Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 04:38 AM   #1
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,163
Tell me which computer to buy...

A spin on the Windows 8 threads...

I am having a computer replaced due to some damage and "must" spend the money at the store on another computer. They have Macs and Windows computers. My current computer is on Win 7, and my wife's in Win 8. We both avoid using that computer because of the 8.

I'll be getting money for the old laptop and like I said, I "have" to buy another one. Now I'm stuck...either DOUBLE my investment by getting a Mac, or live with a Win 8 machine. Is there another choice? There's nothing else available at the store (no Win 7's that I have seen)/.

Thoughts?
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #2
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Mac, I bought an iMac in 07, still works pretty well. Getting a little slow, might add more ram and see if it fixes it up. Anyone out there with 7 year old PC's that still work with the current windows OS?

Edit: it was the cheapest iMac they made back then. If i knew I was going to have it this long, I would have ponied up for the better model.

trailer Rails screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 04:59 AM
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:50 AM   #3
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I've got a hand me down VAIO Z-series laptop that I upgraded to Win7 a few years ago. It's got a grinding that makes day to day use impossible and a battery that's just about cooked.

I cannot give up that laptop. It's light and powerful (it was top-o-the-line when she bought it for a consulting gig in 07) and a great backup for the things my iPad can't do.

I can't stomach going to Win8. If the time comes to replace the VAIO with another laptop, I will likely go AirBook.

The shortest distance between two points....is not the point.
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #4
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 273
Does your wife's computer have a touch screen? Windows 8 without one is awful, but with one and a keyboard, it works very well. Lenovo makes some nice inexpensive laptops with touch screens that swivel and the Windows surface 2 is very slick although pricey.

My Sony Vaio with Win7 is an over-rated over priced POS.
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

No...wife's computer doesn't have a touch screen. I don't feel the need for a touch screen on a laptop. Why do I want that?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
I hate my macbook. Just can't get used to osx. I'd stay with windows.
bracky72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #7
Cheddarhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Win7 Upgrade....

You "can" buy a Win7 license and install it / have it installed in a laptop...even if it was originally packaged with the Win8 operating system,
Cheddarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #8
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,952
Mac's are great and they're what I use at home, but at work I've got Windows 8. Honestly, I don't see the problem. With Windows 8.1 you can set it to launch straight to the desktop, and if that's not enough there are plenty of cheap/free utilities that put the start button right back where people are used to it and kill the "Metro" UI. Once you do that it's just like Windows 7, but more stable.

If you like Windows, stick with it. I think Macs are nicer, but for email, browsing etc it really doesn't make a huge difference.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Mac's are great and they're what I use at home, but at work I've got Windows 8. Honestly, I don't see the problem. With Windows 8.1 you can set it to launch straight to the desktop, and if that's not enough there are plenty of cheap/free utilities that put the start button right back where people are used to it and kill the "Metro" UI. Once you do that it's just like Windows 7, but more stable.

If you like Windows, stick with it. I think Macs are nicer, but for email, browsing etc it really doesn't make a huge difference.
Yes, a simple "Google" produces lots of information.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Go with a win 8 laptop, and you'll do fine. As for touch screen on a laptop... You can use is like a tablet but have full use of windows behind it, which is very nice. Most of the laptops I have seen with the 'convertible' screen have been rather sleek and hefting it around doesn't seem like much of an issue.

As for issues with windows 8, Microsoft has a lot of tutorials that can get you around the OS quicker than in windows 7 if you want to take the time to learn the shortcuts and macros.

I have a tablet, and desktop with 8.1 and with just about anything I am needing I can find it quicker on my tablet or desktop than my brothers can do on windows 7.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
eric1514
(R)

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
No...wife's computer doesn't have a touch screen. I don't feel the need for a touch screen on a laptop. Why do I want that?
Because Win8 was designed to be used on devices with a touch screen like tablets or phones. It is crippled when you just use a keyboard and a mouse and try to run it like Win7.
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
How much money are we talking here S?
Laptop? Ultrabook? Desktop?

Whatever you get, make sure it has Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, or Haswell Intel processor with at least 8GB ram, and SSD disk.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Build a desktop would save massive amounts of money. Easier than it looks. Just be sure to use anti-static gloves.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post

+1

To the OP have you or your wife called classic shell? It's the most popular program I know to give you a Windows 7 interface. There are small differences but for the most part it'll be the same.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
How much money are we talking here S?
Laptop? Ultrabook? Desktop?

Whatever you get, make sure it has Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, or Haswell Intel processor with at least 8GB ram, and SSD disk.
Not a lot, about $700, but I don't feel like dumping an EXTRA $700 to get a $1400 Mac when I didn't expect to spend anything at all. A hundred or two would be ok, since I'm getting into photography so much. That stuff you talked about...what? I can ONLY get what the Osan Air Base, Korea, AAFES BX has. I don't have the product list but specialty stuff is out the window.

Changing the OS after purchase is of course ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
+1

To the OP have you or your wife called classic shell? It's the most popular program I know to give you a Windows 7 interface. There are small differences but for the most part it'll be the same.
Nikons... we have. It will occasionally bounce back to that damned tablet screen and since I avoid the computer a lot, I will then get lost for 5 minutes looking for a way to get back to the desktop. Shit, I'm 39 not 89 but these youngsters need to get offa my yard!

I am aware of the Google info on "how to make 8.1 like 7" I will try it and see..but first,.. There's a fellow ADVer locally that swears he can teach me "why Win 8 is great" we'll see.

I still don't see why I want a touch screen laptop. What does that do for me?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: