User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #31
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,398
I have these "Camo Cots" that I used in my motovan that are stackable bunk beds and if I made new frames and brackets on the walls I could do fold out bunk beds and only take up 2-3" of space on the wall.

They actually were comfortable to sleep on.
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #32
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
figure out what you need to stow in the trailer, then figure out what you want to stow in the trailer, and then go out to your garage floor with a chalk line and lay it out and walk around the space and see how things fit together.

it's not always the amount of space, but rather the shape of the space. does what you want to stow fit the shape?

my toyhauler garage space is 5' x 7.5' and it holds two bikes, a jib crane, cabinets, shelves, etc. it is "snug", but I don't plan on doing a full engine rebuild in there with everything stowed in there at the same time.

ymmv
I like this thinking.

Also, take a look at Geeks build of a Mercedes Sprinter. There were some great ideas in that one. Like a 4 inch PVC pipe mounted on top and running the length of the vehicle. Cap both ends, attach spigot near the rear end and you can attach a camp shower and have warm water (solar heated while you're riding) Obviously you'll have to get the water in somehow so you've got to add that facility somehow.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
It is not a small toyhauler... but I saw some of the options you were originally looking at..

Currently run a 28 foot Class C with 2 slideouts. Pull a 16 foot Trailer for the quads. MPG out of the ford v10 is 8 to 11 depending on how fast I'm running down the road, towing has minimal effect on the mpg, speeds above 65 have the biggest impact.

Full shower, bathroom, kitchen, big beds, 4k generator and lots of storage for tools and supplies makes it a welcome place to live in for days on end when we are ATV'ing.

If your planning a lot of overnight trips with no hookups, it is a valid way to run.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #34
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
It is not a small toyhauler... but I saw some of the options you were originally looking at..

Currently run a 28 foot Class C with 2 slideouts. Pull a 16 foot Trailer for the quads. MPG out of the ford v10 is 8 to 11 depending on how fast I'm running down the road, towing has minimal effect on the mpg, speeds above 65 have the biggest impact.

Full shower, bathroom, kitchen, big beds, 4k generator and lots of storage for tools and supplies makes it a welcome place to live in for days on end when we are ATV'ing.

If your planning a lot of overnight trips with no hookups, it is a valid way to run.
I had a Class C and it did work well, I don't have the parking for one now so am limited to a trailer.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #35
CBACH
Aimless Wanderer

Oddometer: 411
I'm in the same boat at the moment, as I'd like a "smallish" toy hauler but have become disillusioned by what's available on the the market and the cost. I looked at new Work-n-Play's last week and, although the trailer itself is well built, I just can't get over how cheaply/poorly built the interiors are. Apparently they have no QC at the factory, as I found multiple glaring issues that, even when fixed, make me question the longevity. I do have a 3/4 ton diesel, so weight is not a huge concern. I'd be hauling my GS or my Honda Pilot ATV, so it's not that I need a huge space.

So....right know I'm thinking about a slide-in camper from Lance or Arctic Fox and pulling a trailer for the toys. That way if it's just a day trip or a hotel is in the plan, I can just yank the trailer and leave the camper at home. This also lends me the ability to pull a boat if I ever make the idiotic choice to buy another one of those money pits! They make quite a few 1/2 ton slide ins now, so that may be an option for you too

"Well Charley.....how much of a pussy do you feel like now?"
CBACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #36
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I agree on using every square inch of space, I have done a rough plan of what I have been thinking, this is 7x12.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #37
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,869
Quote:
That's not a realistic sketch to build from.

You have no dimensions showing, no allowance for wall thickness, no shadowing for where the bikes stow when underway, how the handlebars interlock / avoid each other / etc.

Your thread title said you wanted a toy hauler, but all you show is a berthing space. And it's a berthing space with a sink but no water tanks, toilet unit, electrical system, cabin lights, dining table, cooking facilities, windows, etc.

What are you going for? A toyhauler or a camper?

Crank up the CAD program. If you don't have one, download Sketch-Up for free and use it.
It's a start if that's what he wants it to look like without the bikes.
But, as you said, he needs to sketch in the bikes, water containers, fuel containers, tools, bags, helmets, boots, tv, radio, microwave etc etc etc.

Moar sketches, moar moar!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #38
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
: nod :

when I built mine from scratch, I did my CAD 3D renderings and would rotate / pivot / flip-flop them until I was mighty darned sure it would work, and only then did I go look at the actual vehicles I was pondering buying.

the size / shape of rig he buys has to fit his needs, a complete and thought out design lets him sort out what needs are critical to have met and what are only wishes hoped for.
Easy Geode...easy...just a start.
I have more sketches(and they are all 3/4"scale drawn correctly to a trailer I measured) and am only in the design phase right now, I'm shopping for a trailer and if it's 7'wide x12' I can do some things and if it's 6x 12 or 14' I would do it another way.

I was hoping people would share some of there ideas they had when building a trailer and would love to see yours! I'm open to any input and even the hillbilly hauler had some great ideas.

I couldn't post any more today because I left work early to ride!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #39
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Alsoo... I have built 3 before this one but want this one to be"high end".

I already have the propane shower unit and have picked a water tank and pump, I know the shower unit and have priced and found the cabinets I could use( but will probably build them myself and am pricing materials now). have looked at floor material and have windows picked out as well.

I am currently building a 10,000 sq ft custom home in Westchester cnty NY and have been in the construction field for 30+ years so am comfortable with this scale project.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #40
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBACH View Post
I'm in the same boat at the moment, as I'd like a "smallish" toy hauler but have become disillusioned by what's available on the the market and the cost. I looked at new Work-n-Play's last week and, although the trailer itself is well built, I just can't get over how cheaply/poorly built the interiors are. Apparently they have no QC at the factory, as I found multiple glaring issues that, even when fixed, make me question the longevity. I do have a 3/4 ton diesel, so weight is not a huge concern. I'd be hauling my GS or my Honda Pilot ATV, so it's not that I need a huge space.

So....right know I'm thinking about a slide-in camper from Lance or Arctic Fox and pulling a trailer for the toys. That way if it's just a day trip or a hotel is in the plan, I can just yank the trailer and leave the camper at home. This also lends me the ability to pull a boat if I ever make the idiotic choice to buy another one of those money pits! They make quite a few 1/2 ton slide ins now, so that may be an option for you too
I thought about the truck camper but need to bring 5 bikes to the races so that would mean a bigger trailer and a truck camper so I'm priced out, again...
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #41
pvangel OP
Team AARP

After getting home at 9pm exhausted from riding and backing the trailer into my tiny parking space I decided 6' wide is what I'm getting. would like it to be 14' long which are harder to find though.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #42
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Working on bike placement during lunch...

Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #43
pvangel OP
Team AARP

2 of my bikes are CRF 150f's so are smaller than shown but I should be able to get 5 full size bikes in a 7x12 as drawn. But I think I'm going to try for the 6x14.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #44
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Here is my plan for the CamO cot bunkbed system I was thinking about, it would only protrude 3" into the trailer when folded up but give you a full 3' bed when out.

Open,

Closed,

Old 08-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #45
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Some great ideas on this site, tiny tear drop forum.

http://www.tnttt.com/

But drop down to the cargo trailer conversions threads.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f...619e44bedb5ff9

Lots of wasted hours ahead to read, but some really nice builds and clever ideas can be found.

Please do post as you progress for us to enjoy the build.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: