User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #46
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,441
Thanks Sailwing! great link just wasted an hr and have a lot more ideas!
pvangel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Found this 6x14 with 6'6 interior height, aluminum frame but over 5k askink price,

Finished interior, I would have to take it all apart to insulate etc.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #48
pvangel OP
Team AARP

A 6x12 thats a little over 4g and no aluminum frame, is 1 grand worth two ft and some aluminum?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #49
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Maybe it is just me, but I always buy white trailers, trucks, vans and most cars. Walk thru any car lot on a sunny day and touch the different colors. Better, buy a digital heat gauge, and test.

We had a Work & Play, solid white wood walls, no insulation, and I could feel the heat on the sunny side. Had a dark blue sailboat that we lived on, and even with insulation I could feel the sunrise warming the hull in the v-berth waking up at anchor.

It might not matter as much in NY, but sure does in TX, NM, UT to me. Have friends with dark colored coaches, and they need lots more cooling than my off white. The dark colors also show ever imperfection, ding and more dirt. I had a dark blue sports car, never again.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #50
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,349
If you can go Aluminum frame over steel, do it. I've got a 6x10 & a 7x14 that I have towed long(er) distance with my Ranger. The 6x10 is steel frame & feels like a tank while towing with the Ranger. Aside from the size of the 7x14, it towed much better, and I actually got better fuel mileage while towing the 7x14.

I know a lot of guys saying that weight isn't a total factor as much as profile\wind, but dropping 500# in weight sure isn't gonna hurt you.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #51
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
Maybe it is just me, but I always buy white trailers, trucks, vans and most cars. Walk thru any car lot on a sunny day and touch the different colors. Better, buy a digital heat gauge, and test.

We had a Work & Play, solid white wood walls, no insulation, and I could feel the heat on the sunny side. Had a dark blue sailboat that we lived on, and even with insulation I could feel the sunrise warming the hull in the v-berth waking up at anchor.

It might not matter as much in NY, but sure does in TX, NM, UT to me. Have friends with dark colored coaches, and they need lots more cooling than my off white. The dark colors also show ever imperfection, ding and more dirt. I had a dark blue sports car, never again.

I don't think it will be an issue here but it is a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
If you can go Aluminum frame over steel, do it. I've got a 6x10 & a 7x14 that I have towed long(er) distance with my Ranger. The 6x10 is steel frame & feels like a tank while towing with the Ranger. Aside from the size of the 7x14, it towed much better, and I actually got better fuel mileage while towing the 7x14.

I know a lot of guys saying that weight isn't a total factor as much as profile\wind, but dropping 500# in weight sure isn't gonna hurt you.

Andrew
I think every pound counts, I looked at the 2 trailers at lunch today and the aluminum was much better built in everyway, tires were better, rims were better,door hinges were better, frame was better, etc but it was about $1500 more so am weighting my options...

I have a race tomorrow at Englishtown NJ so won't be able to do much in the way of trailers this weekend.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #52
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Something about: The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory. Aldo Gucci

You listed more than several reasons for spending $1500 more dollars. When you finish your build all your time and materials will have been on the better trailer.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure

sailwing2003 screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 03:18 PM
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #53
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
Something about: The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory. Aldo Gucci

You listed more than several reasons for spending $1500 more dollars. When you finish your build all your time and materials will have been on the better trailer.
I heard it as "quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."
Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #54
pvangel OP
Team AARP

You guys are right, I'm just so damm cheap in my old age.... I need to practice what I preach.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:06 AM   #55
snofrog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 763
aluminum , white , tandem Torsion axle , electric brakes . the rest are just details
snofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #56
pvangel OP
Team AARP

I'm stuck on a trailer right now, same trailer in different locations are $1000 difference in price. I'm in no rush right now so would prefer to shop for the right one. A grand would go a long way in the build.

My humble 5x8....

everything has it's place and is well organized for the two of us but will bring it up a notch on the next one..
Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #57
pvangel OP
Team AARP

So.... one of the trailer places I went to had a good salesman (they usually don't and barely return a phone call) and he listened to what I wanted and thought he could get a company he deals with (ATC) to build the trailer I want complete for "about" my budget. Well a week goes by and of course I don't hear from him, until today.... He spec'd a trailer and added pretty much what I wanted and although more than I wanted to spend, not that much more? I'm going to follow up with it because I certainly could do it, a "factory" job might be just the ticket.
He said he was away at a trailer show till next week so I'll wait and see...
Old 09-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #58
pvangel OP
Team AARP

"he" never called me back.... I'm going to build one.

The black aluminum trailer was sold but I found one in NJ for a great price, went to look at a different trailer that had sold before I got there (it had been there for over a year and I called about it at noon and it sold at 5 that day) but I think I found a nicer one.

They had a bunch of 7' x 14's but after spending time looking through them I really think I can make efficient space in a 6x12, the key is having a 6'6" interior height because it felt much bigger than. I'm concerned about fuel mileage so light and small and efficient is what I'm thinking.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #59
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Between work and riding and hurricanes and Noreaster's and life I have not done a thing yet but am getting ready to start. First step is to put this on the market,

And then find a trailer....
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #60
pvangel OP
Team AARP

Going to put it here in the FM before I release it to the masses....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: