's not uncommon for the 7.3 to go 400k or more without internal repairs. If it's anything like the fords I had, everything but the 7.3 is starting to give him problems.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,676
I don't know if it is true for the 5.4 but the smaller 4.6 in commercial use like Crown Victoria taxis and Lincoln Continental limos is known for an almost absurd life span if maintained. 400k miles isn't unusual.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: