Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #241
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post
Cracker Barrel is only for when my Mother is in town...I thought everybody knew that?

Nice rv.. throw a 318 in her and get many more miles.
Sorry, I'm not a 'Merican. I don't know all the intricacies of Cracker Barrel.

Oddly enough he has a Chev 350 TBI laying around that he wants to put in. He builds trucks for a living so he has the know-how. He also mentioned mud terrain tires and a 12000lb winch.

I'm with you though; a 318 w/727 would be a drop in and much simpler.

I was looking at water on demand showers as well. The easy ones are propane powered. The electric are much more expensive. This has me considering a normal water heater. Very cheap, small and 120V. Easy for a generator to power.
Before I commit to any of this stuff, I'm still holding out for a deal on a camper. Ideally I'll just rob the appliances out of that.
Have any thoughts on that?
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #242
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Sorry, I'm not a 'Merican. I don't know all the intricacies of Cracker Barrel.

I am not fond of their food but most have RV parking ;)

Quote:

I was looking at water on demand showers as well. The easy ones are propane powered. The electric are much more expensive. This has me considering a normal water heater. Very cheap, small and 120V. Easy for a generator to power.
Before I commit to any of this stuff, I'm still holding out for a deal on a camper. Ideally I'll just rob the appliances out of that.
Have any thoughts on that?

I will chime in here and say that I have been using a relatively junky RV for working in the oil patch. It had a series of water leaks and at the last moment I realized that the gas fired water heater had been in a cold climate, froze, and ruptured. Long story short is that I quickly put together a "temporary" arrangement using a smallish apartment-style water heater. It works just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #243
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,044
Truth be told, I have never been in a Cracker Barrel or a Outback... but it sounded good! Haven't been to a Mcdonalds either in ages... Sister Mary Margarets Idea of "roughing" it is no piano bar at the hotel, she's not a camper.

I am excited about my shower setup, $100 or so and hooked up to my pump and propane tank. very simple!

A electric hot water heater will draw a huge load which is fine if you have a big generator, the rv ones are great but a lot more money to buy. there is a guy who put one of these tankless heaters inside his shower and uses it with the roof vent open, said it works great. Mine will be mounted outside.

pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #244
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I ordered the mattress's and my wife found this fabric to cover them in, she said it was manly enough for the trailer and it was on $ale so I love it!

I went with 5 of these hinges per bed instead of the piano hinge, HD piano hinge was really cheap and I couldn't find what I wanted without spending a fortune.

And, I found these to hold the beds up in there storage position.

Mounted up!

And the "wide" body in place,

I ordered the steel for the folding legs and will weld them up soon...
Old 02-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #245
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I still can't find the right countertop....
Old 02-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #246
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 305
Aluminum or stainless steel?
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #247
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterner View Post
Aluminum or stainless steel?
You mean counter top?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #248
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

I just picked up a couple more things for the Transmogrifier. A tool box, some 1" & 3/4" insulation.

I start insulating tomorrow! (Unless I take the trike out on the ice. )

I may have a job now, too, damn it! Was hoping for a few more spa days.

Ill run another idea past the collective:
I'm thinking of using 4" ABS for water storage. The idea is to hang it around the forward perimeter, inside the box. I'll make a 'C' out of it. About 10'(side wall)x8'(front wall)x10'(side wall). That is about 18 gallons. Then I'll run a hose down from it to a sink - so the system will be gravity fed. It's a 7' roof. So I'll have about 3ft of head pressure. It's not much but it'll work. I could always top it up with 5-10 psi of air if I were so inclined.

I have a small wood stove I'm thinking of using when it gets cold. What if I wrapped it and the chimney with copper tube and circulated water through it? That would heat water in the cold season. It'll work, not sure it's worth the effort though. We use miles of copper tube at work. I've never had to price it out though. Probably expensive to get 50' of It. This would be for shower use. In the summer some black PVC hose coiled on the roof should work.

Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #249
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
You mean counter top?
Can you do SS? That'd be the bollocks!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #250
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
You mean counter top?
Do eye?
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #251
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
I just picked up a couple more things for the Transmogrifier. A tool box, some 1" & 3/4" insulation.

I start insulating tomorrow! (Unless I take the trike out on the ice. )

I may have a job now, too, damn it! Was hoping for a few more spa days.

Ill run another idea past the collective:
I'm thinking of using 4" ABS for water storage. The idea is to hang it around the forward perimeter, inside the box. I'll make a 'C' out of it. About 10'(side wall)x8'(front wall)x10'(side wall). That is about 18 gallons. Then I'll run a hose down from it to a sink - so the system will be gravity fed. It's a 7' roof. So I'll have about 3ft of head pressure. It's not much but it'll work. I could always top it up with 5-10 psi of air if I were so inclined.

I have a small wood stove I'm thinking of using when it gets cold. What if I wrapped it and the chimney with copper tube and circulated water through it? That would heat water in the cold season. It'll work, not sure it's worth the effort though. We use miles of copper tube at work. I've never had to price it out though. Probably expensive to get 50' of It. This would be for shower use. In the summer some black PVC hose coiled on the roof should work.

Thoughts?
I had thought about mounting black 4" pipe on the roof so it would heat up as well as give me pressure but was concerned about having the weight up high.

The problems that I have heard about with a wood stove in such a small place is that it gets too hot, they do make small stoves for marine applications which are very cool but also $$$.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #252
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I am going to do copper countertops...just decided.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #253
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
I had thought about mounting black 4" pipe on the roof so it would heat up as well as give me pressure but was concerned about having the weight up high.

The problems that I have heard about with a wood stove in such a small place is that it gets too hot, they do make small stoves for marine applications which are very cool but also $$$.
You have to be careful about getting rid of the carbon monoxide with a setup like that. Around the border many people don't have heat and every winter someone dies from heating with wood or charcoal in an unventilated house.

Conventional RV's usually have both gas heat and electric heat.

I have found that a modern electric space heater is both safe and doesn't use any gas. A gas heater will go through your propane pretty quickly if you use it often.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #254
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
You have to be careful about getting rid of the carbon monoxide with a setup like that. Around the border many people don't have heat and every winter someone dies from heating with wood or charcoal in an unventilated house.

Conventional RV's usually have both gas heat and electric heat.

I have found that a modern electric space heater is both safe and doesn't use any gas. A gas heater will go through your propane pretty quickly if you use it often.

I'll ventilate the area for sure. A wood stove needs to breath so it'll need a fresh air supply. I'll have an electric heater for it but there will be a lot of times when I won't have the generator running all night.

As far as weight up top with the water, the Transmogrifier has a GVW of 7200kg and a Tare of 2600kg. I'm not concerned about putting 40kg or so up high.

Copper will be sweet!

I started insulating tonight and bought flooring.

J
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #255
PirateJohn
Banned

You have a good plan. I am enjoying the details for a possible future project or two for myself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: