ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
punk OP
Dammed

Oddometer: 43
This ride moved to July 16th/17th

Looking for some people who want to ride from Twisp to Cle Elum on as much trail as possible.

We will be riding up through the Sawtooth Ridge first, Horsehead Pass, Horse Theif Pass, S. Navvare, and down to Chelan. Over Devil's Backbone, Pot Peak Trail, Devil's Backbone Ridge and down to the Entiat Valley. South through the Wenachee Lakes area, over Hwy 2 and up Devil's Gulch. Cross Hwy 97 and end on the trails of Teanaway. Could continue down the second half of the state if enough riders can get the time off.

The goal (can change at any time to keep it fun) is to ride as much single track trail along the way as possible. Some of these are very difficult trails which require you to ride a thumper (if you insist on bringing a twin, I get to ride behind you to spectate).

The pace will be casual, as fast as the slowest person and we will travel as a group (so we will always have enough people when we need to pull out the rope).

Food will be restaurants and trail food, lodging can be motels or dirt bagging it. If I can find a sag wagon, this might change.

I will bump this post to the top early July as a reminder.

Cheers,
Punk

punk screwed with this post 07-02-2005 at 11:26 PM
punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
mlyamkaw
Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer: 403
Sounds like a good ride. I may be up for it, but only if I get my new bike by then. I wouldn't want to ride my 380 on the road sections for very far, and I wouldn't ride my 950 on a lot of the trails you mention.

I think I would like to be in front of anyone that rides a big twin, I wouldn't want to pull one back on the trail.

What will you be riding?
14 KTM 500 EXC
mlyamkaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
punk OP
Dammed

I'll be riding a DR 650. The road sections should be limited to going around Lake Chelan and a couple of short Hwy crossings. You will have to get to the start and then back home at the end though.

What are you going to buy? Seems like you have the dual sport spectrum covered.

punk screwed with this post 05-30-2005 at 04:40 PM
punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Im in unless work changes that...
I love that area.

DRZ400S Ill tow up.

Prefer to camp.

Keep the info comin'!

Cheers

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 718
put me in as a strong maybe. I would be able to go for just the weekend if at all because my work doesn't allow days off during the week.

I will be on a DRZ400S as well. Worst case scenario, I could meet with you guys for one day of riding.

Hey gentry, you thought about sadle bags for your bike? I am interested in a lugage system for mine but it will have to be cheap and I wondered if you have been looking into things.

*sorry about the mild hi-jack
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:10 AM   #6
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250
put me in as a strong maybe. I would be able to go for just the weekend if at all because my work doesn't allow days off during the week.

I will be on a DRZ400S as well. Worst case scenario, I could meet with you guys for one day of riding.

Hey gentry, you thought about sadle bags for your bike? I am interested in a lugage system for mine but it will have to be cheap and I wondered if you have been looking into things.

*sorry about the mild hi-jack
I was actually looking at them last week. Mr. Cob recommended the Dirt-Bagz. I dont want to put more money into the bike right now though so Im miight create a home solution. Tom at Aurora Suzuki said some of his hardcore friends buy those big dog saddle bags from Petsmart and they are made of the same stuff but a LOT cheaper.

Probably look into it this week again when I get some time. I havent built my toolkit for that bike yet and it makes me nervous riding without compressor/patch kit etc.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
I was actually looking at them last week. Mr. Cob recommended the Dirt-Bagz. I dont want to put more money into the bike right now though so Im miight create a home solution. Tom at Aurora Suzuki said some of his hardcore friends buy those big dog saddle bags from Petsmart and they are made of the same stuff but a LOT cheaper.

Probably look into it this week again when I get some time. I havent built my toolkit for that bike yet and it makes me nervous riding without compressor/patch kit etc.
WOW - dog packs are a GREAT IDEA! I even have one from my dog! haha I will test fit that, might need to rig something up to keep the bag off the exhaust though.

No worries about a compressor and a patch kit, just carry a spare 21", some irons, and a bike pump...only takes like 2-400 pumps (sounds like a lot but isn't that bad.)

I made up a little toolkit for mine. 1/4" drive rachet with 8,10,12,14mm deep sockets and a 2.5" extention, two skrew drivers (smaller), 2 alen wrenches (4&5mm) and my multitool (pliars etc).

I actaully used just that stuff to remove my carb and my entire right side engine cover and change my oil last weekend.
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250
WOW - dog packs are a GREAT IDEA! I even have one from my dog! haha I will test fit that, might need to rig something up to keep the bag off the exhaust though.

No worries about a compressor and a patch kit, just carry a spare 21", some irons, and a bike pump...only takes like 2-400 pumps (sounds like a lot but isn't that bad.)

I made up a little toolkit for mine. 1/4" drive rachet with 8,10,12,14mm deep sockets and a 2.5" extention, two skrew drivers (smaller), 2 alen wrenches (4&5mm) and my multitool (pliars etc).

I actaully used just that stuff to remove my carb and my entire right side engine cover and change my oil last weekend.
Yeah, you can see in my avatar Ive got a big pack-dog but I dont think his three packs made it from the last move (sigh). They were pretty tough and even the biggest, toughest one wasnt more than $40 if I remember correctly....

I will probably get the Suzuki rack though. That should enable the bags to hang in a manner where they dont get burnt.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #9
punk OP
Dammed

OK, I've gathered a group of 4 maybes. A couple of us will be riding from Bellingham on Friday. May do a loop north of Twisp on that day, (Starvation Mtn?) and meet at the Cinnamon Twisp Bakery Saturday morning.

So far we will be dirt bagging it, eating real food in towns we pass and gorp when on the trail. No sag wagon in site yet.

I'll bump this thread up to the top at the end of June for a reminder.

Pack light,
Punk
Old 07-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
punk OP
Dammed

This ride has been moved to the 16th/17th.

We'll leave the Cinnomon Twisp Bakery in Twisp WA at 9:00 Sat. morning. A group will leave Bellingham Friday and camp over there, welcome to join.

Saturday we'll make our way through the Sawtooth trails. Lunch in Chelan and up over Devil's Backbone and to Cashmere. May make it may not, could end up camping on Devil's Backbone.

Sunday it's breakfast in Cashmere and South through Devil's Gulch trails. We'll cross Hwy 97 to the Teanaway trail system to end up in Cle Elum for dinner.

A couple of things I should mention: I'll be going slow on the trail sections, I have '92 DR650 and it doesn't singletrack fast (with me on it anyway). If you ride fast and get frustrated waiting for slower riders, this may not be the trip for you. We'll be camping, self-supported, bring trail food for rest stops, stopping at reasturants for hot meals in Twisp, Chelan, Cashmere and Cle Elum. Expect that plans could change in route, that we might get lost and it will be a couple of long days in the saddle over many miles of singletrack. All are welcome that are willing to give it a go.

Cheers,
Punk
Old 07-04-2005, 11:32 PM   #11
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,193
sounds like a great ride, I'd go in a heart beat but family/major project prevents major fun until august.

check this thread,
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=slate+peak

they went the reverse route, wound up at slate peak. you can find a link to a GPS at this link too. very close to the route yer doing.

I rode a lot in roslyn/teanaway area when it was open, its been yrs since I've been there, bastards closed alot, good on ya, sounds like a fun ride. last time I was in devils backbone was a loooong time ago, post pics when your done.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:40 PM   #12
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,117
Enjoy it.

When I (meaning my little'uns) grow up I wanna play in the dirt.

Do us all a favor and post a ride report from this trip. Gentry, you have the power. This country is beautifyl. We needs represent.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:20 AM   #13
punk OP
Dammed

This ride has been moved to the 16th/17th.

Just a reminder of the date change.

So far one fast rider and two slow.

And sure, I'll post a report, if I make it back.

Punk