Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
HighwayMiles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Anyone else nearly been beheaded by their windscreen?

Rode over a 10" log today on my KLR, and found a downside to the +6" windscreen I recently installed. The front end came up and caught me right in the throat - luckily it was off to the side and didn't hit me square in the windpipe, but it was a scary thought.

I'm not quite sure what to do differently next time other than reinstall my stock screen for heavy duty trail rides. It seems like I could always just make sure I'm hanging way off the back, but when that front end jumps up (on whoops too) it seems like a guillotine. Anyone have any advice on keeping my head on its shoulders?
HighwayMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
take off the windshield when riding dirt. You are going to hit things and drop the bike much more often than you would on the road.

The KLR is a huge tank, so it's hard to keep from having back-and-forth motions as much. On a real dirt bike you can control the bike's pich much better.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
matthangen
07' R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 85
Did the same thing on my XRL, punched it to get air over a culvert-bridge that, unbeknown to me, had been washed out on the other side. Felt awesome until I landed and chopped my throat on my high windscreen.
matthangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
When I was riding an F650GS, I put a taller screen on it for highway use. The I was riding a rough state forest dirt road that had some whoop-de-do type bumps in it. I was up on the pegs keeping my head & body still as the bike bucked beneath me. The top of the new windshield hit me in the faceshield. Three times.

Good thing I had the flip-up shield all the way down. On slower speed dirt I often tip it up for more air (I also have glasses on) if there is nobody "roosting" in front of me. I didn't have this happen with the stock height windshield, which I switched back to soon after.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Go to a turbo city with a madstad mount. Allows you to raise or lower it but even better it moves it about 8 or 10" farther forward. Also comes off with 4 thumb screws

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
HighwayMiles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I think getting a different windshield mount is definitely the right idea here. I heard it only takes 8 pounds of pressure to crush your windpipe, which would be easy for a KLR jumping a log to do. It's just hard to know when I'm going to be riding off road, what the obstacles are, and how far I'll have to ride on the highway to reach said trails.
HighwayMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayMiles View Post
I think getting a different windshield mount is definitely the right idea here. I heard it only takes 8 pounds of pressure to crush your windpipe, which would be easy for a KLR jumping a log to do. It's just hard to know when I'm going to be riding off road, what the obstacles are, and how far I'll have to ride on the highway to reach said trails.

Kinda hard to see but the turbo city on the madstad bracket will go down to close to the same height as the stock shield up to eye level and you can lean it back to the same distance as the stock or move it flush with the front of the headlight.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote