Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #31
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Awesome ride! Can't wait for the rest...

Ditto on the DR. I put over 30k on my first DR and it was still running when I traded it. I would love to get 70k out of my new one. Was he the original owner?
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #32
Remarksman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Talking Great so far!

So that's what Scott has been up to this summer!

...waiting for more...
Remarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #33
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remarksman View Post
So that's what Scott has been up to this summer!

...waiting for more...
It will come...decided to ride down the Coast to Sunset Bay to camp with my brother for the weekend vs. nerding off on the computer. Now...back to uploading pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
Ditto on the DR. I put over 30k on my first DR and it was still running when I traded it. I would love to get 70k out of my new one. Was he the original owner?
Regarding John's DR650, I'll let him tell you about the history of the bike (He's been working out of town since we got back). But his maintainence has been VERY minimal. I don't think he's ever washed it, and all that crap they say you MUST do to a stock DR650, he didn't do. Can't remember the exact number, but the number of time he's changed the oil is in single digits. I think he had some drive train issues once (worn sprokets), but other than that just tires, tires, tires. He does have a aftermarket pipe, pumper carb and upgraded suspension, and the bike hauls ass. Pretty impressive considering how he rides it.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #34
Easy-Z
Me wanna be

Oddometer: 3,417
I subscribed so you better finish this one.

This may be my trip next year. Keep it coming.
Easy-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
I ran in to these guys in Rifle CO at the campground,very proper ADVrs. I rode a street bike. (pussy)

We had a good storm that night and Jessie slpet in a hammock

I wanna see the rest Scott, get yer nerd on

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #36
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
It will come...decided to ride down the Coast to Sunset Bay to camp with my brother for the weekend vs. nerding off on the computer. Now...back to uploading pictures.

Regarding John's DR650, I'll let him tell you about the history of the bike (He's been working out of town since we got back). But his maintainence has been VERY minimal. I don't think he's ever washed it, and all that crap they say you MUST do to a stock DR650, he didn't do. Can't remember the exact number, but the number of time he's changed the oil is in single digits. I think he had some drive train issues once (worn sprokets), but other than that just tires, tires, tires. He does have a aftermarket pipe, pumper carb and upgraded suspension, and the bike hauls ass. Pretty impressive considering how he rides it.

I love me some Sunset Bay...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #37
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Day 5 –Wednesday, July 25, 2012 –Camelot! Ut to Green River, UT

Ahh, sleeping on grass - probably my favorite surface to camp on. As rested and clean as we would be for the next few days, we head out with an earlyish start. We follow the same canyon where Camelot was located in, and the scenery continues to be awe inspiring.

Beautiful Canyon Country

After a bit we get to Argyle Canyon which opens up a bit, and we put the gas on. Somehow I catch the other guys off guard and run in the front putting on as much speed as I felt comfortable with. It’s nice to run fast on deserted roads first thing in the morning. However, soon I don’t see the guys in my mirrors, and even at my speed, that’s rare. I pull over and wait a bit, but after a couple minutes I turn around and head back to see what’s up. I come upon a small garage sale, with Jessie sitting on a berm and John checking out his bike. I see some parts that normally are attached to Jessie’s bike laying around it instead. Turns out he was jumping off some rain diverters right below the series of cattle guards we passing through. One of them caught him with a tighter turn right after the cattle guard. It’s hard to turn when your tires aren’t on the ground.

Jessie Goes Boom

John lending a hand while…

Jessie takes pictures.

Out came the zip ties, duct tape, rubber bands and maybe even some epoxy. Few small spots of road rash where his clothes rode up and a few scratches was the extent of his personal damage. MX gear and armor saved him from injury.

Eventually we make it to Wellington, and got gas and fuel (Subway). We topped off our Camelbacks the best we could in the bathroom sink, but should have taken on more water now that we were entering the desert.

Conditions Worsen

The ride south of Wellington found us in the hot and dry desert. After Buckhorn Reservoir (no water) the going starts to get pretty tough. There is some loose sandy washes to cross and get’s a bit more technical. Eventually the ride follows along an old railroad grade, but it crawls off this grade where it has washed away and gets more technical.

The WR feels right at home

Diggin the desert

Creepy Rocks, they look like people up there

Beware the weird lizard rock

Big Skys and Awesome Scenery

Not sure what this is, some sort of storage I guess

The Railroad Grade

By this point we figure we are using more water than we planned and so there will be no camping out here unless we find water. So I find a nice shady spot and decide that we might as well take a break and enjoy a cold beverage that we were saving for camp to help us hydrate, and look at our options. Green River looks like a good goal as it has a Campground in town. Back on the bikes we spread out quite a bit and after a long haul make it to Green River pretty tired and burnt. Dinner is Arbys and 3.2% beer. Jessie and John go for a swim while I opt for a shower instead. This was probably the hardest day so far and just the beginning of the desert. Our humid Oregon heritage was showing.

Not a lot of trees out here

Next up - we thought today was HOT...

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703

Scott_PDX screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 11:30 PM
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #38
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
more please ....
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #39
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #40
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Loving the awesome photos. Owwwwee for Jessie.
Looking forward to more...photos I mean, not yard sales.
PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #41
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,918
Great ride report gentlemen. Wish I was there.
Now Jessie... Keep the shiny side up brother.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #42
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Finally a break

Well, here we go. Scott is rockin' on this report and here I am salivating for more and I was there. For christ sake get moving.

The first few days are a blur for me. With mormon country the liquor store is the only place to purchase boos of proper quality or quantity. So we opted for hard instead of soft. This led to some interesting mornings for sure. Scott and Jesse are great companions and this trip was a real treat for me. The country was amazing and yes the 4 am wake up calls led to some wonderful sunrises. Missed a few sunsets though. I haven't traveled much of this part of the country so a lot of scenery was new to me. As a newbie my camera taking was a little shy of "dumbass why didn't you take a pic there". A talk a lot in my helmet and didn't realize it until I watched the videos from the go pro I will load here. Lot's of yee ha's and holy shits that was sweet. So make all the fun you want of my screaming and yelling at the grass and trees we pass.

First evening arrival

Yah we made it to Pocatello. I have to admit I didn't drive a lick and enjoyed the slumber in the back seat quite nicely. Sorry boys....

First thing out first fill up first problem. Jesse leaves his wallet on the little concrete post at the gas pump. Christ!!! Scott and I waiting for him to return from the 2 hour ride back to investigate the disappearance. Now Jesse is a wonderful companion and works like a horse, but maybe at 22 a little green under the collar. Maybe when he loses it a few more times like us older boys, he'll do the double and triple check prior to leaving the station. It turned out to not be a problem at all for the trip though. Scott and I were prepared to help, so no worries. And Jesse does have a smattering of street smarts. He did split up his money between wallet and bike. We'd both do anything for Jesse, as he is a rockin partner to have by your side, and I wouldn't put it past him to jump in front of a bus to save our asses any day. Or come save us from the depths of a canyon on his wee 250itty. Dropping from a 650 to the 250 seemed like strange choice to me, but don't underestimate Jesse he is a very advanced rider. A pic for young ladies, he is single you know.......

And heading into the Coast Guard very soon.

A little show of force from the 250. Sorry bout the length my editing skills are minimal at this stage with my new hero.

With these videos I will try and indicate the time sections that are what I consider a little more fun to watch. Videos are meant to be interesting and some of mine got away from me.

Start at 1:00 minute for best viewing interest.
[IMG][/IMG]

A few photos from the first few days. As much as I tried I could not slow down for much of the trip, so some of the photos may be self taken. Scott is much better at breaking for a good photo op. Me on the other hand, well, I'm kinda of a throttle on or throttle off sort of rider. When in doubt ya know........ I also find that at 12000 feet the DR doesn't run quite as fast as she does at sea level. No complaints though, she rocked the entire length of the trip and as of today at 74464 miles on her has never left me stranded. And still wheelies at 35 mph with little effort.

Self portrait as said..... I think I was a few miles in front of the boys, but they soon catch the big bike....

Our first in the woods camp spot. Scott tries to tuck in the trees as we crossed a small stream with a sign that said stay on road...

Little boy wonder flying up the road..................

[IMG][/IMG]

YES I SMOKE! A little later when we camp at 12500 ft it will take it's toll on my rest.

Here comes Scott.......

[IMG][/IMG]

Yes I do have a wee one,

but Jesses' is smaller, at least that's what she said...........

More too come........................................

DR650 Maintenance schedule according to ass river to follow........ I would love to show a flow of change, but to lazy to look for pics from 2009 till now. Sorry, here's how it went. For those interested.....

March 2009 purchased a new XT250, 3 months later came the purchase of a brand spanking new 2009 DR650SE. This is where I begin an adventure of the most amazing bike I will ever own. The XT sits from then on and the DR gets some farkling. In the end I think the farkles have out priced the cost of the bike. That's OK though, my next bike is guess what! Another DR. Hee Hee

So fast forward 3 years and we have a very expensive 2009 DR650SE with 74464 miles on the odo. Now bear in mind these are my first bikes and I don't know jack shit about maintenance... so in this time frame we have had 8 oil changes, 22 rear tires and 12 front tires. I have done absolutely nothing recommended by the Dr650 folks on the Dr650 thread. Never had a gasket changed and only had one mishap with rear wheel bearings. Actually cush hub bearings, but replaced all rear wheel bearings at the time. Had to purchase a new cush drive as well. I know it's a lot of tires, but if you ride with me you'll understand. I've replaced the chain once, had the shocks replaced with something better than the total shit that comes with the bike. This was done when I replaced the chain and noticed it had rubbed a .5 inch gap in the swing arm. Still to date probably need to have that swing arm fixed. 40000 miles later though and no problems with it. And the chain could probably last another 10k I figure. I put in a little fuel filter in line. Does that count as maintenance? Well, that's it. I did the 8th oil change after this trip and did notice a lot of fine metal powder in the oil. Oh well, probably normal. I expect to get 100000 prior to the next one.

Now comes my opinion on maintenance. This has no real experience in it, except what has happened to me on my DR. I feel people are wrenching too much on their bikes. Put gas in it, turn the key on hit the start button on hold on. Well, hold on once you replace the carb and exhaust. Replace the tires as needed, for me every 2 weeks in the summer. Change the oil when you can't see the shiny metal at the back of the oil window. That's it. Leave the rest to chance...........And wear sunscreen! Everybody's free! Or so it goes.

[IMG][/IMG]

MORE TO COME, back to 10 hour days to catch up.......

Ride it!

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500

asrvivor screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 04:54 PM Reason: add photo
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #43
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Thanks for the updates John, welcome back. Haven't seen that Sunscreen video, it's very timely given how I feel TODAY!

I'm goin away for the next week (Salmon Fishing), so won't have more updates in the next few days (Unless I get Wifi at Ft Stevens). Still have lots of pictures and stories to share though!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #44
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Some free time

So moving on to some of the days following the first few mishaps. This country is beyond imagination and should be experienced. My hats off to the GPS track makers for this UTBDR. http://www.utbdr.com Make a point in the "life of your riding" to do this route. No matter where your from the beauty will blow your mind. And stop a few times more than I did. Memories fade to quickly and pics bring them back. A few words about our glorious route identifier Scott. Scott as I understand has not been riding too long. It did not show on this trip. Only one drop I believe (or that he told us about) and almost every alternate route on the map he was willing to give a try. Jesse and I are a little more "what's the worst that can happen"? Scott led us much of the way and we turned around only once. This turn around was while I was leading of course. There was just no way across that 100 foot gap without a block and tackle system, although Jesse wanted to try. Hats off to you also Scott. And thanks for the use of the truck and trailer. We would blown 2 days each way getting to and fro on the bikes.

So...... on to the memory jogger mode, and the more interesting than my crappy writing part of this thread.

[IMG][/IMG]

Stay on the road or be shot is the theme in a lot of areas. Happy to abide though as long as we get to ride thru....

There was a lot of this......

I should mention here that I did study de-watering a DR650 prior to the OBDR last year, so the submersion of the DR at one of the water crossing didn't have me too worried. First time it has been killed that way though. I was a little more worried about how I alone was going to get the bike out of the water. Muffler filled with water, airbox full, and me sitting in water up to my mid section.

Absolute joy to have happen! Why you ask? Guess who crossed first and was getting off his bike, Jesse. No worries now here he comes to help. Jumped right in and pulled me out. Like I said "right in front of a bus for you anytime....."

Don't go to the right here

Moving on to the very very heavy rain storm at camp.... Scott is the only one with a tent you can sit up in at this time. So Jesse and I stuck it out as long as we could...

It did stop raining after a bit though.

Take special notice of the large warm fire, brought to you courtesy of your friendly neighborhood travel trailer folks. I approached a camper when the rain started and asked if they had a piece of dry newspaper I could have. Remember the DR has been almost completely under water by this time. So a lot of wet gear to dry out.
The response from the camper was you don't start a fire in the rain with newspaper. He and his partner broke from their dinner with a large group of campers and jumped into action. We had already collected some fire wood and were preparing to use the jetboil to start the fire. "Oh no" they said and followed me back to our camp with 2 gallons of white gas. Well, F'n Eh if that aint a linkweewee way of doing things.

Scott did come out of his tent when this happened.

And then there was this............

Now Scott has mentioned that I have a favorite time of the day. Morning, really really early morning. These are why! Self portrait here.

Early morning!

While I love the group riding aspect of motorcycling, once the helmet goes on it's just you and your thoughts. Probably why I love Scuba diving also. No phones ringing, no texts, nobody, but you. Hence the early morning wake up calls. Just me-build the fire get some coffee going watch the wildlife that only comes out when it's just prior to light. And there was a ton of it. We'll get into that later. One piece of advice about the wildlife for those that haven't seen a bear on their bike yet. If you jump off your bike to follow a bear over a cliff to get a picture. And it just crossed the road. Make sure it is a full grown bear. Jesse and I did just this and looked and looked for the bear over the cliff. So I threw a rock where I thought it was. 20 feet from us pops up a very small head, Jesse yells RUN!!! And so I proceed to shove him behind me and run for the bikes. Alas, momma was not right behind us on the road. Thank god I can still think fast. As I ran for the road I thought to myself "If that momma bear is right behind us" I will certainly have to trip Jesse and run like hell.

Ok' Enough of the "what I would do if I was being chased by a bear and had a good friend close to me..."

We move up and it cools off.

We put on more gear.

Where is scott, which way man..last nights rain left for some interesting road conditions up here. I believe this is where scott rolled up and said I slipped.

Ok, At exactly 40 seconds you see what riding with someone for a long time does. Jesse comes to a stop and wonders which way to go. watch my helmet. No words needed. perfect! I love when your riding partners need no verbal instructions.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then we roll into this.............mind blowing I tell ya.

It was kinda like opening a door all the sudden. The landscape changed and you were in a different world. Or on a different planet.

[IMG][/IMG]

Probably my favorite video. We tried to dry camp, but the allure of a shower and shiiter was too much. So we pulled into here

[IMG][/IMG]

No tent needed for this campground. Perfect.....
Jesse and I do laundry

Scott hops in the shower. Then Jesse and I tell Scott we are heading up to the top of that spire there. Take our pics when we get up there. Cool he says.

Amazing up here.....

Nothing like getting your pic taken while your taking a pic. Blurry, but you get the point.

Scott gives the signal and we relax for a great evening. Sleeping under the stars is another one of those have to do things.

This happens....

We settle down and Jesse has to fix something. Nothing new here

Man she is running good for this altitude. I did not bring extra jets to change out and was very lucky she kept running.

