User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,518
Nice Mountain Road east of Los Angeles

Nothing like a Monday morning to go discover a road I've never been on. North of L.A. running to the east are the San Gabriel Mtns, so that's where I'm heading.

I'll take this,

to go find this,

and go ride these,

Within about an hour of leaving home I was at my first stop. Lots of evidence of how dry it has been of late. Just over the very top right of the pic is downtown L.A., about 35 miles out.

Lots of nice riding up here at about 3-4000', and nobody around!

The end of the road is at the Mt. Baldy Rec area, a popular area for day hikers.

Upon leaving the Baldy area, I headed directly south into the pretty little mecca of Claremont. You can see a common occurrence here in SoCal, the inversion layer, and she's pressing down on our smog.

Now out of the mountains, I headed south about another hour to the Lake Elsinore area. From Elsinore, I can catch Hwy 74(Ortega Hwy) back toward home, and some heat relief.

Lastly, this is a popular biker joint on the Ortega Hwy. I've never been in the place, but from what I gather, it's a good draw for the Harley folks.

Lots of good riding in & around L.A., especially on a Monday morning.

Thanks for taggin' along.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 374
Flashback !!! I lived in Upland 30 years ago and rode GMR all the time. Man that's a fun road !
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Hey Samthg -- Not a bad way to spend a Monday am. You got some good pics of the twisties.

I have a nephew currently at Pitzer College (Claremont), and two older ones who recently graduated (Pomona and Pitzer).

Amazing how you can find roads relatively close to home that you haven't been on. I've been trying to cover every dirt road in Southwest Utah. Certainly been on most, but there are still a few on my "to do" list. Always possible to expand your horizons. Always more roads to find -- and good to repeat the best ones endlessly.

The B-day ride for StG is still "on" but we haven't made a firm plan yet, more of a concept at this point. I've been chasing StG through canyons in Zion recently. Serious stuff. That boy knows his ropes.

Ok, good little RR. Nice distraction. Carry on!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote