User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
scaryfast OP
Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer: 546
Scaryfast's KTM 640 Adventure Build

I've built a lot of different bikes over the years but never really documented the build or did any kind of thread showing the progress. I like to get them just right then decide I want to move onto something else. Working in the industry I've developed a serious case of motorcycle ADD and can't decide on one bike for very long.

I've done Supermoto's:

photo DSC00260.jpg

950 Adventure

photo 950adv20001Big.jpg

950 SMR

photo 34612010466.jpg

950 Super Enduro

photo 950SuperEnduro004.jpg

690 SMR

photo IMG_5378_zps66cfad8f.jpg

Hyper S

photo Hyper002.jpg

I just picked up a 2007 KTM 640 Adventure from an inmate and thought I would document the build. I've got a long list of things I plan on doing and will post here as I do them. I want the end result to be a very capable dualsport bike that has the potential to be raced in a Hare Scramble or two if the mood hits.

Here is the bike:

2007 KTM 640 Adventure
16,800 Miles
One Owner
Extensive Maintenance Records

photo 2014-04-05064108_zps58907952.jpg

A sample of what I plan on doing to it:

Springs and Valving
Keihn FCR
Bars
Hand Guards
Double Take Mirrors
Wheels
Right Rotor Delete with new Master Cylinder
Taller / Flatter Seat
Carbon Fiber
Chain / Sprockets
A good once over as I'm doing the mods
Hopefully ride the crap out of it......

I have some parts on the way and will start to document the tear down here in the next few days once I clean the customer bikes out of the garage!

If anyone has any recommendations on good mods a long the way please post here!!
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 450SX-F Factory Edition
scaryfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
gen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Nice! I had a '03 LC4 (in Supermoto trim) and loved it.

Why delete the right rotor? That's one of the 640 ADV's unique features. I suppose it doesn't really need two rotors up front off road but still...

You may want to look into Dirt Tricks for sprockets.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 690 Enduro | 640 LC4 SM (sold)
gen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
caribooster
Not enough time...

Oddometer: 41
640 Mods

You are off to a good start with your proposed mods. One area which you did not mention was the exhaust. By installing the FCR and letting it breath with a free flowing exhaust you will increase the performance without sacrificing reliability. I have the FCR on one side and a full AKRO system letting it flow out. This allows it breathes nice and give you a little more snap.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,563
Scary,
Who is gonna do the suspension?

I think KTM went to a twin disc set up to equalize stress on the rim, spokes and hub but that's just my idea. The single brake wheel tore itself apart on asphalt.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #5
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Scary,

I think KTM went to a twin disc set up to equalize stress on the rim, spokes and hub but that's just my idea. The single brake wheel tore itself apart on asphalt.

bill
I've never heard of a single disc wheel tearing itself apart, there are plenty of heavy supermotos out there to prove that this is a complete non-issue. There was an issue with the DID rims on the LC4 ADV around 2002, but those got solved by simply putting some clips on the spokes or going to an Excel rim. No other year or model had that problem, including LC4 supermotos with single discs.

With a 21"/18" setup that presumably gets ridden on the dirt a good part of it, the single disc feels noticeably lighter and gives better suspension action, especially when combined with a 1.6 or 1.85" wide front rim, and provides sufficient braking performance for the limited grip that most 21" tires provide.

If you are riding it on the street only then the stock setup is better, but then you are on the wrong bike anyway.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 AM   #6
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Scary,

bill
I think it was to do with marketing because its completely unnecessary. The marketing people thought that the buyers think adventure bikes are supposed to have twin disks, that or it was convenient to use the same available parts bins as the LC8s. IMHO...
Old 04-08-2014, 03:38 AM   #7
scaryfast OP

The dual front disks are way overkill in my opinion....that and they are oversized compared to a normal dirt bike anyway. They have way more stopping power then an offroad bike needs, especially with knobbies. Swapping to a single disk and a smaller master cylinder will give better feel when offroad and drop some weight in the process.

As far as the exhaust, I agree, the full akro will give it more but the conversion to the FCR isn't just for power. My main reason in doing so is to give it better throttle response and limit the vacuum carb flutter and stalling issue when the going gets rough. The carb is on the way, found a great deal on a pre-owned off a 450SX. This bike still has the emissions canister on it which needs to be pulled off too.

I'll be doing the suspension myself. Springs are on the way, I'm going with .54's in the front where stocks I believe are .46's or .48's and replacing the 7.0 in the rear with an 8.5.
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
You found one Bryan!

I'd love to see what all you're doing and maybe help turn a wrench. Gotta learn how to work on mine too. Drop me a line if you need/want some help. I'm good at
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,593
KTM lists an 8lbs weight difference between the single disk {03 and earlier} and the dual disk Adventures... So it is likely that the second rotor, slave cylinder, extra brake line and heavier fender contribute a bit of weight... The other thing that my 03 bikes never came equipped with that shows up on some later models is the SAS rigging, this probably adds another pound of excess.. On my 03 I swapped out the battery to a lithium ion and the exhaust to a lighter SXC unit and saw around a 10lb weight savings...

So you may be looking at an 18lbs drop in weight off your 07 if you go the extra step of swapping the battery and could probably go a little lighter on your planned respring... The 07 comes stock with .46 up front, I've run the 950s .48 springs and found they stiffen it up quite a bit.. You may want to rethink the .54s and go with .50s or .52s up front...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
scaryfast OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
So you may be looking at an 18lbs drop in weight off your 07 if you go the extra step of swapping the battery and could probably go a little lighter on your planned respring... The 07 comes stock with .46 up front, I've run the 950s .48 springs and found they stiffen it up quite a bit.. You may want to rethink the .54s and go with .50s or .52s up front...
Thanks for the opinion on the springs....I run .48's on my 450SX-F, I can't imagine a bike that weights so much more then that only needing .50's. Heck....it's 40# more just in fuel and to top it off I'm 220# in street clothes. I've seen a pattern from KTM on their Adventure bikes of being way too soft....the 950 I had .57's made and should have went heavier.
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
scaryfast OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
You found one Bryan!

I'd love to see what all you're doing and maybe help turn a wrench. Gotta learn how to work on mine too. Drop me a line if you need/want some help. I'm good at
I was able to find one....it wasn't easy finding the one I wanted though!

I'll see how everything plays out....with my schedule and the youngsters I find myself in the garage during the week after 8:00pm or in the mornings all done before 5:00am!! (My wife Manages a Starbucks and goes in at 3:15am).

I'm sure we'll be able to hook up...in the meantime if you have any questions let me know....I'm chomping at the bit and can't wait to tear into it!
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
Thanks for the opinion on the springs....I run .48's on my 450SX-F, I can't imagine a bike that weights so much more then that only needing .50's. Heck....it's 40# more just in fuel and to top it off I'm 220# in street clothes. I've seen a pattern from KTM on their Adventure bikes of being way too soft....the 950 I had .57's made and should have went heavier.
My 640 was under sprung right from the get go, it had .44 springs as delivered from the factory... I bumped up to a set of 950 springs and found that the bike would rarely bottom, in fact it spent most of the time in the top half of the stroke and was not using 100% of the available travel as much as it should... I dropped down one spring rate lower and found that to be the best comprimise for my type of riding...

It sounds like your planned use for the bike is to take in some pretty rough ground and with a 220lbs rider maybe 54s would fit the bill..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:16 AM   #13
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I've never heard of a single disc wheel tearing itself apart, there are plenty of heavy supermotos out there to prove that this is a complete non-issue. There was an issue with the DID rims on the LC4 ADV around 2002, but those got solved by simply putting some clips on the spokes or going to an Excel rim. No other year or model had that problem, including LC4 supermotos with single discs.

With a 21"/18" setup that presumably gets ridden on the dirt a good part of it, the single disc feels noticeably lighter and gives better suspension action, especially when combined with a 1.6 or 1.85" wide front rim, and provides sufficient braking performance for the limited grip that most 21" tires provide.

If you are riding it on the street only then the stock setup is better, but then you are on the wrong bike anyway.
KTM Tech Bulletin

09/01/025/HQ-E / Campaigncode
!!! RECALL
Author: BK
Subject:
FRONT WHEEL
Model:
LC4 640 ADVENTURE MY 01, 02, 03
Restriction:
None – see vehicle history in dealer.net and attached excel list
Countries:
all
Initial Information:
During production it has occurred that front wheels have been manufactured on tolerance limits.
On the 640 Adventure model – with its high admissible overall weight and the high brake forces on the large 320 mm disc brake - an unfavourable overlap of these tolerance limits (tightening torque of spoke nipples, torsion angle between rim and hub…) in combination with inadequate maintenance can result in an increased stress of single spokes and therefore in their reduced lifetime.
For this reason the currently mounted front wheel is to be replaced by a new wheel with a modified hub (new spoke-bore drilling layout).
The front wheel is to be replaced as a whole.
Procedure for repair/replacement:
Dismount the complete front wheel from the motorcycle, demount the tire and the brake disc.
Mount the same tire and the same brake disc with new screws (6 x 590 09 062 013) and locking on the new wheel (584.09.001.944) and re-mount the new wheel in the motorcycle.
Please mark the failure wheel with the VBK-number of the motorcycle – with waterproof felt-marker and clearly readable – and return it back to the KTM subsidiary or KTM importer.
Returning the failure wheel is a condition for being credited.
Seite 1 von 2
Input warranty claim:
Warranty type:
TI - Warrany
Component group:
09 (front wheel)
Failure code:
900 (trouble-shooting at manufacturer´s site)
Failure causing part:
503.09.010.144 (front hub)
Campaign code:
G.05.014.09 Modification Front Wheel
Parts:
584.09.001.944 (front wheel complete)
6 x 590 09 062 013 (M6 x 13 screws

Lukas,
Yes they did a new wheel but why is the question.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #14
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 393
I didn't buy my 03 640A new but it has the KTM recall upgrade to an Excel front rim from the stock front rim which was made of cheese.... They are still buying front rims and fork springs from the same cheese factory they have been using since at least 2003. Someone's getting a kickback at the factory surely...
Old 04-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #15
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,626
At 220 lbs I think your spring selection will be fine. I weight 185 lbs in street clothes and had Super Plush do the suspension on my '07 640. We went with .50's in front and 8.4 in the rear for traveling with luggage. I'm very pleased with the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
I'll be doing the suspension myself. Springs are on the way, I'm going with .54's in the front where stocks I believe are .46's or .48's and replacing the 7.0 in the rear with an 8.5.