The next day leads to this.......

Scott realigns Jesses rear end.

Even after scott rear end adjustment Jesse is still a little crooked.

Hope this isn't to personal to show Jesse. If I hadn't been right behind you when you decided that the oncoming cattle guard would be perfect to bunny hop a jump out of, I wouldn't have posted these. I will admit when I saw the bike go end over end and Jesse sliding down the road, I was a little worried. When he came to a rest I jumped off my bike and yelled "stay down." At 22 and great shape Jesse was ready to jump up and run to check on his bike.

He sat for about 15 minutes and we were back on the road in about 30. Schweet. No real damage, but pride. You see just passed the neat jump of a cattle guard was a 90 degree right hand turn. Well, Jesse jumped real nice, and landed in the apex of the turn. Locking up his breaks instead of heading into the brush ended with what you see here. Still after finding Jesse alright I thought back and said "Damn why didn't I have my go pro on". Yep, I love ADV.

Now believe it or not we found the cap for that chain lube and continued to use it as I recall.

Believe it or not we put this back on and got it working also. Well, after getting a new bulb

We head into town for gas and a bulb. Then we head into the desert. It was hot....

Scott gets a little tired of the pavement quick. Out of my way buddy we're on an adventure here.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Full speed ahead. Love these roads.
[IMG][/IMG]

We find some of this.

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500

asrvivor screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 04:59 PM Reason: add photo
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #45
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Gotta' Love the big DR650!

Quote:
DR650 Maintenance schedule according to ass river to follow........ I would love to show a flow of change, but to lazy to look for pics from 2009 till now. Sorry, here's how it went. For those interested.....

March 2009 purchased a new XT250, 3 months later came the purchase of a brand spanking new 2009 DR650SE. This is where I begin an adventure of the most amazing bike I will ever own. The XT sits from then on and the DR gets some farkling. In the end I think the farkles have out priced the cost of the bike. That's OK though, my next bike is guess what! Another DR. Hee Hee

So fast forward 3 years and we have a very expensive 2009 DR650SE with 74464 miles on the odo. Now bear in mind these are my first bikes and I don't know jack shit about maintenance... so in this time frame we have had 8 oil changes, 22 rear tires and 12 front tires. I have done absolutely nothing recommended by the Dr650 folks on the Dr650 thread. Never had a gasket changed and only had one mishap with rear wheel bearings. Actually cush hub bearings, but replaced all rear wheel bearings at the time. Had to purchase a new cush drive as well. I know it's a lot of tires, but if you ride with me you'll understand. I've replaced the chain once, had the shocks replaced with something better than the total shit that comes with the bike. This was done when I replaced the chain and noticed it had rubbed a .5 inch gap in the swing arm. Still to date probably need to have that swing arm fixed. 40000 miles later though and no problems with it. And the chain could probably last another 10k I figure. I put in a little fuel filter in line. Does that count as maintenance? Well, that's it. I did the 8th oil change after this trip and did notice a lot of fine metal powder in the oil. Oh well, probably normal. I expect to get 100000 prior to the next one.

Now comes my opinion on maintenance. This has no real experience in it, except what has happened to me on my DR. I feel people are wrenching too much on their bikes. Put gas in it, turn the key on hit the start button on hold on. Well, hold on once you replace the carb and exhaust. Replace the tires as needed, for me every 2 weeks in the summer. Change the oil when you can't see the shiny metal at the back of the oil window. That's it. Leave the rest to chance...........And wear sunscreen! Everybody's free! Or so it goes

John,

Thanks for the reply! I haved owned many different bikes, but like you, I love the big DR650. It's always good to read reports of high milage machines, but 75,000 miles of off-road riding in three years, with minimal maintenence and very few problems, has gotta' be a record of some kind.

Hopefully my current DR650 turns out to be as reliable as yours.

The ride report and photos that you guys have put together is great!

Ride Safe,

Taz

TaZ9 screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 04:18 PM Reason: quote tags
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote