Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I towed two dual sports all over the country. Had one fall over due to the S loops on tie downs. Then switched everything to the caribiner type that you have to screw closed...no more problems! The S type, supplied with all commercial tie downs suck. Hit a bump, they can let go at a whim!
+1 on full closure ends on the tie downs. S hooks can and will come off!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
ElkSlayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
So should one avoid hitch carriers? See them for about $120 at HF, but this thread has me worried...

Jim
ElkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
This is the type of carrier that viverrid was referring to. I really like mine.

one very postive thing about this carrier is it doesn't have (that much) torsional leverage problem due to unbalanced weight distrbution while loading the bike.
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #19
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I am apalled at the two bike hitch carriers that I see. Apparently folks are thinking stuff like "my vehicle takes a 500 tongue weight and my two dirt bikes only weigh a little more than that.....

But tongue weight is applied directly to the hitch ball. The LEVERAGE of even the first bike (with a roll-on carrier) is applied farther out than a hitch ball would be, magnifying the effect of the load. And a SECOND bike even further out? AWFUL leverage.

I could feel the effect of the weight of a DRZ on our jack-up carrier (on an Xterra) but it wasn't bad. I think 2 bikes on a hitch carrier would be awful. Towing a large landscaper-type trailer (empty weight nearly 1,000 lbs) with the same bike on it, felt like it handled better. More total weight but differently distributed.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #20
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
So should one avoid Harbor Freight?

Jim
Yes. At all costs.

Would you really trust the life of your pride and joy, hanging precariously over the pavement at 70mph, to a cut-rate outsourced overweight under-engineered cheapo hitch carrier?

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #21
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,817
Posting a picture for 177in70s:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 177in70s View Post
300 pound Dual Sport went off hitch carrier on Chevy @ 60 mph:

4 Ancra Tie downs were on snug and stayed hooked to bike, front tire dragged on highway making a long skid mark after a loud low boom. Bike OK, front tire had extra wear on one edge. It spun while dragging. Bike scratched rear door of Suburban.

Why? Fast right hand sweeper wanted bike to go forward as did the main ratchet clamps from 2” receiver up to frame just above and to the rear. The front pair of cam lock clamps don’t do much but tend to twist the channel as bike rocks, it was raining, forgot to put bike in gear, didn’t wrap either tire down to channel, main channel twisted, metal ramp against front tire cocked and front tire suddenly rolled forward by “ramp,” and shot out and down to road. "Cycle Country" brand carrier has a short ramp without sides.

Now: Cam lock front to whimpy cross bar first as before to make bike hands free, ratchets on each side to receiver from frame as before. Add simple straps holding front tire (inboard of cross bar) and rear tire down to channel.

A year ago, had a different "close call." Used a single center ratchet strap, up one side, across and down the other with an extra wrap or two before crossing. Well that wrap slipped and bike tipped about 30 degrees but was still "tight." Now I use a separate ratchet strap for each side.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #22
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Btw... You can rent a perfectly safe motorcyclel trailer from your neighborhood, locally owned UHaul for $12-$18 per day.

Since a higher quality hitch trailer costs around $300

UHaul Trailer $12 per day X 25 different trips = $300

The thing about those hitch trailers (I have one too BTW) is the mou ting bolts are typically mounted 2 to 3 feet away, there are only 3 to 4 of them bolting into the frame. I doubt very many folks have actually taken the time to look at ow their hitch mounts to their vehicle frame. It's pretty chinsey. Like another poster said, you're looking at tongue weight max load. Not total trailer weight. My little hitch mount says it can carry up to 500lbs, but the max tongue weight on the hitch is only 250....
I would Never think of rolling big fat KLR on my hitch mount carrier. No f'in way. Ever.
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #23
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
If it is an enclosed U-Haul trailer don't tell them why you are renting it. They denied a van trailer to me when I said it was to trailer my motorcycle down to SC and back. Which is weird since they give motorcycle hauling instructions for both types. May be the guy was just a nut and this was only two years ago. But he just made me leave the place then come back and start the deal over again without telling him anything about a bike. Like I said, maybe just a nut.

What I like about using U-Haul van trailers is they make great places to stage a ride from at the camp site. My LC4 is a little too tall for a 5x8 so I have to strap the forks to load the bike. But they keep your crap dry and secure and with a tarp off the end even make a nice dry garage of sorts to repair the day's damage. I frequently use them for dual sport rides as a camper, garage and hauler. I was very happy to have that space when we had a biblical rain storm for one of those rides.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 07:58 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Full size Chevy longbed, so you can close the tailgate with all your junk around your bike. Never had an issue with Ancra Tiedowns, even with the S-hook. If you've got 2 bikes in there, I wrap a bungee cord around the crossed grips, triangulates and tightens things up real nicely.

Horror stories.
Bike trailer, over a bump the rear tire of one of the bikes pops out of the rail, and starts dragging, late at night. Went through the tire and through about half of the rim. Always bungee the tire into the rail.

Bicycle tied onto the back of a truck. Bike falls off, and get dragged for, oh, I'd say, 100 miles. !!!!!. Dragged to death. Happy Jack's wife was pissed, she was very, very attached to that bicycle.
Apparently, that was her childhood bicycle, and she'd had it for over 25 years. I tried not to laugh.

Johnny had his old YZ490 in his truck. Someone pulled out in front of him, and he took evasive maneuvers. Bike leaned over, tiedown popped of, S type hook, and bike launched itself out of the back of his Datsun, mangling said truck pretty good. The 490 was unscathed.

How about some more motorcycle transport horror stories? We'll call them, "Learning experiences".
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
....Johnny had his old YZ490 in his truck. Someone pulled out in front of him, and he took evasive maneuvers. Bike leaned over, tiedown popped of, S type hook, and bike launched itself out of the back of his Datsun, mangling said truck pretty good. The 490 was unscathed.

I had a tie down break in my Datsun King Cab doing the same thing on the way home from a dealer with my brand new '76 KE125 in back and crease the tank. Must be a Datsun thing.

Speaking of panic stops, one thing I have learned about hitch carriers is that between the little bit of stretch in the straps and the long travel suspension on a dirt bike they can move a lot under hard braking. So I carry mine with the handlebar against the back glass with a pad between. I had the bike smack the hell out of the back glass during an interstate panic stop once. So now I just put it there to start with.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 01:24 PM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #26
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
A buddy of mine hauled his HD Heritage around for over 3 years on a daily basis with a hydraulic platform mounted to the back of his RV. Scared the shit out of me just thinking about it. One day he was rolling along the highway and heard what sounded like a gun shot, then another and another. The lift was pulling the back panel of the RV off! The sounds were panel fasteners snapping. Luckily he got the damn thing off and replaced with a trailer before something really bad happened. The thought of a big pig like that bouncing down the road is pretty scary shit.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
All 4 straps pulling the bike forward against a very small (low) front wheel stop. It looks like it would go forward and off very easy.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Your hitch carrier is cheap, and your straps aren't right. That's your problem.

The front tire stop needs to be higher. I don't know why carrier companies put that junk on the front, but it needs to be at least 12 to 18 inches high IMO.

The channel looks like it should be heavier.

Add 2 more straps to your hook up, all the way in the back, pulling the bike backwards. Front straps pulling foreword, rear straps pulling backwards, 2 in the center for piece of mind

Secure the rims to the channel. Should just need a strap wrapped through and around, nothing crazy.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #29
rallyhound
Macho stud guy

Oddometer: 868
I would Never think of rolling big fat KLR on my hitch mount carrier. No f'in way. Ever.[/QUOTE]

Works quite nicely thank you.

Been doing it for years.

You dont have to wish me luck for me to know that I need it.
rallyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #30
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Is it an adventure if you tow your bike?
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote