Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #46
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by empedrado View Post
But they should warn folks about dust. With those little feet on the box I naturally assumed it was ok to sit on the ground. Well in our dusty part of the world the vibration makes its own little dust cloud that just gets sucked into the pump.
In all fairness:

Don't know when you bought your bestrest pump, but the ones they're selling now have warnings all over them, not only in the manual but also a huge sticker on the pump itself, to not put it down anywhere it can suck in sand or dust. I'm not saying a dustproof solution wouldn't be better, but nobody could rightfully claim, for the pumps they're selling today, that there isn't ample warning. You really can't miss it.

This may be a recent thing based on customer feedback (I have no idea).

As for whether it's worth gutting it yourself, whether the tough casing is useful or not, probably depends on where you're taking it and how much your time is worth. I'm not that handy for a start; plus I like being able to just toss the pump in a pannier and not worry about it getting damaged. I also bought it on sale when shipping, their gauge (which I like) and an instructional DVD were all included free of charge, making it a better deal. Also, it comes with multiple connectors, one of which plugs into an outlet already present on my bike, saving a couple $ extra and making it real easy to use (plug and play).

When I looked at cheapo's online, I always noticed the number of negative reviews on most of the cheap pumps. Perhaps there are 100 happy customers for every negative review; it just made me hesitant. And yes, I know the components inside the cyclepump are largely the same or similar.

Not trying to restart the discussion. Just explaining how I got to my decision (and pointing out the ample warning labels on the product).

Enjoy the ride.
kevinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #47
Timthai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I've had a Slime pump for a while, it came in a fairly sturdy zippered vinyl case. It had an SAE socket in the compressor, with a fairly long cable and regular lighter plug on the other end... I cut the cable just long enough to comfortably reach both wheels from the socket under the seat, and put a BMW/Euro plug on it. I put a Euro socket on the other piece of cable so I could connect the two cables so I could use it in the car if needed.

I just picked up a smaller Slime pump at Pep Boys for $10 that I'm about to do the same cable surgery on, and it will fit in the vinyl case from the original one, and fit my rope and mushroom plugs and other tire tools in the case as well.

I haven't had to use it on the GS yet but I used it regularly on the Multistrada and the car. I also carry CO2 as a back up.

In my mind, smaller is better, even if it takes a few extra minutes to top off a tire.
2011 Multistrada (gone to heaven RIP)
2010 Vulcan 900
Timthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #48
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Why would anyone need a DVD with a tire pump?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #49
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Why would anyone need a DVD with a tire pump?
It was just a promotion they ran. The DVD is about repairing and changing tires on the road. They shipped it with the pump as a promotion (and of course they sell tools for working on tires, too).
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #50
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj View Post
Don't know when you bought your bestrest pump, but the ones they're selling now have warnings all over them
<>
When I looked at cheapo's online, I always noticed the number of negative reviews on most of the cheap pumps. Perhaps there are 100 happy customers for every negative review; it just made me hesitant. And yes, I know the components inside the cyclepump are largely the same or similar.

Not trying to restart the discussion. Just explaining how I got to my decision (and pointing out the ample warning labels on the product).

Enjoy the ride.
Ditto,

All pumps suck in air somewhere. I went the Best Rest route as I have had a cheap (probably Chinese made) car pump fail. I'd rather improve my odds of not having a pump fail when I am stuck somewhere in the outback (although I do carry a hand bicycle pump as an emergency backup, but the thought of spending 2 hours pumping up flat is not appealing). The Best Rest has been flawless to date.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #51
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Ditto,

All pumps suck in air somewhere. I went the Best Rest route as I have had a cheap (probably Chinese made) car pump fail. I'd rather improve my odds of not having a pump fail when I am stuck somewhere in the outback (although I do carry a hand bicycle pump as an emergency backup, but the thought of spending 2 hours pumping up flat is not appealing). The Best Rest has been flawless to date.
Did you actually check and see where that pump in the Best Rest is sourced from? LOL!
Go here and read post #54 which sums things up great.
It's your money, waste it anyway you want. But don't think that the pump inside that $100 item is any different from any other little Chinese pump. As for space and weight concerns, a gutted Chinese wonder is about half the size of the Best Rest. I've also seen small hand pumps that don't take anywhere near 2 hours to pump up a bike tire, ditto for small foot pumps.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #52
Maggot12
Banned

Oddometer: 3,689
I've had the same 9 buck pump for almost 20 yrs. I removed the casing to make it a smaller package.

I've inflated queen air mattresses, kids swimming pools, floatation toys, and countless tires over the years with it. The only way I could see it failing is if wires/connection failed, which would be an easy fix. I don't foresee the direct drive steel piston and gearing failing anytime soon.
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #53
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Another guy here with a $10.00 dollar cheapo little generic pump that I've used for the past 20 odd years, with perfect success and zero complaints.

And when I mean used, I really mean that. Not just "owned" and used for a couple flats on motorcycle tires in 20 years, but used on my 4x4, to pump the Super Swamper LTB tires back up after airing down to 10 psi for off road shenanigans, nearly every weekend.

Holy damn does it take a long time to air up a queen sized air matress though. lol

I just recently bought a tiny $9.99 Slime pump for another bike, and hope it is 1/2 as good as the old one is.

I also have a handful of co2 cartidges for back up plan B but have never needed them.
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #54
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,510
The only failure of my bike's gutted $10.00 inflator, wasn't fast enough to inflate my sister's large tire, my niece was getting impatient like any teenager. And the cord wasn't long enough so had to root through the back of the BIL's old truck to rig a power supply.Think Red-Green here, that's just who my former BIL looks like and acts like, so lots of junk in the truck to improvise.....eventually.

That one is kind of new to me, but 2 different riders found out how useful it could be to get them to air before they wrecked their tires from underinflation. The very old (20-25 yrs) "non gutted" chinese in my car with the very same pump, that one sure got many workouts, never failed. Only tried a mattress once, then told the owner of the mattress that it would probably burn the motor,, but that was just because I did not want to listen to the noisy thing on that Mexican beach.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #55
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you actually check and see where that pump in the Best Rest is sourced from? LOL!
Go here and read post #54 which sums things up great.
It's your money, waste it anyway you want. But don't think that the pump inside that $100 item is any different from any other little Chinese pump. As for space and weight concerns, a gutted Chinese wonder is about half the size of the Best Rest. I've also seen small hand pumps that don't take anywhere near 2 hours to pump up a bike tire, ditto for small foot pumps.
Apart from just regurgitating speculation you know this how?

I guess I am just not as price sensitive as you.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #56
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Go back and read the entire thread that #54 came from.
Your $100 buck pump has the same guts as any other cheapo pump.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #57
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Arrogance makes one think because they paid $100 for something it is better than the cheapo others bought that does the same thing. Shows up time and time again.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #58
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Go back and read the entire thread that #54 came from.
Your $100 buck pump has the same guts as any other cheapo pump.
And you actually have one? even seen one in the flesh? simply parroting other people's posts makes you an instant expert?

Aaaah . . . the joys of the interweb - everyone is an expert and can report as fact something they have never even seen. Now pass me the scalpel, I have read a couple of posts on heart surgery and I'm ready to do a bypass . . .
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #59
kevinj
Gnarly Adventurer

Good heavens, how about everybody shut up and we all go have a beer now? All these points, which were already made in abundance before I ever posted my few lines -- to point out warning labels, remember? -- are now surely so well-represented here they don't need to be repeated again between now and eternity ...

Yes, it's the same stuff, in an aluminum box plus one or two details. Some of us LIKE aluminum boxes. Leave us alone. Go do your laundry or something.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #60
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

You got sucked in with marketing hype and paid a $100 for a cheap pump in a box. Now, how do I know this? Easy. The owner of the company you bought it from admitted the pump is supplied by Campbell- Hausfield. Now, instead of natering at me about this, why dont you see where they get there pumps from? Casting marks might be of assistance to you LOL!